VOGONS

First post, by 121Gigwatts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure how to describe this problem, sorry if that does not make sense, I'll try my best to explain.

I have a 19" LCD screen that works fine, except when it comes to refresh the VGA display. For example, go to the bios, save+quit, then the display goes black and print "No signal", then I have to wait a few second for "Analog display" to come back. This is a major annoyance with some older games that love to dynamically change the resolution such as Jazz Jackrabbit (I'm not even able to see some cutscenes that are too short).

I could try to find another monitor but I need more information about this problem so I can find the right one. I don't even know the proper keywords to describe this problem.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Reply 1 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

Which are the specs of the computer where that LCD monitor is connected?

The issue that you are trying to describe seems similar to my experience when I was using a S3 ViRGE/GX video card connected to CRT monitor (not unique to LCD monitors btw) when setting a video mode. That doesn't happen with any other video card that I have (nVidia, Cirrus Logic, Trident and S3 other than ViRGE/GX).

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 5, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It reads like the LCD display is slow to sync on to the changes in video mode? Most digital displays seem to be quite slow at locking on to video modes. I am not sure why that is, but the behavior seems common: most flat panels I are pretty slow at establishing video modes in general, and can take a few seconds to put up the image.

It is interesting to read that the sync speed would change based on the video card that is being used: my understanding is that prior to EDID ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Displa … tification_Data), there isn't much that the video card does when changing video modes: it will immediately begin to push out the video stream using the new video parameters, making establishing the synchronization purely a monitor side problem.

Reply 3 of 5, by 121Gigwatts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-10, 00:40:

Hello.

Which are the specs of the computer where that LCD monitor is connected?

The issue that you are trying to describe seems similar to my experience when I was using a S3 ViRGE/GX video card connected to CRT monitor (not unique to LCD monitors btw) when setting a video mode. That doesn't happen with any other video card that I have (nVidia, Cirrus Logic, Trident and S3 other than ViRGE/GX).

Hi,
I had this problem with a Cirrus Logic PCI (on DOS), and a GeForce 4 MX420 (on Windows 98), so I think it's not related to the LCD + VGA card, for me at least.

Reply 4 of 5, by 121Gigwatts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clb wrote on 2022-05-10, 16:45:

It reads like the LCD display is slow to sync on to the changes in video mode? Most digital displays seem to be quite slow at locking on to video modes. I am not sure why that is, but the behavior seems common: most flat panels I are pretty slow at establishing video modes in general, and can take a few seconds to put up the image.

It is interesting to read that the sync speed would change based on the video card that is being used: my understanding is that prior to EDID ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_Displa … tification_Data), there isn't much that the video card does when changing video modes: it will immediately begin to push out the video stream using the new video parameters, making establishing the synchronization purely a monitor side problem.

I also think this is a monitor side problem.

From what I understand, the LCD has to analyze the VGA signal (scan) to be able to use proper resolution settings. I'm not sure if all LCD monitors have the same issue.

I'd like to try with a VGA-only LCD monitor (without DVI) but I don't have one.

Reply 5 of 5, by 121Gigwatts

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My screen is a Belina 1930 S1. It takes ~3,5 seconds to display a VGA signal, which is insane, especially with an annoying "VGA signal" message that pops up.
For example, when booting up Windows 98, the screen will refresh each time the display switch between DOS messages and the splash screen. That basically mean you can't see the boot process at all in a fast computer.

I got my hands on other screens that does not have this problem. I'll do some tests and post the results here.