VOGONS

Reply 21660 of 27171, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-09, 05:32:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-09, 05:29:
All done. Works good. Finish a bit rough, but that's what you get for being crap at painting, plus, "it's just a temp job" lol […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:09:

Whipping up a temporary fight stick out of scrap, to provide a nice way of using my new arcade stick+buttons, which will tide me over until later in the year when another proper cabinet build is planned.

Built and filled (putty) it yesterday, today to sand it flush, drill the holes, and prime it with a couple of coats of Zinsser BIN. Not sure if I'll bother topcoating it, since it's just a quick and temporary job. Good paint is expensive.

Oh and also had to solder a microUSB port back onto an Arduino which it had snapped off. These particular units had the port merely held onto the board with a couple of solder dots, in addition to the electrical contacts themselves. Rather than thru-hole posts as is the more robust norm. That was a slight pain, the port's pinout is tiny, so I had to trace back and solder onto the next available points. All worked good. That'll be the Daemonbite adapter, the control board for the fight stick.

All done. Works good. Finish a bit rough, but that's what you get for being crap at painting, plus, "it's just a temp job" 🤣

Still better than almost any fight stick you can buy.

1.JPG

2.JPG

Id be happy to use that, looks like a great way to use up some parts while honing the tech fuckery skills !

Cheers mate, yeah I can think of plenty worse ways to spend a weekend! 😀

chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-09, 12:17:
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-09, 05:29:
All done. Works good. Finish a bit rough, but that's what you get for being crap at painting, plus, "it's just a temp job" lol […]
Show full quote
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-07, 22:09:

Whipping up a temporary fight stick out of scrap, to provide a nice way of using my new arcade stick+buttons, which will tide me over until later in the year when another proper cabinet build is planned.

Built and filled (putty) it yesterday, today to sand it flush, drill the holes, and prime it with a couple of coats of Zinsser BIN. Not sure if I'll bother topcoating it, since it's just a quick and temporary job. Good paint is expensive.

Oh and also had to solder a microUSB port back onto an Arduino which it had snapped off. These particular units had the port merely held onto the board with a couple of solder dots, in addition to the electrical contacts themselves. Rather than thru-hole posts as is the more robust norm. That was a slight pain, the port's pinout is tiny, so I had to trace back and solder onto the next available points. All worked good. That'll be the Daemonbite adapter, the control board for the fight stick.

All done. Works good. Finish a bit rough, but that's what you get for being crap at painting, plus, "it's just a temp job" 🤣

Still better than almost any fight stick you can buy.

1.JPG

2.JPG

A beautiful Seimitsu LS-32 with a mesh balltop, premium Crown 202 main buttons*, and Sanwa OBSN oranges, powered by a class-leading (in lag) DIY Daemonbite adapter built on a cheap Arduino.

*pillowy clouds of heaven

That paint job looks pretty good to me I'd happily use that controller. Excellent choices on the stick and buttons that thing must be a dream to play on. But seriously you did a fantastic job building it temporary housing or not

Thanks man! I'm really happy too tbh.

It is ridiculously nice to play on. I used the Japanese Sega/Astro City 1P button layout, but put a larger gap between buttons and joystick which, based on some pre-testing, gives the most natural posture and ergonomics for me. The deck has a 7 degree incline, which research suggested is optimal. The feel of the LS-32 stick + it's square gate is amazing and classic, such a good all-rounder stick. Coming from octo-gated Sanwa JLFs and Suzo-Happ buttons (in my DIY cab), I really appreciate the differences. This is next level. I do have a mod actuator and stiffer spring to try out with the JLFs next time I feel like a minor project, so it will be interesting to see how they compare.

There's even something for Apple fans (in addition to the whiteness, I mean). 😉 The USB cable is (was) an old iPod one.

Oh, and shoutout to arcade retailer Focus Attack for going above and beyond to help me.

Reply 21661 of 27171, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Worked on repairing an Alesis Nanosynth sound module today.

The original ribbon cable connecting the main board to the outputs had broken. I removed it and replaced it with a ribbon cable with headers on side and soldered to the output board on the other.

This unit also has some pretty rough scratches on the outside. Figure it might make a good candidate to try powder coating on, should I give that a try in the future.

Attachments

• alesis_nanosynth_01.jpg
    Filename
    alesis_nanosynth_01.jpg
    File size
    226.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • alesis_nanosynth_02.jpg
    Filename
    alesis_nanosynth_02.jpg
    File size
    250.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • alesis_nanosynth_03.jpg
    Filename
    alesis_nanosynth_03.jpg
    File size
    162.82 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21662 of 27171, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Recorded a bunch more Let's Plays for old consoles - Atari 2600 and NES, to put on my channel. Plus I fixed up the recording rig, found out I could record off of RF using the Betamax Player/Tuner/Timer getup I got the wife a few years back. Might be time to dust off the Betamax tapes and watch those as well.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 21663 of 27171, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installed Windows 98 on an IBM Point-of-Sale Machine.

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

Got rid of the old mechanical drive and put in a Disk-on-Module SSD. It has 1 PCI slot which I filled with a cheap-o Radeon 9250, also added a fan to the video card

s-l1600.jpg

The video card fan just BARELY clears everything once closed up.

s-l1600.png

Then found and installed all the necessary drivers.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Performs reasonably well, though the Soundblaster emulation in DOS games is pretty much garbage. Posted a 3dMark99 score of about 6800.

Also installed SpeedFan to control fan speeds as they're quite loud. The motherboard had an unused fan header which was where I connected the video card fan. Luckily SpeedFan detected and was able to control both this fan as well as the CPU fan. Noise level now much more tolerable.

Reply 21664 of 27171, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today was a quiet day at work so I spent some time making an interlink cable.

At home I wanted to start seriously testing my FX5700, first with Quake 1 and 2. And I just couldn't turn off Vsync. Whatever I tried it stayed locked to 60. I know it can be done, I did it not long ago when I tested my Ti4200 as reference. Maybe still a driver issue? I've spent all my afternoon trying to solve this and all I got was annoyance.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 21665 of 27171, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bmwsvsu wrote on 2022-05-10, 14:11:
Installed Windows 98 on an IBM Point-of-Sale Machine. […]
Show full quote

Installed Windows 98 on an IBM Point-of-Sale Machine.

s-l1600.png

s-l1600.png

Got rid of the old mechanical drive and put in a Disk-on-Module SSD. It has 1 PCI slot which I filled with a cheap-o Radeon 9250, also added a fan to the video card

s-l1600.jpg

The video card fan just BARELY clears everything once closed up.

s-l1600.png

Then found and installed all the necessary drivers.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Performs reasonably well, though the Soundblaster emulation in DOS games is pretty much garbage. Posted a 3dMark99 score of about 6800.

Also installed SpeedFan to control fan speeds as they're quite loud. The motherboard had an unused fan header which was where I connected the video card fan. Luckily SpeedFan detected and was able to control both this fan as well as the CPU fan. Noise level now much more tolerable.

I keep seeing these cheap on eBay and keep *nearly* buying one but so far have resisted 😀

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21666 of 27171, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, they've been around, sometimes even nos. Generally they only run earlier pentiums and celerons, maybe p3, the ones I've seen. I have a dual p3 server, and a (not yet functional) quad p3 server board. A flakey athlon xp 2600+ box. 4 pmmx sbc's. A wyse eden thin client. Yeah I'm resistant also. Quadruple+ vaxxed.

And how could I forget. My late model Asus eeePC 900a, in shambles, but a bona fide 32 bit machine. Bought in 2009. My Thinkpad t61, with issues. My non working Sony 16" p4 laptop, that sucka is getting a working over real soon. And an ECS p4 mainboard that is a literal abortion and will require a veritable miracle to get working. I got connections.

Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-05-10, 20:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21667 of 27171, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been tempted to snatch one of these up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/354007287986

That one is socket 775, Core2Duo, 4GB of ram

Per the user manual (see page 36), the motherboard has both a PCIEx16 slot and an older PCI slot as well.

https://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/SOL/fai/ret … X_IM_Manual.pdf

If that's an ICH7 chipset, this may well run Windows 98, XP, and possibly even DOS audio with a compatible sound card.

They're selling for $45 shipped.

Looks like a bit of a beast, though.

s-l1600.jpg

Reply 21668 of 27171, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a bit puzzling to me, the fact that you say it may run 98, xp,...

Do you mean in legacy mode? I had a dual socket 771 mobo, an Intel s5000vsa4dimmr, and it somehow was able to boot off a win2k dvd. I thought the uefi wouldn't allow that, apart from enabling legacy boot. Which I don't believe I did, don't think I ever had the option, as I may never have even owned a computer who's bios had that option. Somebody help me.

Last edited by chris2021 on 2022-05-10, 22:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21669 of 27171, by bmwsvsu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Being socket 775 running DDR2 ram, this is certainly going to be using a legacy BIOS. And in fact, if you browse to towards the end of that user manual I linked, it indeed is legacy.

The manual also confirms that this supports running a SATA drive in IDE mode. Based on my experience with OEM Lenovo boards, this is probably using an ICH7 chipset, in which case, you simply need thse modded Intel ICH drivers for that chipset. The only issue you may run into is that of not having enough system resources for all the hardware, which may or may not cause problems depending on exactly what the conflicts are.

Bottom line is throw in a PCIE video card (Radeon x600 through x850 or nVidia GeForce 6xxx) and a PCI audio card and my guess is you could get Windows 98 running on here no problem.

Reply 21670 of 27171, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not going to look through the manuals for the board I had, not now, but I had suspected it was a uefi bios as some early linux distros would choke. I really didn't know enough about any of this back in 2018. Perhaps that board only had an old style bios? I guess maybe it did. And if so it was an unparalled bargain, as it had every style of pci slot, including pci-e x4. But no agp. A guy was selling them off for 15$ shipped.

Reply 21671 of 27171, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I posted on Vogons for the first time in a long time. Is that retro enough? 😀

Otherwise I've been spending time playing with my Mister FPGA. Having quite a bit of fun playing with a the AO486 core and a MT-32pi.

R-4BfzgvLR4eWoIDwi-hfpGbQg1LitfvUmBtvxjKl__ljCqgeIWIW-Dc9tlm2mE2NS99dN2SHGHCBcN_XCWRfJ1BA8sRyxiDeJeasNvkMop4lHZcgFMd1HWUsoDgb9zbPx0VRdRk7Dbb83dR4kJhBTSqMKN4ELqJrcfuaPnEedM5HPZf69IFiRGxCTDrnRNFPcgvwwcpXyDENlR0FO_4etYyFXxAIe_PkhlqNZdjw1DWObGdxPcctTMnhZjwSz5sniS4QO5TTc0WeNHISsCNts6ksonqmNUOjLYFebMzWKiAPp5z8i_laPHFDmdkUclhHI6y_1hWnmGl6KH7dfLsrjXRV0fEjuTwJLRQD6bIY41HxbRyr33SIK7jkZm_aVD5RVNo0wkQgji8RibVBtcwECOBho0ftOUEg0A_b67kq1e7Bwv-ogeHNK4GNvqsPOUrFNoR_DXHarHCBNHc8CNrEfIq_OU0IeMsh2tp69lPnetLSlKTnIsq6IHFzomj_KXGw2QeruCYQaWyBKgQqQSna0oeEocDVrNODaTM9hChmmFJ1gV9mCYvv8Av5vFBFoHzfAhQyvdlEoHC1LvfAE8kugJhEnyeyA2ctvPMvsH7xJS-njeE4kVemzAewVCj_Ipidt9hJTuwCgZw17SlC1yuiM2EtOeE3s7YueLUjzfurNSvnn3MT18h191xo0_AmoZ1zGiMH5zWrjsQ3nJGxGLvDsdIUEaqdeYGuh-QbSYHIB3U2MaF1cKewwfr4HlcPE0=w1272-h1694-no?authuser=0

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 21672 of 27171, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finished my Toshiba Satellite 220CS project today. Previously I removed the CMOS battery to prevent future leaking, I drilled holes and made a custom FDD mounting system of copper, and I made a copper HDD cover. Today I cut up a Satellite 110CS battery cover a bit to make it somewhat compatible with the 220CS. My solutions for this laptop aren't great but they will do the job and make the laptop complete.

file.php?mode=view&id=137099
file.php?mode=view&id=137098

Attachments

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 21673 of 27171, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-10, 18:08:

Today was a quiet day at work so I spent some time making an interlink cable.

At home I wanted to start seriously testing my FX5700, first with Quake 1 and 2. And I just couldn't turn off Vsync. Whatever I tried it stayed locked to 60. I know it can be done, I did it not long ago when I tested my Ti4200 as reference. Maybe still a driver issue? I've spent all my afternoon trying to solve this and all I got was annoyance.

I can confirm the vsyc issue and observe it in Unreal Gold. I don't know what causes it.

Reply 21674 of 27171, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
laxdragon wrote on 2022-05-11, 16:30:

Today I posted on Vogons for the first time in a long time. Is that retro enough? 😀

Otherwise I've been spending time playing with my Mister FPGA. Having quite a bit of fun playing with a the AO486 core and a MT-32pi.

All I can see is a "No Entry" sign

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21675 of 27171, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-11, 19:00:
laxdragon wrote on 2022-05-11, 16:30:

All I can see is a "No Entry" sign

I can see the picture but get that "No Entry" sign when viewing it separately.

It shows running Lost Secret of the Rainforest on a widescreen LCD monitor with aspect ratio correction set to 4:3.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 21676 of 27171, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Strahssis wrote on 2022-05-11, 17:57:

I finished my Toshiba Satellite 220CS project today. Previously I removed the CMOS battery to prevent future leaking, I drilled holes and made a custom FDD mounting system of copper, and I made a copper HDD cover. Today I cut up a Satellite 110CS battery cover a bit to make it somewhat compatible with the 220CS. My solutions for this laptop aren't great but they will do the job and make the laptop complete.

Nice! As you seem to be into modding: have you ever researched if the screen of these Toshibas can be replaced with a more modern one? I have a CDT-version and even the active matrix is only mediocre by today's standards. If that could be upgraded to any kind of newer display it would make the machine even better than it already is.

Reply 21677 of 27171, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7

- Windows 98SE
- Windows 3.11 ( on top of MS-Dos 6.22 )
- Ms-Dos 6.22 alone

I preferred to do it that way so I can have different setup of MS-Dos 6.22 for Windows and alone.

There's no MS-Dos only drivers. need to install Windows drivers to get MS-Dos drivers. And Windows 3.x drivers for the sound card are not working that well under pure DOS.
So for MS-Dos alone I'm using Windows9x Drivers grabbed from Windows install.

Attachments

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 21678 of 27171, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:46:
Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7 […]
Show full quote

Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7

- Windows 98SE
- Windows 3.11 ( on top of MS-Dos 6.22 )
- Ms-Dos 6.22 alone

I preferred to do it that way so I can have different setup of MS-Dos 6.22 for Windows and alone.

There's no MS-Dos only drivers. need to install Windows drivers to get MS-Dos drivers. And Windows 3.x drivers for the sound card are not working that well under pure DOS.
So for MS-Dos alone I'm using Windows9x Drivers grabbed from Windows install.

That is one clean looking Thinkpad, would love to own one that clean myself, but .. the clean looking ones usually end up having that terrible rubber cover they used ...so deceptive.

Reply 21679 of 27171, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Right now, I'm ripping the QuestStudios MIDI files from the WebArchive, so that I can have a fully copy of what was on there, including the digital audio files. I'd like to see the MIDIs all rendered and recorded properly, using the best respective Roland GS and Yamaha XG high-end hardware modules, along with MUNT for the MT-32 files, to create a digital archive that everyone can enjoy. I only have access to the basic GS and XG soft-synths at the moment, so I can't do much there. There also seems to be some old AGI-era music files in there too, which is a whole different plate of nachos, so I'll avoid that for now.