VOGONS

Reply 21680 of 27182, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
HanSolo wrote on 2022-05-11, 23:35:

Nice! As you seem to be into modding: have you ever researched if the screen of these Toshibas can be replaced with a more modern one? I have a CDT-version and even the active matrix is only mediocre by today's standards. If that could be upgraded to any kind of newer display it would make the machine even better than it already is.

I do understand the problem, the screen is definitely a downside of these laptops. Sadly I have never tried to put in a modern replacement screen, so I can't tell you if that would work unfortunately. Finding a compatible screen would be difficult as well, because of the small size and the 4:3 aspect ratio. The only thing I know is that the TFT screen can be modded in the DSTN laptops, although I haven't done such an operation either. I may try that if I come across a cheap faulty TFT-variant some day. Toshiba isn't really my specialty, I am more into Compaqs. 🙁

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM
Satellite 220CS: Pentium 133, SVGA DSTN, Sound Blaster Pro, 64MB RAM
Contura 420CX: 486DX4 75, VGA TFT, Roland Serial MIDI, 16MB RAM

Reply 21681 of 27182, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:53:

Right now, I'm ripping the QuestStudios MIDI files from the WebArchive, so that I can have a fully copy of what was on there, including the digital audio files. I'd like to see the MIDIs all rendered and recorded properly, using the best respective Roland GS and Yamaha XG high-end hardware modules, along with MUNT for the MT-32 files, to create a digital archive that everyone can enjoy. I only have access to the basic GS and XG soft-synths at the moment, so I can't do much there. There also seems to be some old AGI-era music files in there too, which is a whole different plate of nachos, so I'll avoid that for now.

Awesome initiative! I actually had a similar plan with my MIDI modules and some old games like Age of Empires, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Westwood Monopoly and some more. How do you get a good recording out of your MIDI devices? I know I can hook them up to my PC's line-in, but I'm afraid that the CMI8738 is going to cause a reduce in sound quality.

Mimi: AMD K6-2/266, S3 Trio64, Diamond Monster 3D II, Sound Blaster CT2800, 32MB RAM

Reply 21682 of 27182, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Strahssis wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:14:

Nice! As you seem to be into modding: have you ever researched if the screen of these Toshibas can be replaced with a more modern one? I have a CDT-version and even the active matrix is only mediocre by today's standards. If that could be upgraded to any kind of newer display it would make the machine even better than it already is.

I do understand the problem, the screen is definitely a downside of these laptops. Sadly I have never tried to put in a modern replacement screen, so I can't tell you if that would work unfortunately. Finding a compatible screen would be difficult as well, because of the small size and the 4:3 aspect ratio. The only thing I know is that the TFT screen can be modded in the DSTN laptops, although I haven't done such an operation either. I may try that if I come across a cheap faulty TFT-variant some day. Toshiba isn't really my specialty, I am more into Compaqs. 🙁

Its possible but not for the faint of heart due to needing to add in extra circuitry to support the TFT screen that the DSTN models dont have. (Its likely easier to find a CDT model instead)

Reply 21683 of 27182, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Strahssis wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:22:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:53:

Right now, I'm ripping the QuestStudios MIDI files from the WebArchive, so that I can have a fully copy of what was on there, including the digital audio files. I'd like to see the MIDIs all rendered and recorded properly, using the best respective Roland GS and Yamaha XG high-end hardware modules, along with MUNT for the MT-32 files, to create a digital archive that everyone can enjoy. I only have access to the basic GS and XG soft-synths at the moment, so I can't do much there. There also seems to be some old AGI-era music files in there too, which is a whole different plate of nachos, so I'll avoid that for now.

Awesome initiative! I actually had a similar plan with my MIDI modules and some old games like Age of Empires, Transport Tycoon Deluxe, Westwood Monopoly and some more. How do you get a good recording out of your MIDI devices? I know I can hook them up to my PC's line-in, but I'm afraid that the CMI8738 is going to cause a reduce in sound quality.

The best way to get good recordings is to do everything digitally, if possible. That cuts down on your equipment footprint and offers the highest quality, but you have to have a solid PC to run the recording/mixing software. The last generation of MIDI hardware had optical/coaxial outputs for digital recording/mixing, whereas the first and second generation of it did not, and things had to be done in analog or you hooked them up to an external A/D audio mixer/recorder that did things in the digital realm, by converting the analog signal. Now, you can get modules that have multiple digital inputs and outputs, as well as analog ones. At this point, I probably wouldn't invest in the old MIDI modules that are first and second generation and simply use the last generation (early 2000's) for all-digital playback/recording, while the Roland VSCs can handle the SC stuff that supposedly sounds best on vintage SC hardware. One possible, albeit difficult, route to go in acquiring MIDI hardware from the last generation is to get the performance/production keyboards that have the GS and XG MIDI modules built in (along with GM2) and also have digital outputs.

Reply 21684 of 27182, by Strahssis

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:41:

The best way to get good recordings is to do everything digitally, if possible. That cuts down on your equipment footprint and offers the highest quality, but you have to have a solid PC to run the recording/mixing software. The last generation of MIDI hardware had optical/coaxial outputs for digital recording/mixing, whereas the first and second generation of it did not, and things had to be done in analog or you hooked them up to an external A/D audio mixer/recorder that did things in the digital realm, by converting the analog signal. Now, you can get modules that have multiple digital inputs and outputs, as well as analog ones. At this point, I probably wouldn't invest in the old MIDI modules that are first and second generation and simply use the last generation (early 2000's) for all-digital playback/recording, while the Roland VSCs can handle the SC stuff that supposedly sounds best on vintage SC hardware. One possible, albeit difficult, route to go in acquiring MIDI hardware from the last generation is to get the performance/production keyboards that have the GS and XG MIDI modules built in (along with GM2) and also have digital outputs.

That makes sense, thank you for explaining! I only have older generation MIDI devices to work with, so that will make my life a lot harder. I am planning to make recordings with:
*Roland SC-55st
*Roland RA-30
*Roland E-66 (if I manage to finally get it in GM-mode)
*Yamaha TG100
*Mysterious no-name MS-50 module

Reply 21685 of 27182, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Strahssis wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:52:
That makes sense, thank you for explaining! I only have older generation MIDI devices to work with, so that will make my life a […]
Show full quote
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:41:

That makes sense, thank you for explaining! I only have older generation MIDI devices to work with, so that will make my life a lot harder. I am planning to make recordings with:
*Roland SC-55st
*Roland RA-30
*Roland E-66 (if I manage to finally get it in GM-mode)
*Yamaha TG100
*Mysterious no-name MS-50 module

If you dig around Reverb, eBay, whatever works for you, you can find the old external audio modules that were sold alongside those units and get started. You will need to be sure your PC is solid enough in RAM/CPU/Storage for recording/mixing, so you might want to use a separate machine for that, while controlling the MIDI Modules from the PC you use for retro gaming.

Reply 21686 of 27182, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:25:

Its possible but not for the faint of heart due to needing to add in extra circuitry to support the TFT screen that the DSTN models dont have. (Its likely easier to find a CDT model instead)

And what do you think about replacing the screen of a CDT model with a newer one? My CDT-screen is 'okay' but any modern one would be way better. I've seen people replacing the screen of a Thinkkpad Edge with a better (IPS) - that's where my idea came from.

Reply 21687 of 27182, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HanSolo wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:01:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:25:

And what do you think about replacing the screen of a CDT model with a newer one? My CDT-screen is 'okay' but any modern one would be way better. I've seen people replacing the screen of a Thinkkpad Edge with a better (IPS) - that's where my idea came from.

Well the CDT is already using a TFT screen so if you can find the right screen and the board to power the LED backlight from the battery it should work just fine. IPS doesnt need anything extra to drive it than what TFT uses so aside from a board to convert the CCFL voltages to LED voltages it'll be fairly simple compared to DSTN to TFT.

Reply 21688 of 27182, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced a keyboard controller with a NOS one. But still a "keyboard controller error, POD error code 17".
Back to the drawing board....
Some pictures of the chips and the cleaned surface.

Philips P3238 with a NEC board (?)

Does anybody know what KBD INH could mean, next to the jumper header?

Attachments

• DSC_3330.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_3330.JPG
    File size
    1.95 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • DSC_3328.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_3328.JPG
    File size
    367.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 21689 of 27182, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is it a 386 or a 486 NEC board?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 21690 of 27182, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a 286 12,5 MHz board (Siemens CPU).

Even without a keyboard attached I get the error.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 21691 of 27182, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PD2JK wrote on 2022-05-12, 20:11:
Replaced a keyboard controller with a NOS one. But still a "keyboard controller error, POD error code 17". Back to the drawing b […]
Show full quote

Replaced a keyboard controller with a NOS one. But still a "keyboard controller error, POD error code 17".

Keyboard Interrupt Handler ?

Reply 21692 of 27182, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PD2JK wrote on 2022-05-12, 20:11:
Replaced a keyboard controller with a NOS one. But still a "keyboard controller error, POD error code 17". Back to the drawing b […]
Show full quote

Keyboard inhibit? As in for a key lock? Just guessing here, though

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 21693 of 27182, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:11:
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:46:
Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7 […]
Show full quote

Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7

- Windows 98SE
- Windows 3.11 ( on top of MS-Dos 6.22 )
- Ms-Dos 6.22 alone

I preferred to do it that way so I can have different setup of MS-Dos 6.22 for Windows and alone.

There's no MS-Dos only drivers. need to install Windows drivers to get MS-Dos drivers. And Windows 3.x drivers for the sound card are not working that well under pure DOS.
So for MS-Dos alone I'm using Windows9x Drivers grabbed from Windows install.

That is one clean looking Thinkpad, would love to own one that clean myself, but .. the clean looking ones usually end up having that terrible rubber cover they used ...so deceptive.

I think the previous owner was using it very carefully. I spent some time to clean it, replace the HDD with a SSD and find some brand new stickers. Also replaced batteries. There's almost no scratches on it and underneath is like new.
I have some more recent Thinkpads ( T22, T23, X41 ) but this one is my favorite. Even more because I can use it on Ms-Dos with nice LCD Expansion and I have both Sound+Ati working drivers for Windows 3.11/W98SE

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 21694 of 27182, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-13, 11:41:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 12:11:
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:46:
Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7 […]
Show full quote

Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7

- Windows 98SE
- Windows 3.11 ( on top of MS-Dos 6.22 )
- Ms-Dos 6.22 alone

I preferred to do it that way so I can have different setup of MS-Dos 6.22 for Windows and alone.

There's no MS-Dos only drivers. need to install Windows drivers to get MS-Dos drivers. And Windows 3.x drivers for the sound card are not working that well under pure DOS.
So for MS-Dos alone I'm using Windows9x Drivers grabbed from Windows install.

That is one clean looking Thinkpad, would love to own one that clean myself, but .. the clean looking ones usually end up having that terrible rubber cover they used ...so deceptive.

I think the previous owner was using it very carefully. I spent some time to clean it, replace the HDD with a SSD and find some brand new stickers. Also replaced batteries. There's almost no scratches on it and underneath is like new.
I have some more recent Thinkpads ( T22, T23, X41 ) but this one is my favorite. Even more because I can use it on Ms-Dos with nice LCD Expansion and I have both Sound+Ati working drivers for Windows 3.11/W98SE

I really do love clean looking retro laptops, Stickers and such can be replaced but scratches just ruin it and unless its a rare laptop I just skip over them, your ThinkPad is a great looking machine and I know it'll be well cared for !

Reply 21695 of 27182, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinkpads are overrated, especially after the T60's.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 21696 of 27182, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maverick85 wrote on 2022-05-13, 13:18:

They are sturdy and the T40-T42 models are decent W98 laptops with a competent GPU. I often see them just below $60, sometimes docking station included and I think they are rated just right. T43 and anything newer than those however lack W98 support while at the same time lack XP gaming performance.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 21697 of 27182, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-13, 13:41:

They are sturdy and the T40-T42 models are decent W98 laptops with a competent GPU. I often see them just below $60, sometimes docking station included and I think they are rated just right. T43 and anything newer than those however lack W98 support while at the same time lack XP gaming performance.

Yes, i'm aware T42 was the best 98 laptop of the thinkpads. Its just the screens on these laptops let them down.

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 21698 of 27182, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maverick85 wrote on 2022-05-13, 15:04:
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-13, 13:41:

Yes, i'm aware T42 was the best 98 laptop of the thinkpads. Its just the screens on these laptops let them down. I got rid of my thinkpads post win xp. the current laptop i have is a hp 8770w in beat up condition upgraded to i7 and 670m. i've gone off laptops until the prices come down for 11th gen intel dell laptops

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 21699 of 27182, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What you can do:

Take a true R52 15" with GPU (important!, due to hard to find heatsink separately) as they tend to have better LCD options and transplant a T42 with GPU (either radeon 9000 or 9600) motherboard into R52 chassis. The R52 has better cooling too. This is exactly what I did using T42 motherboard with radeon 9600.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.