VOGONS

First post, by DesktopDynamite

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I would like to build a rig to be able to run both DOS [from 93' ish] and Win9x games.

SPECS:
Asus P3B-F Slot 1 with latest beta BIOS [Intel 440BX based]
512MB RAM
Pentium III 500Mhz Katmai [can set speed to 333Mhz from BIOS]
Voodoo 3 2000 PCI
Creative AWE64 CT4520 value ISA card
For OS I have an IDE2SD reader card with a 4GB SD card with Win98SE and another 1GB SD card with MS-DOS 6.22 with Phil's MS-DOS starter pack.

I have also the Yamaha YMF-724V PCI as per the attached photo, which I currently removed to make sure that the above is set correctly.

Excuse my noob questions [coming from the Amiga scene...], but can these be set to run in one machine and let me choose which I want to use ? For example the set the music to be output from Yamaha card and the SFX from the Creative card or I will complicate things more?

Maybe someone here hava a similar combined specs and can guide me please?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• ymf724 .jpg
    Filename
    ymf724 .jpg
    File size
    41.84 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    YMF-724 Yamaha PCI
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it all comes down to resources
lets say the AWE is on Port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, High 5
and the YMF is on Port 240, IRQ 7, DMA 6 High 3

As long as the dos game allows you to select the card/settings you can tell it which port to use, say doom you would set it up something like
SFX= Sound blaster on Port 220
Music= General Midi on 240

Windows is a bit easier, go to device manager and select the primary device for sound and music and the game will usually default to that.
Some games wont play nice and force you to use the same card for everything, every now and then a game also may not like 2 soundacards for whatever reason.
If that's the case you can always disable one from device manager or not load the drivers in a dos boot menu

But a lot of us have 2 cards in a PC like this. PCI card for windows and ISA card for dos. My Slot 1 actually has 3 cards Onboard Yamaha YMF, Audigy 2 and AWE64 and all play nice.

PS I'm not saying use those specific settings, It'll depend on what works in your system, PCI cards especially can be very picky on what they'll work on

Reply 2 of 9, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was considering myself using SB AWE64 for digital sounds and using yamaha YMF744 card for getting opl3 in dos instead of the awe64 music. Is there any reason why this would not work?

Reply 3 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thats still fine, just as long as you point the games setup to the AWE's resources for digital sound and the Yamaha for the music .
Any game that only allows you to select 1 device for both sound and music you'll have to pick one card or the other though.

oh and Adlib games will use both cards simultaneously, just make sure to mute the card you don't want

Reply 4 of 9, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Better yet, disable the AdLib port on the AWE64 which is possible to do in both DOS and Windows. This way you won't need to be adjusting the mixer of both sound cards in case you want to use the EMU8K capabilities of the AWE64.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 9, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2022-05-15, 15:53:

But a lot of us have 2 cards in a PC like this. PCI card for windows and ISA card for dos. My Slot 1 actually has 3 cards Onboard Yamaha YMF, Audigy 2 and AWE64 and all play nice.

Can I know how your end device, the speakers, is resolved? Each soundcard its own set or some sort of mixer?

Reply 6 of 9, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ydee wrote on 2022-05-16, 10:44:

Can I know how your end device, the speakers, is resolved? Each soundcard its own set or some sort of mixer?

Typically I just use 1 card per game and have audio extention cables that I plug the speakers into. The rare times I do want to use 2 cards I have a 2nd set of speakers I can use.
Most people though connect line out from 1 card to line in of the other card which also has the speakers attached.

Reply 8 of 9, by Vallenrod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am rocking very similar spec with three sound cards (link to specs). In DOS I use AWE32 and GUS simultaneously on regular basis midi/opl music from AWE32 and sfx through GUS. In Windows Me I use third sound card: Aureal Vortex 2 for some 3d sound goodness.
All of them are working well together, it is just a matter of good resource allocation especially in DOS, Windows can do IRQ sharing and is more forgiving.
Later I have added an adaptec PCI scsi controller card which also coexists nicely. The trick to all of this hardware working in DOS is extensive use of loadsys tool and numerous bat files I have created to load or unload drivers for different occasions (cdon, cdoff, ftpon, ftpoff, scsion, scsioff etc.)
To mix all the audio outputs I use: Maker Hart LOOP MIXER

Cheers.

Reply 9 of 9, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Ydee wrote on 2022-05-16, 10:44:

I have quite a few systems, many of which with multiple cards. The daisychain-option (line out from one into line in on the other) never really worked for me, always had noise issues and got irritated by having to mess around with mixer settings every time I swapped a card. Instead I hook it all up to a mixer (Behringer RX1602 in my case - highly recommended)