VOGONS

Reply 260 of 385, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems to have made a big difference for your memory scores (at least according to speedsys). What chipset does your board use?

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 261 of 385, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/C/C … 86-33-50-L.html
OPTI 495B Chipset

AMI BIOS has no Options for RAM or Cache and has WS on RAM and Cache Default.

Also Games show Speedup, improvment is great.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 262 of 385, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my OPTi 495SX board, I cannot get MR BIOS to work at all. I can get it to set up just fine, but after the RAM count, it locks up. Not sure if it has anything to do with the EPROM speed or if it's something else. However, I did replace the RAM about a couple of months ago and left the MR BIOS on the back burner until I know if it was the RAM that caused it to lock up in the first place or if it's something else.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 263 of 385, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-12, 07:55:

On my OPTi 495SX board, I cannot get MR BIOS to work at all. I can get it to set up just fine, but after the RAM count, it locks up. Not sure if it has anything to do with the EPROM speed or if it's something else. However, I did replace the RAM about a couple of months ago and left the MR BIOS on the back burner until I know if it was the RAM that caused it to lock up in the first place or if it's something else.

If you have that capability, just one thing you can try, it never hurts: Try to change the keyboard controller. Try something older (maybe from 286 or 386) and try something newer. (maybe something from a PCI based 486 board)
I've observed some weird issues with mr bios sometimes and the cause has often been not "fully-compatible" keyboard controller.
I don't know about features to look for, it has been just a trial and error process.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 264 of 385, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sadly, the current keyboard controller is soldered on and it doesn't hurt to add a socket to the board so the controller can get swapped easily.

Thankfully, the board doesn't have any battery damage and the battery started to leak, but it wasn't that much (2 droplets on the grounding point, but it's a big area and it powered on fine when I did the initial test after I took the battery off). My other board, on the other hand, doesn't POST and I even attempted to use both the AMI BIOS and the MR BIOS on it to no avail and it turns out there's more damage under the XT 8-bit slots than I thought and the RAM slots are fine and dandy, plus it needs a recap everywhere where the damage is at from the battery aftermath.

I'll look for a particular keyboard controller and slap it in and see what happens and I'll even attempt the one from my LB386DX board and see if that does anything. Were there any MR BIOS keyboard controller ICs back then as well?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 265 of 385, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-12, 09:20:

Were there any MR BIOS keyboard controller ICs back then as well?

I've seen some pictures on the internet and read about them from archives of mr bios web, but never seen or touched one myself.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 266 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mrbios-1989-Z.BIN MR 1.52 EFAR41Y l - MR BIOS (r) V1.52 - Copyright (c) 1989-93 MRI - Microid Research, Inc. - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED - 9 ASI BIOS (r) Copyright (c) 1993 Seanix Technology Inc.

Attachments

Reply 267 of 385, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
GigAHerZ wrote on 2021-10-12, 09:37:
bjwil1991 wrote on 2021-10-12, 09:20:

Were there any MR BIOS keyboard controller ICs back then as well?

I've seen some pictures on the internet and read about them from archives of mr bios web, but never seen or touched one myself.

I installed one in my MR-BIOS-ified am386DX today. I don't think it makes a difference but it's cool to have a MR-BIOS BIOS and KBC. It works fine, but I am not sure if it is different in any useful way.

ruzqz7q.png

Still waiting on my sticker order to MR-BIOS-ify the EPROM

Reply 268 of 385, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, they ignored all of the instructions, so it looks nothing like the original stickers, but oh well.
67dgQ5y.png
It was supposed to be:
mr%20bios.png

They clipped out the white border and raised the whole sticker (which I didn't ask for). Ah well.

Reply 269 of 385, by aitotat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've had this MR-BIOS EPROM many years. It came with several removed Flash and EPROM chips so I don't know what motherboard it originally belongs to. There was 386sx written on the MR BIOS sticker and at the end of the BIOS image there are Microid ResearchVer V1.0F and OPTI317 mentioned. Here it is. I hope it is useful to someone.

Reply 271 of 385, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That one should have already been in the archive, but perhaps it's an older version. We'll have a look.
Should be for the OPTi 381 chipset.

Reply 272 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Vendor: MR
Version: V1.65
String: EFAR41Y
Sign-on: l

Attachments

Reply 273 of 385, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

did not quite parse through all 14 pages of this, but should anyone be keen on the bios of this thing, let me know.

It's a Cyrix Cx486DLC ISA board with headland chipset. Box says "sunny".

Bios options surprised me in their scope and convenience.

Attachments

I like jumpers.

Reply 274 of 385, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It appears to be an Octek Jaguar IV DLC board. I believe those are pretty good. I think we might already have the BIOS from one of these, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to dump it anyway. Maybe it's a different revision.

Reply 275 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ETEQ IBM 486SLC2

Vendor: MR
Version: V1.61
String: ETEQ330

Attachments

• ETEQ IBM 486SLC2.jpg
    Filename
    ETEQ IBM 486SLC2.jpg
    File size
    1.04 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Filename
    486mb17224.BIN.zip
    File size
    42.05 KiB
    Downloads
    60 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 277 of 385, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm pretty sure that board can be equipped with Cyrix SLC or IBM SLC.

Reply 278 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a ETEQ-IBM mobo
but surprise do not have a IBM CPU
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/2245

mt777 wrote on 2022-05-10, 12:50:

not IBM SLC2 😒 but still nice find

Attachments

Reply 279 of 385, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think this board was made at a time when IBM was transitioning from Intel to Cyrix. It is kind of weird that a TI branded version was used though. IBM never sold the Cyrix based SLC under their name as far as I'm aware...and it would have been a confusing mess if they had.