VOGONS

First post, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good day,

can someone help me to setup an OPTI495SLC VL-BUS 3/486 please?
The vga card is a cirrus logic cl-gd5401-42qc-b ( http://old.vgamuseum.info/palcals-collection/ … -cl-gd5401.html ).

I've installed 8Mb ram, not installed battery and no optical or hdd yet. The problem is when I power on it I hear 3 beeps which are looping again and again. I have no video on monitor.

This is the photo I can share with you. Please any help could be usefull.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Memory needs to be in pairs.
So Occupy the 4 bottom ram slots with 4 of the same types of ram.
I would use FPM ( fast page mode ) ram.
Or you can try just 2 ram sticks in very bottom ram slots.

Reply 2 of 11, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I looked up the motherboard online and saw it has an AMI-BIOS, so if I recall correctly 3 short beeps means that you have a memory error. Try reseating the memory and if that doesn't work I'd suggest checking for bent pins in the RAM sockets and cleaning both the RAM sockets and the RAM modules with some isopropyl or ketonatus alcohol and a soft tooth brush. Are the RAM modules tested to be working? If not, the RAM modules could be faulty as well. (Try the reply above first.)

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 3 of 11, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried with 2 memory chipsets. I also tried without any memory chip on the board. The result was the same. Triple loop beeping. Any idea if it is a jumper depend setting?

Attachments

Reply 4 of 11, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You say that you installed 8MB of RAM but there are only 6 memory modules in your pictures. That won't work in your case. Each memory module is 8bit, so for PCs with a 32bit bus width (386DX or 486) you need to install groups of 4 modules, starting with bank 0 (it should be labeled on your board which one is bank 0, but it's either the top 4 or bottom 4 sockets).

Installing 30-pin SIMMs in pairs is when you have a 16-bit data bus (i.e. 386SX, 286, ...).

Reply 5 of 11, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:48:

You say that you installed 8MB of RAM but there are only 6 memory modules in your pictures. That won't work in your case. Each memory module is 8bit, so for PCs with a 32bit bus width (386DX or 486) you need to install groups of 4 modules, starting with bank 0 (it should be labeled on your board which one is bank 0, but it's either the top 4 or bottom 4 sockets).

Installing 30-pin SIMMs in pairs is when you have a 16-bit data bus (i.e. 386SX, 286, ...).

Sorry me it was my mistake, I've installed 6 modules each one is 1Mb. Unfortunately, I start to realize there isn't any memory conflict, because neither in pairs of two work, neither even an alone pair (2*1Mb).

I suspect wrong jumper settings because even without memories the result is the same sound.

Reply 6 of 11, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kotsoskorg wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:11:

Sorry me it was my mistake, I've installed 6 modules each one is 1Mb. Unfortunately, I start to realize there isn't any memory conflict, because neither in pairs of two work, neither even an alone pair (2*1Mb).

I suspect wrong jumper settings because even without memories the result is the same sound.

Install 4 (in bank 0) or 8 modules (in banks 0 and 1). Not 1, 2 or 6 modules!

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 7 of 11, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:29:
kotsoskorg wrote on 2022-05-12, 16:11:

Install 4 (in bank 0) or 8 modules (in banks 0 and 1). Not 1, 2 or 6 modules!

I did what you recommended, but still nothing. Could you please check the photo? There are 4 modules, starting from slot1 to slot4.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install just these 4 in the photo in the bottom 4 ram slots.
Also remove the IDE controller card.
Strange amount of cache you have installed ?
Set your cache setting to 64kb.
Double check your jumpers for CPU voltage and settings ?

Don’t give up.
Trouble shooting a computer is a “Process of Elimination”
You Eliminate the options / components that did not work in order to find the solution and problem with components.
But you want your jumper settings to be correct.

Attachments

Reply 9 of 11, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-05-12, 17:29:
Install just these 4 in the photo in the bottom 4 ram slots. Also remove the IDE controller card. Strange amount of cache you ha […]
Show full quote

Install just these 4 in the photo in the bottom 4 ram slots.
Also remove the IDE controller card.
Strange amount of cache you have installed ?
Set your cache setting to 64kb.
Double check your jumpers for CPU voltage and settings ?

Don’t give up.
Trouble shooting a computer is a “Process of Elimination”
You Eliminate the options / components that did not work in order to find the solution and problem with components.
But you want your jumper settings to be correct.

Good day,
is it possible to give this error, because there is no battery yet installed?

Reply 11 of 11, by kotsoskorg

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlessandroB wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:19:

Hard to see, but in my opinion the 387 is in installed in the wrong way

Can you enlight me please?

Attachments