VOGONS

Reply 21700 of 27170, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fiddeling around with emulators on a Wii.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 21701 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars (original) lately. Not exactly retro, but whatever I try to get other people to play with me they always scoff at the game being "too old".

I bought the original collector's edition and have several exclusive pre-order items. I've played this game for about 17 years on and off and still love it.

Reply 21702 of 27170, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm in a state of depression. Evident by me tinkering with old parts. I don't have the patience to play games anymore

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3
1 x SATA 120GB HDD
1 x SATA DVD-RW

Reply 21703 of 27170, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
maverick85 wrote on 2022-05-13, 20:30:

I'm in a state of depression. Evident by me tinkering with old parts. I don't have the patience to play games anymore

Chin up old chap. I regularly struggle with depression too. Quite a few do, sadly. If any aspect of this hobby helps you to cope, then that's cool and should be encouraged.

There are few purer antidotes to depression than actively doing something you can enjoy (or learn to enjoy). And also, sharing it with likeminded folk, is a small but useful help. It all adds up.

Reply 21704 of 27170, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Almost a daily ritual to get a lousy 32MB of SDRAM operating in an Intel VX-based ECS motherboard. Stick rolls in, I test it out, then toss it onto the island of misfit RAM. It's getting crowded there.

Reply 21705 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IZ778Dz.jpg

I'm just getting out of a deep dark hole. Just talking to a professional has saved my life.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 21706 of 27170, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Edited, too controversial.
Cheers,

Last edited by pentiumspeed on 2022-05-13, 23:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 21708 of 27170, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-05-13, 22:14:
Save up bit more to get better stuff, enjoy the healthy food you really like, and occasional fast food and tasty non-alcoholic d […]
Show full quote

Save up bit more to get better stuff, enjoy the healthy food you really like, and occasional fast food and tasty non-alcoholic drinks. Even changing jobs do wonders too if one can.

And spend around 15 to 30 minutes a day doing nothing in meditation, slowly breathe out and listen to soothing music. If some like to walk, walk, so on.

If you wanted something, save up, not lesser quality. Wait more to save up some more.

Etc.

Cheers,

Just. Don't. Giving that kind of lecture is a big no-no. It doesn't help at all. Mental health isn't a checklist, and giving people this advice only makes them not want to open up to you.

Reply 21709 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pentiumspeed wrote on 2022-05-13, 22:14:

Edited, too controversial.
Cheers,

It's not controversial, at least in my opinion, but its akin to telling someone with a broken leg to "walk it off". I understand you meant well with your comments and they are totally valid from your point of view. I feel more people need a bit of education when it refers to mental health. It should be openly discussed. Just maybe not here, at this time.

Reply 21710 of 27170, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes it's a bit of a deep and potentially emotive topic especially for this thread. Suffice it to say that I hope all of you fellow Vogoners get at least some small measure of enjoyment, positivity, or relief, as a result of playing your part in this good hobby and it's communities.

Once I can finally stop my compulsive web browsing!, I intend to do some weekend gaming and attempted relaxing. It's raining, so the weather is perfect for it.

Reply 21711 of 27170, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-13, 19:27:

I've been playing a lot of Guild Wars (original) lately. Not exactly retro, but whatever I try to get other people to play with me they always scoff at the game being "too old".

I bought the original collector's edition and have several exclusive pre-order items. I've played this game for about 17 years on and off and still love it.

Coincidentally I started playing World of Warcraft: The Burning Crucade Classic a few days ago for the first time. Back when WoW was released I couldn't care less about it and made fun of people who played it, now 17 years later it seems I'm the butt of my own jokes as I kinda like the game so far 🤣

Every year as summer gets closer and the days worm up I get less and less interested in games that have a strong storylines and start to prefer games that are easy to jump in and out and this works well for that. It's pretty relaxing actually even though it can be a bit unforgiving at times being the classic version, but I find that really refreshing. I bet I wouldn't like the non-classic modern WoW at all.

Reply 21712 of 27170, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't play new games anymore. I tend to just play the same ones until they become too familiar, then I forget about them but know I like them, and repeat. This has been my experience with Guild Wars for years. The nice thing about it is that there is lots to do and my progress is always additive with my past accomplishments.

Reply 21713 of 27170, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sombrero wrote on 2022-05-14, 05:19:

Coincidentally I started playing World of Warcraft: The Burning Crucade Classic a few days ago for the first time. Back when WoW was released I couldn't care less about it and made fun of people who played it, now 17 years later it seems I'm the butt of my own jokes as I kinda like the game so far 🤣

Every year as summer gets closer and the days worm up I get less and less interested in games that have a strong storylines and start to prefer games that are easy to jump in and out and this works well for that. It's pretty relaxing actually even though it can be a bit unforgiving at times being the classic version, but I find that really refreshing. I bet I wouldn't like the non-classic modern WoW at all.

I'm on Benediction and going into the "latest" raid, sunwell this weekend. ^.^

Reply 21714 of 27170, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Took a look at my dozens of empty cases and untested old systems. Going to have to take photos some time, and get opinions on roughly what year(s) they all are, so I can build period appropriate systems in them. Doubt I have anything earlier than 486 though other than the untested 286 system and non working 386 based PS/2 56 486SL2 (I think it's an SLC2 system with dead PSU that probably needs a full recap and new fuse)

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21715 of 27170, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The whole case style thing is a bit of a mess really, late 286es got into the first minitowers, and even early pentium P5s shipped in those huge "AT clone" horizontal desktop cases that looked too much like 1985.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21716 of 27170, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That makes sense, but I'm sure most can be at least pinned down to a 5 year range. Almost all my cases are tower, even the AT cases. Will be keeping an eye out for a couple of desktop cases for pre-486.

I just have no idea personally when it comes to cases - except that better airflow is usually newer 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21717 of 27170, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NyLan wrote on 2022-05-12, 11:46:
Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7 […]
Show full quote

Setup a triple boot on my IBM A20M with System Commander 7

- Windows 98SE
- Windows 3.11 ( on top of MS-Dos 6.22 )
- Ms-Dos 6.22 alone

I preferred to do it that way so I can have different setup of MS-Dos 6.22 for Windows and alone.

There's no MS-Dos only drivers. need to install Windows drivers to get MS-Dos drivers. And Windows 3.x drivers for the sound card are not working that well under pure DOS.
So for MS-Dos alone I'm using Windows9x Drivers grabbed from Windows install.

I may have decided to buy this exact model earlier ...comes with a nice metal case too and it looks to be in excellent condition due to being stored in that case. Didn't cost me a lot either which was a bonus, now I just need to buy a new battery for it and the base station. (Funny thing . .the postage to Australia was stupid but to be expected since the case alone would weigh a bit, postage costs are now one of the prime evils along with death and taxes!)

Your super clean pad inspired me to grab one.

Reply 21718 of 27170, by framebuffer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Technically I did this the last weekend, anyways I checked pretty much all my non-in-box mainboards for bulged capacitors and did a re-organisation in the storage to make them more easy to identify
Also found few CPUs I forgot in the socket who knows when 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1008.jpg
    File size
    441.2 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by framebuffer on 2022-05-15, 13:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Windows 98 and SAMBA | Quake CPU Benchmarks | GeForce2: GTS vs MX400

Reply 21719 of 27170, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
framebuffer wrote on 2022-05-15, 07:59:

Technically I did this the last weekend, anyways I checked pretty much all my non-in-box mainboards for bulged capacitors and did a re-organisation in the storage to make them more easy to identify
Also found few CPUs I forgot in the socket how knows when 😁

Find any bulging ones ? Im curious how storage affects "Cap Plague" era boards and if we as collectors can store such boards in a way that either reduces the chances of caps going bad or stops it.

I'm thinking that cool dry storage conditions would help a lot along with discharging the board before storing it.