VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44560 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was browsing old laptops on eBay and threw a Compaq Evo N1000v into my cart to keep track of it as it wasn't a horrible price and it was in great condition for its age and was fully working. Price was~130 AUD with nice bag and MS Optical Mouse but I didn't actually buy it, about two hours ago the seller sent me an offer on it that dropped it down at 90 AUD and well for that price it was an even better deal. (The bag alone can be resold for 30 bucks as it look to be in good condition, the MS mouse could also be sold for 20-30 bucks)

I dont have a Pentium 4 class laptop so this will actually be a fun little portable XP machine and will be a great partner for the P3 N600c.

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
189.2 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
s-l1600 (1).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (1).jpg
File size
178.72 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
s-l1600 (2).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (2).jpg
File size
296.12 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license

It'll likely need a new battery and more memory 768mb just isnt enough, could also use some tlc with a magic eraser.

Reply 44561 of 52723, by SpectriaForce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:35:

this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?

Not the forum as a whole, but this topic certainly is to some extent. The ''annoying part'' of this topic for some of us I think is that some folks like bragging about how they have ''legally stolen'' some rare item for $x from an uninformed seller while someone else might have paid $xxx for it. Even worse is when someone else in this topic comes along and brags that he has paid even less or found it for free in some dumpster. That having said I understand that people can be proud of their new purchases and like to share it with fellow enthusiasts.

Reply 44562 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpectriaForce wrote on 2022-05-12, 13:07:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-07, 11:35:

this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?

Not the forum as a whole, but this topic certainly is to some extent. The ''annoying part'' of this topic for some of us I think is that some folks like bragging about how they have ''legally stolen'' some rare item for $x from an uninformed seller while someone else might have paid $xxx for it. Even worse is when someone else in this topic comes along and brags that he has paid even less or found it for free in some dumpster. That having said I understand that people can be proud of their new purchases and like to share it with fellow enthusiasts.

I like to share, but even I am now rather hesitant to post here as much as I used to, tho I do still throw up the more interesting items I find or nice deals, well items interesting to me but I hope others might find some interest too and chat about it. It always nice when a fellow member chats about finds and passes on information about related items which .. usually leads me back to eBay to have a look see.

yea I do like trawling eBay, I like seeing all the odd and interesting retro gear on there and I love finding nice deals on items I'm interested in.

Reply 44563 of 52723, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Tetrium was taken WAY WAY out of context and this post was a response to Radical Vision's post. I've been perusing this form for years, and I haven't seen posts from Tetrium to be anything but jovial.

An exerpt of Tetrium's response from page 2225 of this thread:

"And do you even realize that basically the entire reason Vogons is what it is today is because people like us were basically trashpicking these old boxed games, picked up those sidecurbed PCs, revisited thrift stores and fleamarkets and bought those mass-dumpsaled obsolete junk parts? Do you think we all went to Dubai to get these items? Do you know that the wealth of knowledge and knowhow is accumulated by tinkering with any actual parts or do you think we only started out using ultra this and Collector Edition game that and it all just worked out of the box with no effort put into it and this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?"

Reply 44564 of 52723, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-05-12, 14:38:

Tetrium was taken WAY WAY out of context and this post was a response to Radical Vision's post. I've been perusing this form for years, and I haven't seen posts from Tetrium to be anything but jovial.

"And do you even realize that basically the entire reason Vogons is what it is today is because people like us were basically trashpicking these old boxed games, picked up those sidecurbed PCs, revisited thrift stores and fleamarkets and bought those mass-dumpsaled obsolete junk parts? Do you think we all went to Dubai to get these items? Do you know that the wealth of knowledge and knowhow is accumulated by tinkering with any actual parts or do you think we only started out using ultra this and Collector Edition game that and it all just worked out of the box with no effort put into it and this forum is just one big dick measuring contest or something?"

I saw Radical Vision's post to be a perfect example of elitism considering the silly statements about the PCB color and size 🤣 and how he was disregarding budget (or value) and low-end products.

It isn't surprising why Tetrium replied that way.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 44565 of 52723, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 10:03:
Was browsing old laptops on eBay and threw a Compaq Evo N1000v into my cart to keep track of it as it wasn't a horrible price an […]
Show full quote

Was browsing old laptops on eBay and threw a Compaq Evo N1000v into my cart to keep track of it as it wasn't a horrible price and it was in great condition for its age and was fully working. Price was~130 AUD with nice bag and MS Optical Mouse but I didn't actually buy it, about two hours ago the seller sent me an offer on it that dropped it down at 90 AUD and well for that price it was an even better deal. (The bag alone can be resold for 30 bucks as it look to be in good condition, the MS mouse could also be sold for 20-30 bucks)

I dont have a Pentium 4 class laptop so this will actually be a fun little portable XP machine and will be a great partner for the P3 N600c.

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

It'll likely need a new battery and more memory 768mb just isnt enough, could also use some tlc with a magic eraser.

I'm sorry for saying... I used to have this model back in 2004 at work. Had it for around 2-3 years and hated every minute of it 😠 Slow, unresponsive, hot, noisy as the fan was always at full speed, integrated ATI card is just bad... When I got the replacement I've bought it from employer for 10€ and sold it on for 30€ - I just didn't have the heart to put a higher price. From time to time I still find someone selling it locally for insane prices (~100eur) but I'd just beat the sh!t out of the seller for selling this junk!!

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 44566 of 52723, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:01:

I saw Radical Vision's post to be a perfect example of elitism considering the silly statements about the PCB color and size 🤣 and how he was disregarding budget (or value) and low-end products.

Right. My point was only the "big d*** measuring contest or something" was quoted; making Tetrium look like Radical Vision, with other members responding in a way which inaccurately reflects Tetrium.

Reply 44567 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kixs wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:26:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 10:03:
Was browsing old laptops on eBay and threw a Compaq Evo N1000v into my cart to keep track of it as it wasn't a horrible price an […]
Show full quote

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

I'm sorry for saying... I used to have this model back in 2004 at work. Had it for around 2-3 years and hated every minute of it 😠 Slow, unresponsive, hot, noisy as the fan was always at full speed, integrated ATI card is just bad... When I got the replacement I've bought it from employer for 10€ and sold it on for 30€ - I just didn't have the heart to put a higher price. From time to time I still find someone selling it locally for insane prices (~100eur) but I'd just beat the sh!t out of the seller for selling this junk!!

So not much different from any other Pentium 4 laptop then, its all good, honestly it wont be getting heavy use. It being a early P4 I dont expect it to be particularly great at anything demanding and certainly not great at games that require direct 3d, but for trashy windows games from the huge number of shareware CDs/DvDs I have itll be perfect and since its XP I can just nuke and pave when it gets too trashed. (I dont want to install shareware games on my main retro rig because of the trash they come with and how generally fucked the registry of XP gets after dozens of installs/uninstalls)

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-05-12, 15:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44568 of 52723, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:34:

Right. My point was only the "big d*** measuring contest or something" was quoted; making Tetrium look like Radical Vision, with other members responding in a way which inaccurately reflects Tetrium.

I responded to Tetrium's original post in reply to Radical, I replied this time more to the general thought that at times this place and especially this thread can come across as a huge epeen waving contest by certain members, it annoys the shit out of me and I only wish to enjoy the hardware and discussion of it.

While it was out of context the general feeling of it isn't exactly wrong. (Doesn't excuse the out of context quote however)

Reply 44569 of 52723, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:48:
Meatball wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:34:

I responded to Tetrium's original post in reply to Radical, I replied this time more to the general thought that at times this place and especially this thread can come across as a huge epeen waving contest by certain members, it annoys the shit out of me and I only wish to enjoy the hardware and discussion of it.

While it was out of context the general feeling of it isn't exactly wrong. (Doesn't excuse the out of context quote however)

Great - Continuing on with from your take, I don't care how big others think I think my ding-a-ling is. If I find an awesome find or a less than awesome find, I'll post it and I won't feel any guilt. For the people thinking I'm bragging, there's others thinking "I bought that for 20 bucks 5 years ago, wow you paid too much" and so on.

Let's use a recent finding of yours. If some goofball prevented you from posting about that Compaq V3500, I wouldn't have known it was disguised as a V3000. An interesting nugget of information and may keep me from missing out on one in the future. I didn't feel jealous, only joy of knowing I won't miss out on the opportunity in the future should another pop up.

Keep posting all the great "crap" you find. I am looking forward to it!

I refuse to submit to social pressure to keep silent, feel shame, or any other negative sentiment.

Reply 44570 of 52723, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-12, 15:44:

So not much different from any other Pentium 4 laptop then

P4 laptops were so bad weren't they 😁 Must have really pushed the designers to come up with efficient heat dissipation and battery management!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44571 of 52723, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Bought this beauty: an IBM PS/2 Model 25-004

3fb02801-def6-4e15-a808-4962c49c387fexas_04301.jpg
Filename
File size
72.3 KiB
Views
File license

Not the original keyboard, however, I do have an IBM Model M from 1991.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 44573 of 52723, by Lukeno94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-05-11, 21:50:
Lukeno94 wrote on 2022-05-10, 21:10:

Thought I'd pop up here and showcase what arrived today from Japan, at least the item that actually works out of the things I ordered - a nice, rare IBM ThinkPad S30. Screen was shot, with the classic vinegar syndrome starting, but I already had a replacement for my previous S30, which sadly is in much worse physical shape and also appears to be allergic to screen inverters. Haven't done much with this beyond swapping the screen and the HDD, and dumping a random W98 image from my ThinkPad 600E on it so far though!

Wow nice find! I was really tempted to buy one from someone downsizing their collection on the Thinkpads forum a couple of months ago, but have so far passed since I've got the Thinkpad 240Z and had the X20 / X31 back in the day - the styling / thinness of the S30 makes it so interesting though 😀
IT's odd too, that you've got one S30 that won't run the backlight, I read on an archived japanese thinkpad blog site that was a relatively common issue, one of the ones for sale recently had the same issue. I wonder what does that, since it's probably not the inverter that's broken?

I'm really not sure. The screen cable is a bit of a naff design - if you're taking out the LCD panel you've basically got to disconnect it from the inverter and remove the screw securing the inverter in place, or it'll either end up bending the inverter slightly or pulling the cable out. It also may be a chip on the motherboard that fails or a solder joint somewhere that is weak - I've got a ThinkPad 535E with exactly the same fault. In theory it would be possible to engineer a way around it but it is probably beyond me.

Reply 44574 of 52723, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
bjwil1991 wrote on 2022-05-12, 18:51:

Bought this beauty: an IBM PS/2 Model 25-004

Not the original keyboard, however, I do have an IBM Model M from 1991.

Love that!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 44575 of 52723, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bancho wrote on 2022-05-12, 21:27:
I've been after a small keyboard for a while now. Spotted this Cherry ML 4100 on eBay for £16 which I think was a really good pr […]
Show full quote

I've been after a small keyboard for a while now. Spotted this Cherry ML 4100 on eBay for £16 which I think was a really good price.

A8lha3Yl.jpg

I think my G84-4400 has the same switches and I really like them. Now I am tempted to also get one of these.

Reply 44576 of 52723, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GA-7VT600.JPG
Filename
GA-7VT600.JPG
File size
162.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Awesome! This went for the price of a cheap pizza, but looks like a fruit salad! First board with VIA KT600 chips.

Came with box, glossy manual and driver CD for an Asrock K7VT6... damn, now I'll have to get that one, too? And backplate for a third board.

Who buys RAM from f. hama and then goes on to not use it?!? High quality stuff, NIB but the gold plating chips off already...

I like jumpers.

Reply 44578 of 52723, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
imi wrote on 2022-05-13, 12:25:

that's the first time I read hama and "high quality stuff" in the same sentence 😁

Well, you can read that right there on the package! (the 10 year warranty might have run out, I lack the receipt... 🙁)

It's rather depressing, really. That's definitely still original sealed in one of those malicious plastic containers that can't possibly be opened without a tool and/or cutting your hand.
First time I find a RAM module where the gold plating of the contacts comes off, or they corrode beneath that, or whatever - see the markings.

hamarama.JPG
Filename
hamarama.JPG
File size
211.47 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Edit: Note the product title:
"SD-RAM PC 133, 256 MB"
...it's in quotes. Who puts the main info on a package in quotes?
Either they admitted they were selling a mere parody of an actual computer component or the underpaid pixel pusher in package design accidentally inserted the copy with the quotes. 😜
This thing just keeps on giving.

Last edited by Cuttoon on 2022-05-13, 13:45. Edited 2 times in total.

I like jumpers.