VOGONS

Yamaha YMF-719 issues

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the SETUPSA mixer "sliders" produce change but it has other shortcomings; I get glitchy PCM audio in Ultima 8 and DOOM will not play PCM+MIDI, only MIDI. Tyrian 2000 will play both PCM+MIDI.

Right now I can see in that the WSS Mixer section the MASTER VOL sliders go from 0 to 15 and do in fact affect all volumes.
The SB Mixer section, the FM VOL, WAVE VOL and CD VOL all sliders change volume, however, SB VOL acts as an amplifier to ALL.
I couldn't test LINE VOL and MIC VOL because I don't have a mic and I don't have a mini-to-mini plug cable on-hand.

Another unexpected thing is that using SACDROM with VIDECDD and SHSUCDX, I get "Invalid device request reading drive E". Media Player in Win 3.1 will not show the MCI CD AUDIO device that I installed, although I can hear red book audio if I play a CD directly through the CD unit controls. I got this same CD driver playing on my SB32 through creative's CD Player program.

The card has a YMF719E-S chip.

Reply 21 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This sounds like there is actually something wrong with the card. All photos I see of the particular version of the card you got have single 33.8688MHz crystal, with missing 24.576MHz one. This could be the reason for the weirdnesses...

You're not supposed to have another CD driver when using SACDROM, it isn't just initialization but driver too, and you only have MSCDEX or something else use it.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 22 of 25, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, with your drivers the card works fine, except that those sliders on your mixer don’t do anything but apart from that it’s perfect.

I thought the SACDROM was just an initialization driver, not the actual CD driver.

Reply 23 of 25, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Mixer sliders not working is the suspicious thing that maybe suggest something is wrong with the card, they should be fully functional and affect all the sound tests.

Ok, it is only initialisation driver. I used google translate for the french documentation. You'll have to conf the IDE with correct address and IRQ parameters, and then make sure the CD driver you use will also use them or things cannot work properly. IRQ selection is probably the critical thing, as default for IDE is not available to use and one will have to manually specify it. I'm not sure how one will do it with VIDECDD.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 24 of 25, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I figured it out too when I read the readme and read the mention of the mitsumi driver and an example. However, it refuses to read any data cds. I have SACDROM.SYS > VIDECDD.SYS then autoexec loads SHSUCDX. This way, I got VIDECDD to detect there is a CD device on the tertiary IDE address and it apparently loads, however it fails. Same thing happens with XDVD2.SYS instead of VIDECDD.SYS, it detects a CD01 device on IDE but DOS fails the dir command. I have yet to try MSCDEX. I even tried with the LG DOS driver and but it won't even detect the device on the IDE port.

Reply 25 of 25, by lavadrop

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just confirmed my YMF71x card’s IDE interface is either damaged or defective. It has been superseded as an MPU interface only while my SB32 does the PCM and IDE. CTCU still reports there is a DMA conflict between OPL3SA ISA and OPL3ISA card. 😄
Oh well. Fortunately the SB32 cost 7 dollars in a lot of 3 ISA modems and a VLB disk controller card.