VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 540 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today I finally solved a recurring issue with my Threadripper rig ...turns out the memory didn't like running at 3200, its rated for it but the IMC on the 2950x doesnt like these sticks at that speed, dropped them back to 3000 and now I dont get random resets every few hours when loading the ram.

With AMD making Threadripper 5000 OEM only I wonder what people are going to do with their TRX40 boards which are now EOL. ...(They got fucked like X399 Owners did)

Reply 541 of 1021, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For that kind of thing, you have to make a little trestle out of cocktail sticks either end of the DIMM slot which you can rest a BBQ skewer on... that way you can cook hotdogs when you hack the RAM voltage to 3 volts or something to get it stable.

edit: OEM only just means no boxed CPUs really don't it? PPL get hold of tray CPUs all the time.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 542 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-03-11, 04:21:

For that kind of thing, you have to make a little trestle out of cocktail sticks either end of the DIMM slot which you can rest a BBQ skewer on... that way you can cook hotdogs when you hack the RAM voltage to 3 volts or something to get it stable.

edit: OEM only just means no boxed CPUs really don't it? PPL get hold of tray CPUs all the time.

Not this time, they are using the AMD PSB ability to lock the CPUs to the Lenovo platform which is the OEM AMD is using for this round of Threadripper 5000 Pro, there will be no non pro variants. There wont be any trays to hit the market that wont be locked from the factory.

Lenovo is using it for their consumer Ryzen 5000 CPUs as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFNJVaO9E-o&t=563s

Linus looked at it and even non Lenovo Ryzen 5000 CPUs can be locked by their platform should you decide to upgrade one, you can turn it off in the BIOS which prevents the new CPU being locked but once its been locked it cant be undone. I fully expect this ability to turn it off to not even be available on Threadripper 5000 Pro systems since they come preconfigured and locked from the factory. That aside .. TR 5000 Pro is also only compatible with WRX80 boards even if they do decide to release some unlocked versions, TRX40 is EOL after one generation.

I guess they can get away with doing it this way due to Intel have no answer in the HEDT space ..its a damn shame and Sapphire Rapids cant come soon enough.

As for the Dimm voltages .. its DDR4 and I guess I could bump it a little but its not the DDR thats the issue .. its the IMC on the 2950x being shit house and putting more voltage into a TR IMC doesnt do much of anything.

Reply 543 of 1021, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the newly acquired Unicomp keyboard and some of the keys worked, yet the rest did not.

Took it apart and reflowed the board where the PS/2 cable connects to and it's 100% functional.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 544 of 1021, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's only just 'modern' (from 2014) but replaced the CPUs on a couple of my home servers (cluster of 3 ThinkServer RS140 running Nutanix CE) so I get HyperThreading so 4 more cores (ish), plus replaced a Samsung Pro 840 SSD which was extremely laggy (latency was often over 100ms) with pretty much the cheapest SSD on Amazon - a 'Patriot' brand. The cluster works so much better now!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 545 of 1021, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Added some inbound rules on a Sophos firewall, opened a custom port for VPN service. Updated ASDM software on a Cisco and uploaded the latest VPN client software to it. Then updated a few laptops with the latest VPN. Scheduled time to update the firmware on the same ASA.

Reply 546 of 1021, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Migrated from CentOS 7.9 to Debian 11 (Linux distros).

I tried Fedora briefly, but was turned off by some weird stability issues. Debian is mostly fine, but it took a lot more time to get everything to run the way I want. By default, some basic things like auto-mounting an Android phone didn't work. Had to read up a bit on that until I managed to get it fixed. Now that everything is finally set up, Debian 11 runs pretty smoothly on my aging i5 system.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 547 of 1021, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Setup my 2015 iMac as my primary machine for awhile, it's been getting under-utilized, and I intend to run the crud out of it. Plus my Xeon has been messing up with YouTube, I guess they don't support my video card for hardware rendering in OBS studio anymore - so it's making recording videos with a guitar in them a real PITA, plus the Line6 HD500 does not have any supporting drivers for Linux anyway so I had to use the MAC to program it.

Only pain is Apple took out support for 32-bit games so no Witcher/Monter Truck Destruction/Postal 2, and no support for Five Nights at Freddy's period. But I am able to get some good use out of garage band.

Either way, looking to learn more about the Mac ecosystem after getting fairly well acquainted with the Linux ecosystem.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 548 of 1021, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Took the 480GB SSD out of my 10-year-old ASUS X54C Gen 2 i5-2450M/8GB/"HD" 3K and installed it into the Gen 7i7-7700/16GB/GTX1060 gaming laptop (uses both SATA III and nVME 2280, which I'll buy in the future and migrate the OS to that drive).

Installed the necessary drivers and some software and it runs better than the 10-year-old laptop I've used since college.

Reply 549 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is loosely related to a retro activity but does anyone have the hole spacing for the heat sinks on a Voodoo5 5500 ?

Going to change the heatsinks on the one coming and want to buy new heatsinks before it arrives, I have some 40x40 copper heatsinks coming but realised I dont have any way to fix them to the GPU so until I can find some decent thermal epoxy Ill just buy some that can attach via the holes in the GPU.

Reply 550 of 1021, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Spent last night watching movies with the wife and playing more stupid AdItUp games....just some thoughts on them....and AdItUp (silly paywall thing that helps you save on your bill) about 1-2 years later. Basically, the same 4-5 games for 350 points each to be playing when they used to pay out 1000+ after every 20 minutes.

AdItUp used to be great but I'm not so hot on it anymore. I'm not 13, I'm not spending 2 1/2 hours on Traffic Puzzle just to get 250 pts or $0.03 off my Cricket bill. At least Survival is farming in some worthwhile points for now. Angry Birds 2 sucks. There's some Words with Friends type Candy Rush whatever it is thing that has a paywall, and some Dice Game that's boring. So I might be dumping most of those, keeping Survival, and maybe try out the new offer wall they have and see if there's something better. When I see advertising for it - I know the good points payout is all over.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 551 of 1021, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Fixed the backlit keyboard issue by removing the old ATK drivers and installed the correct one on my ASUS FX502VM-AS73. Well, that and only the volume controls were working when the others did not work.

Reply 552 of 1021, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-03-11, 04:06:

Today I finally solved a recurring issue with my Threadripper rig ...turns out the memory didn't like running at 3200, its rated for it but the IMC on the 2950x doesnt like these sticks at that speed, dropped them back to 3000 and now I dont get random resets every few hours when loading the ram.

With AMD making Threadripper 5000 OEM only I wonder what people are going to do with their TRX40 boards which are now EOL. ...(They got fucked like X399 Owners did)

AMD these days seem to get very sensitive to EMI pollution my A10 system looses ability to talk to 32gb of ram and can only use 8 when theres electrical disturbances like tremors and electrical storms. Also you may get better scores mixing high speed and mid speed modules on the system this is called tuning where individual or pairs of dimms can be different speeds on the same system sometimes gaining much better real world scores some even the best on the planet.

Reply 553 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zapbuzz wrote on 2022-05-20, 08:52:

AMD these days seem to get very sensitive to EMI pollution my A10 system looses ability to talk to 32gb of ram and can only use 8 when theres electrical disturbances like tremors and electrical storms. Also you may get better scores mixing high speed and mid speed modules on the system this is called tuning where individual or pairs of dimms can be different speeds on the same system sometimes gaining much better real world scores some even the best on the planet.

Have spent a bit of time messing around with the DDR4 modules I have here and mixing the ram speeds on this TR system results in BIOS resets or ram speeds hard locked to 2400 and no amount of manual tweaking will get it to accept anything else (Causes the bios to reset itself), not sure if its due to the board itself or the IMC just being horrible. Running the last BIOS update for this board too which did help with DDR4 speeds but still no bueno with 3200 in Quad channel mode with 8 sticks, with 4 it will do 3200 but anything hitting the ram hard will force a system reset or BSOD/CTD.

You mention EMI and the 2080ti is pretty much next to the ram slots on this board, most resets actually occur when the GPU kicks in for gaming so perhaps the 2080ti is causing instabilities with one of the 8 ram modules, its a huge ass card and one of the few 2080tis with three 8 pin connectors so its current draw is rather high. (I would suspect the PSU but its a Seasonic Titanium Prime 1000w so a pretty much bullet proof PSU, its not the 2080ti itself as its is perfectly fine with ram at 3000Mt/s)

The board is a MSI Godlike X399 so it shouldn't have any issue with DDR4 speeds 3200 and above so I suspect I got unlucky with a bad IMC on this 2950x, it runs 100% stable at 3000 with 8 sticks so I will use it like this, the system is EOL so this is as good as it will ever get. (Have tried bumping IMC voltage and that actually made things worse with random resets)

Reply 554 of 1021, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-20, 10:12:
Have spent a bit of time messing around with the DDR4 modules I have here and mixing the ram speeds on this TR system results in […]
Show full quote

Have spent a bit of time messing around with the DDR4 modules I have here and mixing the ram speeds on this TR system results in BIOS resets or ram speeds hard locked to 2400 and no amount of manual tweaking will get it to accept anything else (Causes the bios to reset itself), not sure if its due to the board itself or the IMC just being horrible. Running the last BIOS update for this board too which did help with DDR4 speeds but still no bueno with 3200 in Quad channel mode with 8 sticks, with 4 it will do 3200 but anything hitting the ram hard will force a system reset or BSOD/CTD.

You mention EMI and the 2080ti is pretty much next to the ram slots on this board, most resets actually occur when the GPU kicks in for gaming so perhaps the 2080ti is causing instabilities with one of the 8 ram modules, its a huge ass card and one of the few 2080tis with three 8 pin connectors so its current draw is rather high. (I would suspect the PSU but its a Seasonic Titanium Prime 1000w so a pretty much bullet proof PSU, its not the 2080ti itself as its is perfectly fine with ram at 3000Mt/s)

The board is a MSI Godlike X399 so it shouldn't have any issue with DDR4 speeds 3200 and above so I suspect I got unlucky with a bad IMC on this 2950x, it runs 100% stable at 3000 with 8 sticks so I will use it like this, the system is EOL so this is as good as it will ever get. (Have tried bumping IMC voltage and that actually made things worse with random resets)

That sure sounds like your PSU is tripping it's ocp and going into protection mode. Have you checked your rail voltages under load to make sure your not sagging ? For a system like that I'd personally run something I'd the 1200-1600 watt range just to make sure I'd have a good amount of over head margin.

Reply 555 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-20, 11:32:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-20, 10:12:
Have spent a bit of time messing around with the DDR4 modules I have here and mixing the ram speeds on this TR system results in […]
Show full quote

That sure sounds like your PSU is tripping it's ocp and going into protection mode. Have you checked your rail voltages under load to make sure your not sagging ? For a system like that I'd personally run something I'd the 1200-1600 watt range just to make sure I'd have a good amount of over head margin.

Used to do the same thing with a AXi 1600, PSU has been ruled out as the same PSU and GPU work just fine in the 10980xe rendering rig, putting a 2080 Super in this TR machine doesnt stop the restarts, only lowering the ram speed fixes it, swapping the sticks to Corsair 3600 @3200 doesnt resolve it either. So right now the only thing that is common is the 3200 ram speed, since its a Zen+ IMC 3200 quad channel would be pushing it hard and my TR simply lost the IMC lottery.

The Prime Titanium 1000watt PSU from Seasonic is a tank PSU, its rated for 1000watts but will happily deliver 1400 watts, its one of the reasons I switched to it from the AXi, if it was tripping OCP the machine would simply turn off it just reboots, and occasionally resets the BIOS. Always happy to consider OCP issues with the new GPUs being power whores and I did initially think thats what may have been the cause but the PSU passes its tests with flying colours, honestly have never had any kind of issues with Seasonic PSUs. (Corsair is a different story and I have a AXi 1200 with the OCP bug that they wont replace)

Heck the board could be the cause and have some gremlins with memory speeds and topology.

Last edited by TrashPanda on 2022-05-20, 12:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 556 of 1021, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If that's the case then yeah I'd agree your memory controller isn't happy at 3200 but 3000 is still a good speed and being quad channel will still have a good amount of memory bandwidth.

Reply 557 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-20, 12:11:

If that's the case then yeah I'd agree your memory controller isn't happy at 3200 but 3000 is still a good speed and being quad channel will still have a good amount of memory bandwidth.

I'm not complaining really, its a great CPU for what I force it to do, I have yet to actually find a program that I use that can cap out the memory bandwidth of it, I will be a little sad when I have to sell it.

Reply 558 of 1021, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Threadripper is a great cpu as well as mainstream Ryzen CPUs. It's a real shame that the new threadrippers aren't going to be sold outside of SI's. The 7000 series Ryzen line is looking good definitely excited to see how they perform.

Reply 559 of 1021, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-20, 12:24:

Threadripper is a great cpu as well as mainstream Ryzen CPUs. It's a real shame that the new threadrippers aren't going to be sold outside of SI's. The 7000 series Ryzen line is looking good definitely excited to see how they perform.

I think its a decision that they will likely reverse once the silicon and component shortage resolves itself, there are a lot of unhappy TR users that have zero desire to deal with Lenovo bullshit or being locked into one vendor.

Till then we do have the new 16 core AM5 CPUs which will be more than most people will ever need or be able to use, DDR5 alone will help a lot with consumer platform memory bandwidth issues, if you need more than 16 cores then Intel should have Sapphire Rapids out soon or you could grab a cheap 64 core 3000 series.

Im rather excited to see what Intel has instore with Sapphire Rapids HEDT (Forgot what they call it now), the 10980xe render rig could use a refresh 🤣