VOGONS

Reply 360 of 420, by MadLynx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-19, 15:23:

Does anyone have the exact file names of the MT-32 roms that need to be loaded into McCake?

MT-32PI Wiki wrote:

The file names or extensions of the ROMs don't matter and will have no effect on the ROM scanner; mt32-pi will scan and detect their types automatically using the SHA-1 hash of the file.

Just read the manual: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wiki/MT-32-synthesis

Reply 361 of 420, by cheezwiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MadLynx wrote on 2022-05-19, 16:44:
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-19, 15:23:

Does anyone have the exact file names of the MT-32 roms that need to be loaded into McCake?

MT-32PI Wiki wrote:

The file names or extensions of the ROMs don't matter and will have no effect on the ROM scanner; mt32-pi will scan and detect their types automatically using the SHA-1 hash of the file.

Just read the manual: https://github.com/dwhinham/mt32-pi/wiki/MT-32-synthesis

Thank you!

Reply 362 of 420, by cheezwiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it working - Awesome stuff @dreamblaster!

Do I need to worry about any Sierra games that say they are going to write to the MT-32?

Also, Wing Commander 1 hangs at launch with MT-32 and Ultima 6 does as well. 7th Guest works perfectly along with Hocus Pocus. Is there a thread/place that is better for these per game troubleshooting/discussions? Also, I see that MPU-401 intelligent mode is required for a lot of DOS games. I can't find any reference on how to enable/disable that for pi/McCake. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I got these titles working with SOFTMPU. Thanks for all the help thus far!

Reply 363 of 420, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-19, 18:00:

Do I need to worry about any Sierra games that say they are going to write to the MT-32?

Also, Wing Commander 1 hangs at launch with MT-32 and Ultima 6 does as well. 7th Guest works perfectly along with Hocus Pocus. Is there a thread/place that is better for these per game troubleshooting/discussions? Also, I see that MPU-401 intelligent mode is required for a lot of DOS games. I can't find any reference on how to enable/disable that for pi/McCake. Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: I got these titles working with SOFTMPU. Thanks for all the help thus far!

No worry about sierra games.
Yes SOFT MPU is the way to go.

Here's a new demo, a beauty from Silpheed : Battle over the moon on McCake : https://youtu.be/s1c9tJaXVkY

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 364 of 420, by cheezwiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dreamblaster wrote on 2022-05-20, 21:04:
No worry about sierra games. Yes SOFT MPU is the way to go. […]
Show full quote
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-19, 18:00:

No worry about sierra games.
Yes SOFT MPU is the way to go.

Here's a new demo, a beauty from Silpheed : Battle over the moon on McCake : https://youtu.be/s1c9tJaXVkY

Awesome stuff! Quick, followup as well on a games like Heretic, is it best to use General Midi or Sound Canvas on the McCake? Also, which sound mode would I use there? Sorry for all the questions, I only had Adlib and SB Pro cards growing up!

Reply 365 of 420, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-21, 22:34:

Awesome stuff! Quick, followup as well on a games like Heretic, is it best to use General Midi or Sound Canvas on the McCake? Also, which sound mode would I use there? Sorry for all the questions, I only had Adlib and SB Pro cards growing up!

General MIDI, which soundfont is up to you.

I'm not sure what you mean by sound mode. Games will generally have a settings for sound effects where you'd pick sound blaster, sound blaster 16, etc. And then a separate setting for music where you'd pick adlib/sound blaster, MIDI, etc.

Reply 366 of 420, by cheezwiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-21, 23:43:

I'm not sure what you mean by sound mode. Games will generally have a settings for sound effects where you'd pick sound blaster, sound blaster 16, etc. And then a separate setting for music where you'd pick adlib/sound blaster, MIDI, etc.

Thanks for the help. What I mean is for games, like Heretic, where there is no MT-32 option, sometimes there is a General Midi or Sound Canvas choice for music. Which one is better in general? Then, on the McCake 5 1/4 panel, there is a "S" button that switches between Soundfont and MT-32 mode. So, when picking General Midi or Sound Canvas in a game for music that doesn't have MT-32 as a music device option, do I still put it in MT-32 mode? Sorry, this is all a bit new to me.

Reply 367 of 420, by heckyeah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cheezwiz wrote on 2022-05-22, 00:50:
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-21, 23:43:

Thanks for the help. What I mean is for games, like Heretic, where there is no MT-32 option, sometimes there is a General Midi or Sound Canvas choice for music. Which one is better in general? Then, on the McCake 5 1/4 panel, there is a "S" button that switches between Soundfont and MT-32 mode. So, when picking General Midi or Sound Canvas in a game for music that doesn't have MT-32 as a music device option, do I still put it in MT-32 mode? Sorry, this is all a bit new to me.

Same mode. It's just to minimize confusion for people who know they have a Sound Canvas but might not realize it's General Midi compatible. As far as I know ID game soundtracks are synth agnostic and use same midi for both.

Reply 368 of 420, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
heckyeah wrote on 2022-05-22, 09:21:

Same mode. It's just to minimize confusion for people who know they have a Sound Canvas but might not realize it's General Midi compatible. As far as I know ID game soundtracks are synth agnostic and use same midi for both.

It's possible some games could have a Roland GS mix that's different from the GM version. But ya, for the majority it would be the same thing. There were even some early Roland modules that didn't have GM support, I'm not sure if any games targetted those, but time-wise I'd wager those like could also have an MT-32 option.

With the WP32 McCake you'll want to choose the General MIDI option.

Reply 369 of 420, by cheezwiz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SScorpio wrote on 2022-05-22, 13:23:
heckyeah wrote on 2022-05-22, 09:21:

It's possible some games could have a Roland GS mix that's different from the GM version. But ya, for the majority it would be the same thing. There were even some early Roland modules that didn't have GM support, I'm not sure if any games targetted those, but time-wise I'd wager those like could also have an MT-32 option.

With the WP32 McCake you'll want to choose the General MIDI option.

Excellent! Is the McCake compatible with Roland GS/Canvas? That is where it all gets a bit muddy with game support for me between MT-32/GM/Roland variants. I know the McCake can do full GM and MT-32 but not sure on the other Roland options for games.

Reply 373 of 420, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-05-23, 15:20:
RetroGamer4Ever wrote on 2022-05-22, 15:59:

The McCake can't do GS. The X2GS can.

what about the "old" Dreamblaster X2? Is it GS or GM only?

It is GM, unless you manage to load the Dream GS bank, which makes it the X2GS.

Reply 374 of 420, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

here's another short demo : Space Quest III - Monolith Burger (MT32) : https://youtu.be/auyFxfwr_QU

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 376 of 420, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DieKatzchen wrote on 2022-05-28, 16:33:

I managed to get my hands on a minimum spec CM4. Will it be enough?

if by minimum you mean the 1GB RAM version then yes - it is more than enough 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 377 of 420, by DieKatzchen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote on 2022-05-28, 17:37:

if by minimum you mean the 1GB RAM version then yes - it is more than enough 😀

1GB RAM, No eMMC, no WiFi... the absolute minimum features. This is great news, because I ALSO got my hands on a 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC, WiFi one too... and I felt that that would be overkill. It will serve me better elsewhere. Man, these things are like hen's teeth. I only managed to get these because I was plain lucky.

Reply 378 of 420, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yeah mine is also like this, no wifi no emmc , 1GB
so no issues ! and indeed they are hard and expensive to get now...
all this chip shortage thing is annoying and I cannot really see an end to it soon... I am sure it will extend to 2023 as well 🙁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 379 of 420, by DieKatzchen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A bit of advice for anyone else looking for one, most of the reputable resellers will have a stock notification system. There are ways to have your phone play an alert if an email comes from specific senders. I also watched rpilocator.com like a hawk

Note that most of the aforementioned reputable resellers will limit one per customer, so this advice is only helpful for people who only want ONE. Sorry, Keropi.