Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 44700 of 52337, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-19, 21:48:
Out of curiosity and because a HX board might be good to have what revision of this board is good to get ? […]
Show full quote
HanJammer wrote on 2022-05-19, 20:45:

I think the price bubble finally popped.
I bought this for a price that would be low even in 2019 at local auction service.
Case is dirty but machine is fully functional. It has Gigabyte GA-586HX inside, which is one of the best Socket 7 motherboards (I have like 3 or 4 of them my main S7 machine is based on one too) and came with this nice Hercules Dynamite 128/Video.

Out of curiosity and because a HX board might be good to have what revision of this board is good to get ?

I can find a Rev 1.56 version for a ok price or a Rev 1.53 version with the Cache module slot for a little more .. I do have a few Cache modules in the box.

Not even sure having the Cache slot would be worth having with this board as its never likely to have more than the 48mb the 1.56 board comes with. (Comes with a AMD K5 PR166 and ATI Mach 64 GPU, dont have either in the box yet)

Thoughts ?

Well, the nice thing about the 430HX chipset is that it can cache up to 512 MB of RAM.
If you can use any high end CPU that warrants that amount, different questions.

AFAIK, all the many revisions of the 586HX are rock solid, but vary in features.
There appear to be at least revisions 1.51 through to 1.56 with the 1.54 introducing split voltage for the MMX Pentiums.
https://www.ultimateretro.net/de/motherboards/2739
And there's the rev. 2.01 that had a switching voltage regulator:
http://www.amoretro.de/2012/03/gigabyte-ga-58 … rboard-pci.html
Says there, with updated BIOS, it takes K6-III, but it's not on the Steunebrink page for the + chips.

They all have the 6 PS2 sockets, 4 + 4 slots and that darn RTC module. My last one had it socketed, at least.

Some have coast socket, some don't.

Nothing beyond 66 MHz FSB, but apart from that, maybe the best base for Pentiums.

The rev. 2.01 appears to be pretty rare and I won an auction with 22 € for an 1.52 back in March. It's not rare at all, merely popular.
download/file.php?id=134201&mode=view

I like jumpers.

Reply 44701 of 52337, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I agree. It is the way of the general global economy. The actual pop happened months ago, and the real market is now beginning to catch up (to the downturn).

Prices won't be rock bottom again, but some of the heat is undeniably being deflated out of certain luxury hobby markets (which includes retro computer or gaming device hobbies).

Nobody wants $1000 MT-32's, once the global economic squeeze starts being put upon all and sundry! The trend moves towards consolidation - which means sell-offs.

Reply 44702 of 52337, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2022-05-20, 01:15:
I agree. It is the way of the general global economy. The actual pop happened months ago, and the real market is now beginning t […]
Show full quote

I agree. It is the way of the general global economy. The actual pop happened months ago, and the real market is now beginning to catch up (to the downturn).

Prices won't be rock bottom again, but some of the heat is undeniably being deflated out of certain luxury hobby markets (which includes retro computer or gaming device hobbies).

Nobody wants $1000 MT-32's, once the global economic squeeze starts being put upon all and sundry! The trend moves towards consolidation - which means sell-offs.

The people who pay $1000+ for an MT-32 are probably not the ones who are affected by small dips in the market and economy.

High end equipment might stagnate for a little while as people with financial problems unload equipment cheap to cover bills then back up it will go. These are the people who probably got the stuff cheap ages ago and cash out.

What might drop would be more common affordable stuff.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 44703 of 52337, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this yesterday, a nice hardly used Rage fury maxx. I only found i think two versions of drivers for this card, were there so few updates for this card?

Attachments

Reply 44704 of 52337, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a cool piece. Are you going to display it on a shelf or use it in a PC?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 44706 of 52337, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not exactly a van Gogh but worth at least some hundreds of <insert currency of your choice here>.
To some of us it surely is as appealing as a painter's masterpiece to others 😀
Nice card!

Reply 44709 of 52337, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ChrisK wrote on 2022-05-20, 11:08:

Not exactly a van Gogh but worth at least some hundreds of <insert currency of your choice here>.
To some of us it surely is as appealing as a painter's masterpiece to others 😀
Nice card!

I really do love the look of the Rage PRO Fury MAXX, would love to have one myself but ... good god the prices.

Reply 44710 of 52337, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-05-19, 23:19:

Well, the nice thing about the 430HX chipset is that it can cache up to 512 MB of RAM.

It can, but not all motherboard implementation actually allow it. As far as I know it depends on the type of tag RAM chip used. If it's not the kind that allows the full 512MB then it's still only limited to 64MB cacheable area.

Reply 44712 of 52337, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got an original Hercules card

5YS2Qwm.jpg

and a boxed ISIS soundcard:

247Etoi.jpg

Sadly it is plagued by some hardware? design? bug and it's not always getting detected by the system, seems to be a PnP failure.
I read online about a fix, or later rev. cards that do not have this issue but no real information exists... it is an interesting windows card because of soundfont loading , maybe I will be lucky and find some system that it does not cause this PnP failure

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 44713 of 52337, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought a (ps2) backwards compatible playstation 3. I've wanted one since they came out. It's kind of scratched up and probably not working but I took a leap of fate because it was very cheap and marketed as a playstation 2. They seem kind of hellish to work with but I need a new project.

Reply 44714 of 52337, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-05-21, 07:05:

I got an original Hercules card

That's Hercules Graphics Card Plus, with the RamFont feature.

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 44715 of 52337, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote on 2022-05-21, 07:05:

Sadly it is plagued by some hardware? design? bug and it's not always getting detected by the system, seems to be a PnP failure.

In case the problem is only on Windows, have you tried turning off all hardware acceleration?

Reply 44716 of 52337, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An online store had illuminated case badges for 0,99€, so I got one when I needed to order fans. I'm pretty pleased with this thing.

Attachments

• badge.jpg
    Filename
    badge.jpg
    File size
    207.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by chrismes on 2022-05-21, 15:32. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44717 of 52337, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Added a couple of CPUs to my Core 2 collection today, 1 E8600 and 1 E8400 both for less than 5 bucks also added a really nice SFF Intel D915GAG board with a 3.2ghz P4 on it, not sure what model of P4 (Some 800 FSB version) but not that interested in the CPU but rather the board since its got DDR400 on it, I dont have a 775 board with DDR400 Dual Channel since most if not all I have are DDR2 or DDR3, cost all of 10 bucks for the board and CPU.

Rather cheap little haul and it'll be nice to have another E8600 for binning.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-05-21, 14:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44718 of 52337, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismes wrote on 2022-05-21, 13:33:

An online store had illuminated case badges for 1,49€, so I got one when I needed to order fans. I'm pretty pleased with this thing.

Awesome! Illuminated as in lit by an LED backlight, or fluorescent?

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 44719 of 52337, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
debs3759 wrote on 2022-05-21, 14:42:
chrismes wrote on 2022-05-21, 13:33:

An online store had illuminated case badges for 1,49€, so I got one when I needed to order fans. I'm pretty pleased with this thing.

Awesome! Illuminated as in lit by an LED backlight, or fluorescent?

It's active and comes with a small voltage regulator and a molex connector. There must be an LED somewhere in this thing.

I had to drill a hole in the case, but it was worth it.