VOGONS

First post, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's some investment... Look at the prices!

(Not me and not linked to me in any way)

Attachments

• sound cards.PNG
    Filename
    sound cards.PNG
    File size
    301.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 1 of 18, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-13, 14:43:

That's some investment... Look at the prices!

(Not me and not linked to me in any way)

The rational for BIN offers is to charge more than an auction would possibly yield, so those prices, I hate to admit it, are not really that outrageous, when compared to recent auction results.
The Roland cards for sure, although I still fail to understand the appeal of the gravis.

I like jumpers.

Reply 3 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adlib, GUS, LAPC-I and SCC-1. That's like all the DOS music standards in one collection. Oh wait, it's missing AWE32, oh well. Still awesome. 😁

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 4 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Almost.. you forget Yamaha XG.

The complete in boxes is why they are priced so high. Still, I doubt anybody will actually pay that much.

While I do have some boxed hardware, I won't pay stupid prices for boxed hardware. A couple years ago I was able to get a boxed GUS for $35.

I do have all those cards except a real Adlib which matters not one bit as any OPL2 card will sound the same.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 18, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Meh. Needs a Soundscape Elite. 😁

Yeah a Yamaha XG product of some sort is a great thing to have.

Though these days I might prefer just hearing FM synth.

Last edited by swaaye on 2022-05-13, 18:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As a Canadian, I've always wanted to own an authentic "Made in Canada" GUS Classic. But at that price, even national pride has its limits.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-13, 15:08:

although I still fail to understand the appeal of the gravis.

Tracker music and demoscene stuff. If you're not into that, there isn't a whole lot of point to owning one.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-05-13, 18:30:

As a Canadian, I've always wanted to own an authentic "Made in Canada" GUS Classic. But at that price, even national pride has its limits.

Funny thing is, the boxed GUS I got a couple years ago was shipped to me from Canada.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 18, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-05-13, 18:03:

Adlib, GUS, LAPC-I and SCC-1. That's like all the DOS music standards in one collection. Oh wait, it's missing AWE32, oh well. Still awesome. 😁

IIRC, quite a few game had native support for the Pro Audio Spectrum.
The question remains whether that constitutes a "standard"...

I like jumpers.

Reply 10 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yummy, dual OPL2. I waited a long time to get a PAS and also a Sound Blaster Pro 1.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-13, 19:55:

I do consider it an early standard. If a game developer included it as a choice , and many did back then, then yes !

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-14, 00:28:

Yummy, dual OPL2. I waited a long time to get a PAS and also a Sound Blaster Pro 1.

I have a small collection of PAS, as a fellow member would have gladly sent you one if I would have known you wanted one ;p

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 12 of 18, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good question. How does music work natively on a PAS?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 13 of 18, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2022-05-14, 06:21:

Good question. How does music work natively on a PAS?

Well, I assume it does, but not on my dosbox. Master of Orion sure had some choice there. Never got the PAS despite noticing those back in the "almost for free" time. Never quite so interested. The SCSI interface is nice, though.

Attachments

• MoO_hardware_setup.png
    Filename
    MoO_hardware_setup.png
    File size
    50.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

I like jumpers.

Reply 14 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2022-05-14, 04:17:
I do consider it an early standard. If a game developer included it as a choice , and many did back then, then yes ! […]
Show full quote

I do consider it an early standard. If a game developer included it as a choice , and many did back then, then yes !

cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-14, 00:28:

I have a small collection of PAS, as a fellow member would have gladly sent you one if I would have known you wanted one ;p

Heh, if I knew you had a collection of them and wanted to give me one, I would have taken you up on the offer.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 15 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-15, 00:17:
Horun wrote on 2022-05-14, 04:17:

Heh, if I knew you had a collection of them and wanted to give me one, I would have taken you up on the offer.

Yeah have 5 various PAS16 Rev D's just sitting in a box with no plans to use all any time soon, if some very contributing member like you wanted one would be happy to give one away.
We have a Give Away topic but not a Wanted topic AFAIK. I think we should have one but limit it to only those that are at "Member" status and above or like the Posting minimum for PM's.
Just my opinion and know the Mods do a good job of keeping things clean here so maybe they could consider something like that since it would not be a "sales" topic ??
Or is there already such a topic ???

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, I have plenty of PAS16 cards. Those had been really easy to come by.

The one that I waited a long time to get is the PAS 8-bit card that has dual OPL2 chips. Then there is, the just as hard to find, PAS Plus which was the card in between the PAS 8-bit and the PAS16 cards. Thought I was never going to be able to track one of those down but finally did.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 17 of 18, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2022-05-15, 03:56:

Ah, I have plenty of PAS16 cards. Those had been really easy to come by.

The one that I waited a long time to get is the PAS 8-bit card that has dual OPL2 chips. Then there is, the just as hard to find, PAS Plus which was the card in between the PAS 8-bit and the PAS16 cards. Thought I was never going to be able to track one of those down but finally did.

Sounds cool. I've got a weird facination with the PAS. You've got photos? Love to see those cards.

Reply 18 of 18, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ahh yes I have one PAS 8, 650-0002. Never personally seen the PAS Plus....

Attachments

• my_Pas8_front.jpg
    Filename
    my_Pas8_front.jpg
    File size
    775.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain