VOGONS

Reply 21 of 24, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KPX(KingPin Extreme) works really well And stays wet for a long time. AS5 ,mx-4 both work well. What application are you going to be using the thermal compound in?

Reply 22 of 24, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-05-20, 20:43:

KPX(KingPin Extreme) works really well And stays wet for a long time. AS5 ,mx-4 both work well. What application are you going to be using the thermal compound in?

I'm guessing the modded K6-2+ chips 😋

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Absolutely true. AS5's manual says AS5 paste is electrically conductive due to silver bearing powder. I had one issue that caused a false BLOD on one PS4 console that I serviced about a year previously, due to AS5 spilled onto electronic components, like I said confirmed due to that manual warnings I read in the package of AS5 years ago and remembered that. Cleaned PS4 board up and reapplied using MX5 cleared up the issue.

I work with consoles (usually PS4 of all models including Pro) and Xbox one, S and X, and Xbox series for any issues: hard drive replacements, HDMI port replacement and sometimes simple cleaning. All of them were taken apart completely and cleaned, heatsink light lapped with block of metal and 600 grit sandpaper and reassembled with mentioned heatsink paste types I use previously.
Cleaning procedure: take apart completely during repair, clean off old paste, brush off dust and blown off with rechargeable hurricane blower (black one), lap the heatsink, clean again and use paste listed above, reassemble. The PS4 optical drives is also taken apart, rollers taken out and cleaned using 50:50 water/99 % alcohol to stop the slipping on discs. Reposition the thermal pads on ram ICs as well.

https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1639272.pdf

Capacitive issue is partially true but this PS4's case was electrical shorts due to excess AS5 spilled onto bare electrical components. APU package used in both Xbox one and PS4 have solder connections of capacitor arrays is about .5mm apart and can get bridged with this which did happen.

I'm coming up to 4 years mark this Sept 2022 at my current work and I worked with computers including notebooks for nearly 30 years now.

Prior to this, was TV consumer and monitor repair for few years before one store "consumer depot" business closed up, and I did work for few computer stores way before that. Had some college courses in electronics techanical stuff.

Check out the facebook repair groups by the way.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 24 of 24, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

PS5 consoles uses liquid alloy TIM and foam and silicone seal to contain the liquid TIM and keep oxygen out, reusable as long as kept clean during repair.

But major issues with liquid alloy TIM is it is oxygen and non-ferrous corrosive. Rapidly. Need a way to have air-tight seal to keep oxygen out and liquid TIM and some extra in. I experimented with liquid TIM years prior and results was disastrous due to lack of seal and heatsink not plated with nickel. Turned solid with strong bond between non-plated heatsink and silicon die. Nearly broke the die when removed with hard effort, lets go with a pop. I now refuse to use liquid alloy TIM.

Non-ferrous metal includes aluminum, copper, tin, lead etc some corrodes fast especially tin and lead and aluminum. PS: by the way liquid repair (water based spills or fell into) corrodes in seconds due to dielectric corrosion because electronics was powered. To repair them, I had to remove electronic parts, clean off and resolder parts back on. Sometimes blown. Ceramic capacitors end caps do corrode away exposing layers and short out. Even eaten away.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.