I miss the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joakim wrote on 2022-05-13, 14:39:

me and my brother actually watched the entire Star Trek Voyager show on rental video.

This is a good example of something I DON'T miss from the 90s.
Sure TNG was full of propaganda too, but it took itself so seriously that people would watch it just for a good laugh.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 61 of 202, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shreddoc wrote:

how about we stick to the decades in question.

Fine, I miss the oil crisis of 1979.

Errius wrote:

Thank god that no longer happens

...yet.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2022-05-14, 02:27. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 62 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-14, 02:26:
Shreddoc wrote:

how about we stick to the decades in question.

Fine, I miss the oil crisis of 1979.

why not the Stock Market crash of 87 ?

I mean ..1929 was only the first evolution.

Reply 63 of 202, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote:

Less orphans.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 65 of 202, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, your not going to want to re-live the bad stuff.
I am talking about good things you miss.

Like the abundance of video stores and book stores and magazines.
You could rent anything and buy lots of books and magazines.
Computer builder books, magazines, and newspapers were everywhere.
It was exciting waiting to learn about new products for sale.
Its like window shopping at Christmas time.
I feel that Magic is gone today for computer builders and enthusiast.

Reply 66 of 202, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2022-05-14, 02:28:
TrashPanda wrote:

Less orphans.

And the retirement plan for 99.99% of Americans wasn’t Hobo box car Willy or death at 58

Reply 68 of 202, by 386SX

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I suppose there isn't really a best decade overall depending on so many variables and events happened and where we lived those times. For the tech subject I imagine the 90's would be probably the more interesting as long it wasn't necessary a consumer totally oriented target where true passion for the tech seems replaced by simply release/buy something new because "is new". Then the times when things like mobile phones were not a "requirement" to even take a walk because who knows who might call for whatever emergency and this is an interesting point imho the logic of being used to think 'something might happen so I need a phone/device/map' is imho a wrong way to prepare the mind to live the day because it's like not being able anymore to make simple things without whatever device never needed to do the same things in the past.

But I also understand many might miss those times cause the time passed itself so fast beside which decade lifestyle they miss, which indeed changed some things for better others not. But when looking back there's probably also the possibility that only few moments are remembered from hundreds and hundreds of entire days and it's easy to see things not exaclty realistically like all the days were happy days in a movie style way where entire days, weeks are compressed often into a happy few hours story.

While I may also miss old times when I think back I try to think that many things were just as sad as nowdays in a different way with more or less similar problems. What I do miss of the past may be a bit better health.

Last edited by 386SX on 2022-05-14, 15:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 202, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2022-05-14, 05:36:

I miss the times when forums were more heavily moderated.

Oh, you do? I actually left facebook some years ago due to their idea of moderation. "Context be damned, but your use of word does not comply with my braindead flowchart".
So, if it's to be American Gen Z moderation, I'm pretty happy with "none".
Let the penalty for you saying something I don't like that I don't like you, like the last 10000 years of human existence. Sticks and stones.

It's not like facebook does the type of moderation that's actually necessary - weeding out bots, fakes, spammers and scammers.

I really miss the times when killing Russians had only ever been grandpa's thing, and long past...

I like jumpers.

Reply 70 of 202, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually don't like to think of the entire decade of the 90s as a thing. In my opinion it makes more sense to group '75-'84, '85-94, and '95-'04. I'm haven't worked it out to an exact science, but they just seem to fit together in terms of the music, styles, cars and technology available from the start to the end of those time frames.

I'm pretty good at the whole cell phone game. I regularly leave the home without it. If somebody calls and I don't pick up, then tough shit. I don't always call back. If it's that important, whoever called can call again later. I've always tried to treat a cellphone like a landline. It's something that sits on my night stand, and I'll answer it when I happen to be there.

Censorshit and PC blows goats for bus fare and walks home. The internets worked just fine when there was basically no censorshit. The people in the media who claim that the world will implode if there is no web censorshit are probably computer illiterates who didn't have internets until 2010 and have no idea what it was like before their dumb asses got online. It's funny to see so-called liberals championing this bullshit these days. Back in olden days it was always the conservatives doing it. The difference is that the liberals mainly want to police your speech, while conservatives just want to take away your pr0n and Mortal Kombat.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 71 of 202, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm gonna say that back in the '70s, there weren't as many people who would incorrectly use an apostrophe in a plural. I miss that.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 74 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-15, 00:27:

English is my first language and I still failed that shite, I can spell just fine thanks to autocorrect but punctuation ...they dont actually expect me to remember all of the rules right.

English is such a fucked up language with how many rules it has.

Being Australian likely has a lot to do with me hating all the rules and using shorthand for 90% of my spoken words.

Reply 75 of 202, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-15, 02:55:
English is my first language and I still failed that shite, I can spell just fine thanks to autocorrect but punctuation ...they […]
Show full quote

English is my first language and I still failed that shite, I can spell just fine thanks to autocorrect but punctuation ...they dont actually expect me to remember all of the rules right.

Being Australian likely has a lot to do with me hating all the rules and using shorthand for 90% of my spoken words.

I need to add visiting Australia to my bucket list. You gave to world Mad Max, Dame Edna, smokos, Men at work, Crocodile Dundee, Young Einstein, Brain Dead (good, but from NZ), wonderfully colourful language, too many great actresses and and actors to name, etc.

Except for the giant spiders, extreme heat, and various other critters and bugs, do you nice folks have anything uncool worth complaining about ? 😉

Last edited by darry on 2022-05-15, 17:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 76 of 202, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
darry wrote on 2022-05-15, 05:57:
English is my first language and I still failed that shite, I can spell just fine thanks to autocorrect but punctuation ...they […]
Show full quote

I need to add visiting Australia to my bucket list. You gave to world Mad Max, Dame Edna, smokos, Men at work, Crocodile Dundee, Young Einstein, Brain Dead, wonderfully colourful language, too many great actresses and and actors to name, etc.

Except for the giant spiders, extreme heat, and various other critters and bugs, do you nice folks have anything uncool worth complaining about ? 😉

We have a tree dwelling horror that we choose to not speak of, me just telling you is likely to get me eaten.

Reply 78 of 202, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2022-05-15, 05:57:
Show full quote

I need to add visiting Australia to my bucket list. You gave to world Mad Max, Dame Edna, smokos, Men at work, Crocodile Dundee, Young Einstein, Brain Dead, wonderfully colourful language, too many great actresses and and actors to name, etc.

Brain Dead's a Peter Jackson movie, innit? That would probably make it not Australian.

Last edited by Shreddoc on 2022-05-15, 08:16. Edited 1 time in total.