VOGONS

First post, by moknok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This morning I woke to find my win98se machine on and running even though I shut it down last night. It is connected to a surge protector. Any fixes?

fast shutdown in msconfig is already turned off.

| WIN98SE non OEM | PII MMX | 350Mhz | 384RAM | Voodoo3 2000 PCI | DX7 | 126GB+ | Yamaha DS-XG Sound |

Reply 4 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would say the cheapest fix would be a power extension cord with a switch. Just switch it off when you no longer need it.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 6 of 8, by emote

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
AlexZ wrote on 2022-05-15, 13:27:

I would say the cheapest fix would be a power extension cord with a switch. Just switch it off when you no longer need it.

I turn old ATX machines off at the plug because the 5V standby is running all the time that it is connected to power. It's gotta fail eventually.

Reply 7 of 8, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Abit AN7 likes to power on spontaneously, and I literally see it happen for no logical reason. I suspect that either the caps are in need of replacement, or there's something else faulty with the board. Maybe the circuit connected to the power on switch has some faulty components. Point is it can happen even if you eliminate all the usual reasons like bios settings or the keyboard.

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718