Common searches

Reply 120 of 262, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-05-07, 21:28:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-05-05, 17:23:

Some time ago finished all 9 seasons of X-Files. (There are only 9 seasons! Don't even try to tell me anything else!)

Currently I'm at 3rd season of Stargate SG-1. 😎

Never saw 1. It any good?

It's the best. But it might be my childhood nostalgia partially speaking. 😁

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 122 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok I am totally going to sound like a nerd and a tard. But STTNG is laughably stupid to me. The choice of actors, mostly. The scripts largely stolen from the original series. The pc bullcrap, like Ryker eating klingon worms to exemplify his commitment to diversity. O God please! Now I understand that even the original series was incredibly pc or "woke" in it's day. One of every ethnic group on the bridge (but no Mexicans curiously). But at least there weren't kids! Somebody please tell me what a 14 year old is doing.on THE BRIDGE of a flipping mutha fluffin starship???!!!

In the modern era STV is the best deal. I sort of kind of liked STE, largely on account of the episode I first watched, which told me the rest must be as kewell. The vulcan chick in a belly shirt, need I say more.

I actually have an idea for a new series. I should perhaps start to flesh it out.

Reply 124 of 262, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

.. I sorta liked all ST shows up until the late 2000s, even ENT, which wasn't labeled as ST: originally.
They had all their pros and cons, but were equally optimistic.
Which to many existing fans is the very core of ST, I think. The dream of a better humanity in the future.
ST was about the only series that showed our potential.

And that's exactly what the current shows are up to destroy.
The 2009 film started with a scene of young Kirk driving his (step) father's ~1966 Corvetten into an abyss, while the song "Sabotage" was running.
The not so subtle message, as perceived by many fans, was like: 'Yo! Old time fans, kiss my ***!' Yeah, very nice.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

Anyway, the only thing an individual like me can do is preserving the old shows by buying physical copies.
I don't trust CBS. Maybe they'll ban or stop selling rights of the old shows in favor of the 2009+ shows.

And yes, I'm currently watching the new shows, too, even though it really hurts. Massively.
It's like fighting the disgust about Windows 10/11 and keep tinkering with it, just for the sake of being up-to-date.

Edit: Please don't get me wrong.
If these, uhm, "works" wouldn't have been tagged with an ST label, perhaps I wouldn't have said anything.
Without any official relationship to ST, they would make a good entertainment (for the crowd) or would qualify as a parody, even.
But what we see now isn't what ST stands for, I think.
In fact, I'd rather be willing to see Chewbacca in the captain's chair.
He used to be an honorable,dependable character with pride and dignity, at least.

Last edited by Jo22 on 2022-05-17, 12:48. Edited 1 time in total.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 125 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally I'd like to jettison both ST and SW as a fan. As examples of the space opera genre, I think both fall short. More so SW, with it's original pseudo mystical elements. So stupid.

I don't hate ST. As I've said TNG and DS9 are pretty revolting. Voyager ran long enough that it delved into some thought provoking crappola. I'm not in love with it. But imo, other then the original series, in it's day, it's the best series far and away. When I started watching TNG, recently, after having not seen it for eons, a bit of my hatred was abated. But I could never ever forgive them putting a zoner medium on the bridge. And the ****ing kid. So so ridiculous.

When I first started watching Enterprise, I kind of liked Bakula as the captain. But after a while it seemed like he was straining to get his lines out, like he couldn't take it seriously. They could have done a better job.

Reply 126 of 262, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chris2021 wrote on 2022-05-08, 17:18:

I was actually making inquiries into the x files. I didn't even see the last part of your poat.

Oh,

It's good! Better than SG-1.

With SG-1, some times you do have to shut your brain off on some things. (Some basic military routines, precautions, etc are in some situations completely ignored and it doesn't make sense at all) But you don't want to ruin it for yourself and it's not really a problem. Just time-to-time, it needs to be done.

X-files on the other hand - perfection. Of course, it's old, sometimes a bit "forced" scenarios, etc, but it's beautiful. You can fully enjoy it, if "alien mystery investigations" is a thing for you.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 127 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I never watched the X-Files, but I did see the last 9 episodes, all but the final episode, of the Fringe. It was goofy, but at least a little funny. Please don't spoil the very ending.

Many years ago we had Kolchak: the Night Stalker. As a pre pubescent moron I was quite taken with it. I really REALLY wanted to see that dinosaur. Technology had not sufficiently developed for any of that to happen. All we got was hanging lights battered about as I recall. Even STE had a pretty poor cgi Gorn.

Reply 128 of 262, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chris2021 wrote on 2022-05-08, 20:26:

Well I never watched the X-Files, but I did see the last 9 episodes, all but the final episode, of the Fringe. It was goofy, but at least a little funny. Please don't spoil the very ending.

The original X-Files had some very interesting not to say fascinating episodes.
Those that left the main story line, I mean.
Some weren't too unrealistic, even, I think. All these episodes involving AI were interesting and feasible with 1980/90s tech.
Fun fact: They had different PCs each time to write their reports. Windows 3.1 was seen on screen a few times, even. 🙂👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 129 of 262, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In my memory, Scully uses a Mac a lot.

The problem with X Files now, is that parts of it's style was much imitated, because it was popular and did new things, but they look corny now that many shows have done them. Though that can go for a lot of classic shows... it was innovative then, but it's been done to death since, so to new eyes seems like "same old, same old" but that is where it first came from. So if you're easily irritated by that kind of thing, it might be hard to get into some stuff. Usually it's not all framing and shot style that made it so great though, but the actual content, characters, stories, humor, so give it a few episodes.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 131 of 262, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-17, 13:08:

Halo the series!

Master Chief takes off his helmet
Master Chief Jr
Irritating woman child
Doesn’t get more Halo like until episode 5

Still better than a lot of stuff on streaming even if it doesn’t follow any lore

Reply 132 of 262, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Finished powering through the rest of GoT. It ended up being even more disappointing that I expected (and that was going into the final season with really low expectations).

Started watching Moon Knight. Seems decent so far; very much the usual blend of Marvel-style action and humor.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 133 of 262, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished The Ranch, and I am starting Arrested Development

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 134 of 262, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"There's always money in the banana stand!"

Finished the Kids In The Hall (2022) Killing it, and Severance this week.
Watching Inside No 9 S7, Shining Girls, Barry S3, Made for Love S2

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 135 of 262, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heartstopper (2022 series) was great, really sweet and nostalgic, feelgood. As many reviewers say: it is a relief, a brief antidote to the high stresses of the current world. Brilliant.

Has shades of (1999-2000 cult show) Freaks and Geeks.

Reply 136 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, I've now viewed all 3 Dan Brown movie adaptations. Last night I watched (all 3 hours of?) The Davinci Code. I thought it was stupid, stupid premise, peepee poor attempt at skewing the Holy Grail story. The other 2 were ok, liked them considerably better then DC. I never ever really gave any thought to watching them, much less reading the books. Which is strange because delving into antiquities is definitely one of my things.

And it was only in the last few months that I saw both original Tomb Raider movies. Also kind of poorly done. I haven't seen the newer one yet.

Reply 137 of 262, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My wife and I are currently watching:
-The Last Kingdom (currently in season 3)
-Outer Range
-several network shows including The Goldbergs, This is Us and Dateline
-The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead
-Documentaries: Lost Gold of the Aztecs, The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch, Expedition Bigfoot

They are all enjoyable. I don't get all the negativity and criticism of the various shows in this thread. You watch something because you enjoy it. You don't enjoy it, you move on to something you do. We enjoy all the shows I listed above.

edit: forgot to mention we enjoy various paranormal shows. Like The Ghost Adventures, Kindred Spirits, Portals to Hell, Paranormal Lockdown, and The Dead Files.

Last edited by clueless1 on 2022-05-22, 13:02. Edited 1 time in total.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 138 of 262, by chris2021

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There was a book the Last Kingdom by a guy named Cornwall or Cornwell. Typical viking/angli-saxon period faire. I still have the book, haven't but skummed the first few pages as of yet.

Movie ratings are based on criticisms. I don't want to sit through something because no one told me it was bad (if it is). I have better ways to waste my time. I appreciate good and bad comments. Ignore the bad ones if you disagree with them.

Reply 139 of 262, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chris2021 wrote on 2022-05-21, 23:56:

There was a book the Last Kingdom by a guy named Cornwall or Cornwell. Typical viking/angli-saxon period faire. I still have the book, haven't but skummed the first few pages as of yet.

Movie ratings are based on criticisms. I don't want to sit through something because no one told me it was bad (if it is). I have better ways to waste my time. I appreciate good and bad comments. Ignore the bad ones if you disagree with them.

I am a "glass half full" kind of guy. I can almost always see the positive in any situation. I can watch shows that other people criticize as "the worst thing I've ever seen", shrug my shoulders, and wonder if we're talking about the same show. Maybe it wasn't great, but it also wasn't as horrible as the critic made it out to be. So whenever I see/read/hear other people do this, part of me wonders if they are just a negative person that enjoys complaining. People can and do do that, you know. They like to stir the pot and enjoy the feeling of power and the attention that their bickering attracts.

I can usually tell by the first few minutes whether I'm going to like a show or not. Oftentimes I will sit through a show I know I won't like because I know my wife really wants to see it. I can get to the end, say "Meh...", but still have enjoyed some aspects of it.

Sorry, continue on! I won't further derail this thread...

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks