VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am looking for a free and open-source (or at least free) advanced hex tool. Currently I want to compare multiple files and differentiate between them and I might need more advanced features later, so what tool should I use.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 1 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I don't what you are asking about advanced features beyond just viewing or editing. So I will answer about some commands you can use that are free and open source that are readily available in the linux environment, and you can probably find for other systems.

For quickly viewing a file in hex, you can use the hexdump command.

For comparing two files, you can use the diff command. You can run hexdump on the two files and save the output and run diff on the hex output to visually see where differences occur.

For editing and comparing at the same time, you can use the various vi editors in hex mode, split screen. vim has a diff mode as well, although I don't think I have run a vimdiff in hex mode for editing and comparing purposes simultaneously. I usually just run on the command line for comparisons and more rarely go into an editor to change some numbers.

I think you need to explain what you want to do if you want a more specific program.

Reply 2 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For now as I mentioned I would like to compare files. Hopefully what you mentioned has a Windows equivalent because it becomes difficult to access good internet to download stuff at my workplace.

Reply 5 of 6, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-05-19, 21:15:

For now as I mentioned I would like to compare files. Hopefully what you mentioned has a Windows equivalent because it becomes difficult to access good internet to download stuff at my workplace.

VBinDiff, like others have said, is a good choice. I always use that to compare binaries and it has both Windows and Linux versions.

Use ENTER (or SPACE) in VBinDiff to quickly seek to the next different part (marked in red). If the files were outright identical it'll seek to the end of the files with no red text.

Reply 6 of 6, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks for the help. VBinDiff helped me for the task I wanted and it was successful in finding the difference I was looking for.