VOGONS

Reply 21780 of 27188, by HanSolo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Upgraded the RAM of my two Toshiba Satellite Notebooks (Pentium 233 MMX) from 32MB to 64MB and 96MB.
They only have 1 slot so 96MB (32 MB internal + 64 MB) is practically the maximum. 128 MB EDO SODIMMs seem to exists but I never saw them being sold (and surely not for a reasonable price). But 96 MB should be quite a lot for everything that runs on a Pentium 1 system without 3D accelerator.

Reply 21781 of 27188, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-19, 12:52:
Sure, here you go. Note that it originally was a Mendocino only slotket, hence why the printed VCore settings don't go lower tha […]
Show full quote

Sure, here you go. Note that it originally was a Mendocino only slotket, hence why the printed VCore settings don't go lower than 2.0v. (and disregard the 1GHz P3, it was there as a filler.)

20220519_155044.jpg

Also, these are the settings I found (which work accordingly) for it after I did the mod. Same company that did my slotket btw.

s-l1600(1).jpg

Dont know about these, if they support 1GHz coppermine, they will prob be fine working modded with Tualatin, or if you mod one Tualatin to work with most Slotkets...
MSI 6905 Master slotkets when modded work with Taualatins no problem.

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 21782 of 27188, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-19, 09:54:

Wondering whether I should adventure in getting a slotket to work with my ABIT BE6-II. I have had rather unpleasant stuff going on with the old one (which just for the lulz I might relegate to a 440LX mobo just to see if I can get a 633 or 700MHz Celeron to run on those - they're 66FSB parts after all, even if they're Coppermine.) and the new slotket I got, while looking a bit more advanced than the old one (I have a row of dip switches on the new slotket dictating the CPU VCore to whatever I want 🤣) , also required doing the wire mod to allow Coppermines to run (talk about being so cheap you fake advertise it as FCPGA compatible - it wasn't until I read the puny VCore table that I realized this was a Mendocino only slotket - the original table doesn't go less than 2.0V vcore - I had to manually track down a photo of a newer revision of the slotket I have (apparently made by a company named Cooltek or something around that) where it had a broader VCore table that would go down to 1.6V max.

And my other question would be whether those DIP switches can set it lower than 1.6v? If so, this might be the biggest score for me, as not only I could dictate VCore at my absolute free will, but also I'd be able to run pinmodded Tualatins without any adapter, very likely.

AFAIK the slotcket it self does not generate the vcore, it only tells the regulator of the motherboard what to supply, so your motherboard's vrm must support coppermine voltages for it to work.

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 21783 of 27188, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2022-05-19, 17:45:

Wondering whether I should adventure in getting a slotket to work with my ABIT BE6-II. I have had rather unpleasant stuff going on with the old one (which just for the lulz I might relegate to a 440LX mobo just to see if I can get a 633 or 700MHz Celeron to run on those - they're 66FSB parts after all, even if they're Coppermine.) and the new slotket I got, while looking a bit more advanced than the old one (I have a row of dip switches on the new slotket dictating the CPU VCore to whatever I want 🤣) , also required doing the wire mod to allow Coppermines to run (talk about being so cheap you fake advertise it as FCPGA compatible - it wasn't until I read the puny VCore table that I realized this was a Mendocino only slotket - the original table doesn't go less than 2.0V vcore - I had to manually track down a photo of a newer revision of the slotket I have (apparently made by a company named Cooltek or something around that) where it had a broader VCore table that would go down to 1.6V max.

And my other question would be whether those DIP switches can set it lower than 1.6v? If so, this might be the biggest score for me, as not only I could dictate VCore at my absolute free will, but also I'd be able to run pinmodded Tualatins without any adapter, very likely.

AFAIK the slotcket it self does not generate the vcore, it only tells the regulator of the motherboard what to supply, so your motherboard's vrm must support coppermine voltages for it to work.

Doesn't it depend on the SlotKet? Most were like you say, the ones I have are, but they have many empty pads where components would go. I'm sure I've seen some with lots of components on that could be doing the regulation?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21784 of 27188, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I picked up a HP SK-2502C keyboard, checked if it works, disassembled and cleaned it. Still drying. Has some scratch marks and a little yellowed, but otherwise it's in decent condition.

I also picked up these:

IMG_20220519_182759.jpg
Filename
IMG_20220519_182759.jpg
File size
1.11 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No plans for them, but I thought I shouldn't let them waste away. I guess I'm starting to become a hoarder 😐

Also earlier this week I got a gamepad from a coworker. It's a Quickshot QS-6218. It works as a 2-axis, 4-button gamepad, but I can't find a working driver for it to use all 6 buttons. Tried the one from here, also the one in Vogons Driver Library, but if I add it in control panel (W98) it says 'not connected'. Tomb Raider (it detects the pad if I choose 2-axis, 4-button) refuses to use it, but I could play some races in International Rally Championship. Prince of Persia 3D also works fine with the controller.

Edit.
Oh yeah, I also tested 2 SATA hard drives. An 80G Matrox and a 160G Samsung.
The matrox is bad, not detected by anything, the Samsung is worse, the PSU won't even turn on if it's connected.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 21785 of 27188, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PARKE wrote on 2022-05-19, 13:59:

They are sure similar in looks but as far as I have been able to sleuth the first one is made by Soyo (that used the [PII CPU CARD] denomination for several revisions) and the second one is made by Shuttle - see attached.
HOT-C003 (Print-Version).pdf
But the dipswitches work exactly the same so you were lucky. I guess these guys sometimes worked together to some extent and/or 'borrowed' design details from each other.

Figured I'd come back to this - the PII CPU CARD is apparently OEM'd by Acorp, not Soyo. I found one ebay listing with the exact slotket I have and it had an Acorp sticker on it, and searching Acorp PII CPU CARD yielded an result for a Bulgarian classified ehich showed the 1.0 revision (which has red dip switches, as far as I can tell that's the only difference.

Radical Vision wrote on 2022-05-19, 17:20:
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-19, 12:52:
Sure, here you go. Note that it originally was a Mendocino only slotket, hence why the printed VCore settings don't go lower tha […]
Show full quote

Sure, here you go. Note that it originally was a Mendocino only slotket, hence why the printed VCore settings don't go lower than 2.0v. (and disregard the 1GHz P3, it was there as a filler.)

20220519_155044.jpg

Also, these are the settings I found (which work accordingly) for it after I did the mod. Same company that did my slotket btw.

s-l1600(1).jpg

Dont know about these, if they support 1GHz coppermine, they will prob be fine working modded with Tualatin, or if you mod one Tualatin to work with most Slotkets...
MSI 6905 Master slotkets when modded work with Taualatins no problem.

Getting Coppermines to work on it requires this mod from here: http://krick.3feetunder.com/370mod/.

Also I work with what I can find locally - eBay isn't an option and finding slotkets here in Romania is like looking for a needle in a haystack, even worse if you want a native Coppermine compatible one. My only choices are this Acorp, some unknown one that would require some reworking to get it to semi-natively support Coppermines (there's a free spot for what looks like a regulator, plus some caps and such) and a Biostar AC01-AX that god knows if it would run Coppermines stable on my BE6-II. (plus there's literally almost nothing else besides the socket and a few SMD parts on either of those two, the Biostar and the unknown slotket)

BE6-II does suppoet Coppermine voltages. The one I cureently have running in it at the moment is a 1.65V rated Coppermine 650MHz SL3XK.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21786 of 27188, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-05-19, 17:50:

Doesn't it depend on the SlotKet? Most were like you say, the ones I have are, but they have many empty pads where components would go. I'm sure I've seen some with lots of components on that could be doing the regulation?

You're right that some slotkets with vrm circuitry exists, but often very expensive. Most find in the wild just sends signals to the motherboard vrm

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 21787 of 27188, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today, at last, i got this damn thing into working order!
It's been in my hands for maybe 2 years already!

The Super IO controller chip was bad and replacing that (combined with my lack of skills) i was soldering and desoldering new controller chip on the board maybe 10 times. I had lots of accidental bridges between legs and stuff like that until i somehow killed the replacement chip.

At one point, i saw someone selling super-io controller locally, that was also used as donor before. But the chip was same and still present. Bought that scrap card for something like 0.10€ and today had a chance to try again with a new replacement chip. Tried some new techniques (for me) and amazingly, it came out 100% working!
I had already lost my hopes and was preparing myself to just desolder the controller chip and use a separate controller card in ISA slot to just get it working somehow... but now, it works perfectly with all ports that are integrated to motherboard! No non-working ports on this machine!

While at it, i was able to figure out jumper settings to get it from 128kB of cache to 256kB of cache, so that's another upgrade.

Now brought out some old CRT, keyboard and mouse, will clean them up as well (the machine itself is already cleaned) and then i have the last task - finding a good new home for it. 😀

FYI, it is this bastard - a really really weird computer:
Help to identify: MULTIPRO VII-386DXV (UR INFINITY)

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21788 of 27188, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
framebuffer wrote on 2022-05-19, 07:33:
Maybe you can select just the less common / more interesting ones 🙂 I could have done the same but completely forgot, too focuse […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-18, 20:00:
framebuffer wrote on 2022-05-18, 16:36:

post some pics when you do it 😉

Can do! Gonna be a lot of pics though and I've got several other projects that need to be completed before that (mostly not to do with anything hardware related btw).

Btw, how many boards do you have in total? If you have THAT many without a motherboard box I reckon your stash is quite substantial indeed 😋

Maybe you can select just the less common / more interesting ones 🙂
I could have done the same but completely forgot, too focused on getting that floor clear 😅

ATM I have 124 boards and pretty much no more space, so I'm holding on new purchases unless it's something I really, really (really!) want 😅

Yes, that would be better or it's gonna be a lot of pics of really boring boards like some certain i810 boards I may have 2 or 3 of 😜

At some point I've basically stopped collecting and only got some little bits now and again. I reckon I'm at roughly similar amount of boards but most of those are definitely not high-end or interesting boards (like KT133 without ISA, 440LX, 430VX, with a significant portion of these being OEM boards like Compaq etc) and some of these are as of yet not even tested.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21789 of 27188, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-05-19, 18:17:

Figured I'd come back to this - the PII CPU CARD is apparently OEM'd by Acorp, not Soyo. I found one ebay listing with the exact slotket I have and it had an Acorp sticker on it, and searching Acorp PII CPU CARD yielded an result for a Bulgarian classified ehich showed the 1.0 revision (which has red dip switches, as far as I can tell that's the only difference.

Last year I tracked down provenance for a number of slotkets and the one on the bottom left of this page
https://archive.org/details/eu_Ct_1999-09_OCR … e/n141/mode/2up
indicates that this is a model that was manufactured by Soyo.
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
text from article:
((Later, however, we received a completely different card from Soyo, clearly not a family of the first, but decorated with the same name "Pll CPU CARD". Anyway, the new adapter is a lot nicer. This time there is a jumper (‘Over Clock’) for 100 MHz on autodetect boards and the core voltage can be detected automatically or set manually. Also, the pcb print now mentions ‘Dual CPU M/B’ but unfortunately we could not test that function anymore on time with only one available adapter. The fittings for standard slot-1 brackets that come with the new adapter are a bit stubborn when clicked in, but still ensure a good attachment in these brackets.))
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
There is not much or anything at all known to what extent these firms worked together or even if some of them made their own slotkets or bought them from some workshop in Taiwan. There is also a revision 1.5 that was marketed by PCChips. And so on...😀

Reply 21790 of 27188, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-05-19, 19:04:
Today, at last, i got this damn thing into working order! It's been in my hands for maybe 2 years already! FYI, it is this basta […]
Show full quote

Good Job !

All i did today was DL a few large vintage game packs, one is the complete archive of REMOVED and a 1980-1989 game/software pack mostly for XT's (freeware/abandonware) .
AFAIK those are all legal to DL and use. The other two that total can't really talk about here ;p

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-03-20, 02:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21791 of 27188, by bstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally finished fixing a 386 33 DX I picked up over a year ago. It needed an RTC replacement (finally used the glitchwrks thing, but I prefer just modding the dead RTC chips) and a new tantalum capacitor right next to it. I also snagged a XT-IDE card that made getting my 32gb CF card up and running almost zero effort. It's almost a full tower, but I have a great spot for it so it's all good . Still needs a CD drive and probably a Gotek.

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0644.jpg
    File size
    1.68 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0643.jpg
    File size
    1.56 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 21792 of 27188, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bstar wrote on 2022-05-20, 02:11:

I finally finished fixing a 386 33 DX I picked up over a year ago.

Nice ! That is a tall tower 😀 Good to see you using a UPS ! Most Cyberpower are good as are most APC, they are a bit expensive but they are generally built well and can save a much more valuable piece of hardware !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 21793 of 27188, by bstar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-05-20, 02:27:
bstar wrote on 2022-05-20, 02:11:

I finally finished fixing a 386 33 DX I picked up over a year ago.

Nice ! That is a tall tower 😀 Good to see you using a UPS ! Most Cyberpower are good as are most APC, they are a bit expensive but they are generally built well and can save a much more valuable piece of hardware !

I'm a much bigger fan of desktop 386s/486s, but I don't have the room anymore and I had that spot waiting for this chonker. I snagged the UPS at Costco... best place to buy heavy stuff.

Reply 21794 of 27188, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2022-05-20, 01:12:
Good Job ! […]
Show full quote
Today, at last, i got this damn thing into working order! It's been in my hands for maybe 2 years already! FYI, it is this basta […]
Show full quote

Good Job !

All i did today was DL a few large vintage game packs, one is the complete archive of REMOVED and a 1980-1989 game/software pack mostly for XT's (freeware/abandonware) .
AFAIK those are all legal to DL and use. The other two that total can't really talk about here ;p

I don't think abandonware is strictly legal if the original creator didn't explicitly release it for free. Nice collection though 😀

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-03-20, 02:33. Edited 1 time in total.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 21795 of 27188, by TheChexWarrior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Those things, discs and stuff arrived to my house.

Attachments

Reply 21796 of 27188, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Today, at last, i got this damn thing into working order! It's been in my hands for maybe 2 years already! […]
Show full quote

The Super IO controller chip was bad and replacing that (combined with my lack of skills) i was soldering and desoldering new controller chip on the board maybe 10 times. I had lots of accidental bridges between legs and stuff like that until i somehow killed the replacement chip.

At one point, i saw someone selling super-io controller locally, that was also used as donor before. But the chip was same and still present. Bought that scrap card for something like 0.10€ and today had a chance to try again with a new replacement chip. Tried some new techniques (for me) and amazingly, it came out 100% working!
I had already lost my hopes and was preparing myself to just desolder the controller chip and use a separate controller card in ISA slot to just get it working somehow... but now, it works perfectly with all ports that are integrated to motherboard! No non-working ports on this machine!

While at it, i was able to figure out jumper settings to get it from 128kB of cache to 256kB of cache, so that's another upgrade.

Now brought out some old CRT, keyboard and mouse, will clean them up as well (the machine itself is already cleaned) and then i have the last task - finding a good new home for it. 😀

And now it has MR-BIOS as well! What a beauty!

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21797 of 27188, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this to boot up!

Attachments

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21798 of 27188, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Started performance testing my finished Windows 98 box and got through about one third of the games I plan to check, also disqualifying some because of Vsync issues. Looks like I'll have a lot more of those. Everything trying to go for 30/60fps if I set my screen to 60Hz or 38/75fps if I set it to 75Hz really messes with things. Like for example Aliens vs Predator 2 has significantly worse performance (both minimum and average fps) in 60Hz than in 75Hz mode, while Colin McRae Rally 2.0 is more mixed (much better average fps in 60Hz mode while much better minimum fps in 75Hz mode). My previous Ti4200 also had this issue, but not to this degree. Over all it's very circumstantial whether the FX5700 is faster or not even when Vsync is off on both cards.

Reply 21799 of 27188, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-20, 18:07:

Started performance testing my finished Windows 98 box and got through about one third of the games I plan to check, also disqualifying some because of Vsync issues. Looks like I'll have a lot more of those. Everything trying to go for 30/60fps if I set my screen to 60Hz or 38/75fps if I set it to 75Hz really messes with things. Like for example Aliens vs Predator 2 has significantly worse performance (both minimum and average fps) in 60Hz than in 75Hz mode, while Colin McRae Rally 2.0 is more mixed (much better average fps in 60Hz mode while much better minimum fps in 75Hz mode). My previous Ti4200 also had this issue, but not to this degree. Over all it's very circumstantial whether the FX5700 is faster or not even when Vsync is off on both cards.

Need for Speed: High Stakes was AWFUL. I couldn't go higher than 640×480 in 32bit mode and in 1280×960@16 it was slower than Hot Pursuit 2 in 1280×1024@32, so just breifly tried driver version 53.04. Now Vsync can be turned off in Quake 2. It's still a lot slower than on Ti4200 (166 vs 256 fps) and NFS4 now crashes to the desktop in Direct3D mode. IRC is also seems slower. Further testing late afternoon. So far I'm very disappointed with the FX.