Common searches

Reply 520 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-21, 11:25:
Joakim wrote on 2022-05-21, 07:20:

Most enthusiasts are just being too particular and want to buy cheap rare hardware online instead of looking at garage sales and things like that. With patience you can still find cool retro hardware.

Thing is, that you can build an ok DOS machine from a pentium 4 and a DOS compatible PCI sound card for a total <50$, no problem. And that machine is usable, but not a collectible (yet).

There is a reason why I have a huge Socket 775/771 collection, a can see a few years from now it'll be all the rage in the retro arena and I wont have to buy any of it.

How much is huge? 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 521 of 1005, by libby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a reason why I have a huge Socket 775/771 collection, a can see a few years from now it'll be all the rage in the retro arena and I wont have to buy any of it.

anything that was absolute top end on release and is over about 12 years old is at a bottom now and will slowly start to rise in price and scarcity. particular items are dual GPU video cards (9800 GX2, radeon HD 7970 X2), high end motherboards (intel skulltrail, EVGA classified, DFI lanparty), extreme edition CPUs, highest end CPU in a socket (phenom II X6), etc

also, very oddball esoteric enthusiast items which were only briefly released or sold poorly, like ASROCK's AM2CPU upgrade board for their socket 939 boards.

FOlBu9wXsAIoQoa.jpg
Filename
FOlBu9wXsAIoQoa.jpg
File size
253.49 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
FOlCg4CXMAwSh-n.jpg
Filename
FOlCg4CXMAwSh-n.jpg
File size
169.83 KiB
Views
File license

good luck finding one of these, for instance, an LGA775 motherboard with an "upgrade" card that... gave you a socket 939 and different chipset

Reply 522 of 1005, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Probably around 10-15 years ago someone realized our current retro nerd juice was going to rise in value and bought up voodoos and socket 7s when most of us were drooling over an iPhone 1.

Oh and yeah in a few years an iPhone 1 will be extremely expensive, so when your kids cry about not finding perfect hardware for a dime to play flappy bird or what ever show them this post. 😉

Reply 523 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-21, 19:33:

Most enthusiasts are just being too particular and want to buy cheap rare hardware online instead of looking at garage sales and things like that. With patience you can still find cool retro hardware.

Thing is, that you can build an ok DOS machine from a pentium 4 and a DOS compatible PCI sound card for a total <50$, no problem. And that machine is usable, but not a collectible (yet).

How much is huge? 😜

Well its huge for me but I suspect you may have me beat 🤣

Still I have 28 or so 775 boards and I stopped counting the CPUs, I guess the rarest board I have is the PWM Digital EVGA 790i Ultra SLI but I also have a Blackops Foxconn board that still confuses me with its bios, it was clearly built for LN2 overclocking so its got enough options to keep a ADHD child quiet for several weeks. (Ive just started buying P4 775 cpus and boards so 95% of my hoard is core2/quad stuff) I guess my favourites are the Asrock dual boards that have both AGP and PCIe, they are not amazing "WoW" like the Rampage boards but they are just fun as hell to work with, even have a couple of odd boards that have the SLI/Xfire switching board .. they never work right. Even have a very late Gigabyte 775 board that has native USB3, its a very solid p45 board that I wish I had a use for, might be a great board to throw a 4870X2 into with a X-Fi but I dont need another 775 gaming box 🤣.

The core2 era was pretty crazy with some of the weird things fabs did with their boards, it was a fun time and makes for some great collecting.

But I dont have anything crazy rare like that board Libby has in the post above, tho I dont collect AMD stuff so I wouldn't have been looking for it. (>> doesnt mean I dont want one now)

What I would love to have is a complete Skulltrail setup, I have a Skulltrail board but the CPUs for it are still shockingly expensive so its one of them "Ron" builds for when I run out of cheaper items to buy.

Reply 524 of 1005, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

for some of us buying online is the only feasible possibility though

Reply 525 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2022-05-22, 03:24:

Where I live .. there are no flea markets or swap meets so online for me is how I get 99% of my stuff, I get why some here dont like eBay but there is no denying how damn convenient it is when you have no other option.

Reply 526 of 1005, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-22, 03:48:

Where I live .. there are no flea markets or swap meets so online for me is how I get 99% of my stuff, I get why some here dont like eBay but there is no denying how damn convenient it is when you have no other option.

Yep, I'm familiar with this considering that the local market in several countries really suck when old computer hardware is concerned.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 527 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-05-22, 04:01:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-22, 03:48:

Yep, I'm familiar with this considering that the local market in several countries really suck when old computer hardware is concerned.

We used to have a Sunday market but Covid pretty much killed it and its now just a shadow of what it was and only held once a month now. It was never great for retro PC stuff but I did usually find one or two bits of retro gear there worth grabbing.

Reply 528 of 1005, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheMobRules wrote on 2022-05-19, 02:34:

I think zyzzle is talking specifically about scalpers, who usually have enough money to buy all the stock they can find of a certain product until it's not available anywhere else and then they resell it at overinflated prices. So I definitely sympathize with him on that, since these scumbags are not there trying to "put food on the table", they don't add any value and do nothing but disrupt the market. And I bet those are the ones that have all their listings sponsored so eBay bombards you with them and they can also afford to hold on to an item for extended periods of time, relisting it indefinitely at a ridiculous price until some desperate dumbass pays $300 for their "Retro Vintage Generic IDE Controller".

A completely different situation is someone that has a few old components and sells them to make some money to pay the bills, or someone that saves stuff from being recycled and puts the effort to research about the items, and maybe even repairing/refurbishing before selling them.

In any case, I don't really understand what constitutes a "collectable item" these days. Take that sound card from feipoa's post: what's collectable about that? Just seems like a generic-ass card that could be useful on a retro build. But for collecting/displaying? I don't really understand what's unique about it to command a premium price.

Heh. The Yamaha YMF7x4 cards were going for around $30-40 for the bare cards until I found a recycler with over 1,000 of them NIB and I bought them and started selling them on eBay for less. Then after I ran out, the prices started going back up and are right back where that were before I started selling them.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 529 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-22, 02:31:
Well its huge for me but I suspect you may have me beat XD […]
Show full quote

How much is huge? 😜

Still I have 28 or so 775 boards and I stopped counting the CPUs, I guess the rarest board I have is the PWM Digital EVGA 790i Ultra SLI but I also have a Blackops Foxconn board that still confuses me with its bios, it was clearly built for LN2 overclocking so its got enough options to keep a ADHD child quiet for several weeks. (Ive just started buying P4 775 cpus and boards so 95% of my hoard is core2/quad stuff) I guess my favourites are the Asrock dual boards that have both AGP and PCIe, they are not amazing "WoW" like the Rampage boards but they are just fun as hell to work with, even have a couple of odd boards that have the SLI/Xfire switching board .. they never work right. Even have a very late Gigabyte 775 board that has native USB3, its a very solid p45 board that I wish I had a use for, might be a great board to throw a 4870X2 into with a X-Fi but I dont need another 775 gaming box 🤣.

The core2 era was pretty crazy with some of the weird things fabs did with their boards, it was a fun time and makes for some great collecting.

But I dont have anything crazy rare like that board Libby has in the post above, tho I dont collect AMD stuff so I wouldn't have been looking for it. (>> doesnt mean I dont want one now)

What I would love to have is a complete Skulltrail setup, I have a Skulltrail board but the CPUs for it are still shockingly expensive so its one of them "Ron" builds for when I run out of cheaper items to buy.

Definitely not 🤣
I'd be surprised if I had even 5 LGA775 boards. I may have if I include the 3 LGA775 boards I got recently (and 2 of those don't even support Core2).
I'm actually pretty sure I don't even have 5 Core2 CPUs.

The majority of the boards I have is the older stuff (pre s423) and the newer stuff that I actually did collect (though also in low numbers, that being single digits) tended to be mostly AMD stuff.

I basically skipped core2 back in the day. I only collect small numbers of things these days and mostly just the items I happen to find locally.

Core2 is definitely one of the more interesting eras 🙂
I can't say I'm much of a fan of the Intel stuff made after LGA775 though. It's basically making variations of the same stuff and socket hop multiple times so I'd end up with multiple generations of mutually incompatible hardware with very similar...almost everything actually. LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155 and LGA1156 is imo mostly more of a hurdle to get a somewhat capable collection without needing to collect at least like 5 different generations of spare parts.
It's something of a shame though. I kinda like the platform othewise. But I don't feel like having to keep spare parts for all of these sockethopped platforms just to keep my rigs running.

Report spammers here!

Reply 530 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-22, 23:00:
Definitely not lol I'd be surprised if I had even 5 LGA775 boards. I may have if I include the 3 LGA775 boards I got recently (a […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

How much is huge? 😜

Definitely not 🤣
I'd be surprised if I had even 5 LGA775 boards. I may have if I include the 3 LGA775 boards I got recently (and 2 of those don't even support Core2).

The majority of the boards I have is the older stuff (pre s423) and the newer stuff that I actually did collect (though also in low numbers, that being single digits) tended to be mostly AMD stuff.

I basically skipped core2 back in the day. I only collect small numbers of things these days and mostly just the items I happen to find locally.

I can't say I'm much of a fan of the Intel stuff made after LGA775 though. It's basically making variations of the same stuff and socket hop multiple times so I'd end up with multiple generations of mutually incompatible hardware with very similar...almost everything actually. LGA1150, LGA1151, LGA1155 and LGA1156 is imo mostly more of a hurdle to get a somewhat capable collection without needing to collect at least like 5 different generations of spare parts.
It's something of a shame though. I kinda like the platform othewise. But I don't feel like having to keep spare parts for all of these sockethopped platforms just to keep my rigs running.

LGA 1366 would be as new as I go for collecting and honestly I only want one solid X58 board and a 980x and I would be more than happy leaving it at that.

775/771 lasted a very long time socket wise so fabs had a lot of time to try out whacky stuff with the platform (Like that socket 939 add on card) and some of the coolest CPU cooler designs ever were made for it . .ram coolers too (Thermaltake and Zalmann were ballin with the weird coolers). Even the board fabs got into it with MSI making some seriously out there chipset cooling, all in copper too, Gigabyte was another with massive chipset cooling. (I will find a X48 Extreme one day).

I figure us collectors all have one specific era we just love collecting bits for and mine is 775, though if I let it X58 might get close too as fabs still did some crazy stuff with the boards like EVGA with its dual socket triple SLI board, it could do 4 way SLI with the right cards and support X-Fire too. (Classified SR-2, such a glorious board too, yup I know it was actually a server chipset running it and not X58)

SR2.jpg
Filename
SR2.jpg
File size
125.77 KiB
Views
File comment
EVGA Classified Super Record 2
File license

Just look at that board.

Reply 531 of 1005, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think zyzzle is talking specifically about scalpers, who usually have enough money to buy all the stock they can find of a certain product until it's not available anywhere else and then they resell it at overinflated prices. So I definitely sympathize with him on that, since these scumbags are not there trying to "put food on the table", they don't add any value and do nothing but disrupt the market. And I bet those are the ones that have all their listings sponsored so eBay bombards you with them and they can also afford to hold on to an item for extended periods of time, relisting it indefinitely at a ridiculous price until some desperate dumbass pays $300 for their "Retro Vintage Generic IDE Controller".

when someone does buy it for $300 then it kind of proves the 'value' though, is it disruption? isn't all demand and supply 'disruption' really? we just don't like it when someone has more money than we have (or are just quicker, more aware of how to get at the stuff) to buy up rare items and then sells them (slowly) to people who have more money to buy them than we have

An example is sports or concert tickets, the best known scalper fields. It sure feels wrong, but if all the $40 tickets would actually have sold for between $80 and $800 then it means the original seller prices them imperfectly - i'm glad they do for the lucky ones who manage to click fast enough to get one for their own use - but if the original seller prices them all for double there wouldn't be as much scalping and yet there would, in the end, be as many concert goers

it all feels a bit unpleasant, but it is the same kind of supply/demand dynamic that results in the prices of bread, box of nails, plywood and computer parts

online just means a seller can wait on a global market to compete for their rare parts

In any case, I don't really understand what constitutes a "collectable item" these days. Take that sound card from feipoa's post: what's collectable about that? Just seems like a generic-ass card that could be useful on a retro build. But for collecting/displaying? I don't really understand what's unique about it to command a premium price.

i agree! a lot of 'collectibles' seems decidedly non special to me, and i wonder if within the very small vintage parts market there will be mini burst bubbles as some ordinary stuff is seen for what it is

TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-22, 04:14:

We used to have a Sunday market but Covid pretty much killed it and its now just a shadow of what it was and only held once a month now. It was never great for retro PC stuff but I did usually find one or two bits of retro gear there worth grabbing.

in generic yard/flea/sunday type markets its rare to find this stuff but often the best prices, the more specialised the market the more knowledge and competition to drive prices up

Reply 532 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2022-05-23, 08:14:
when someone does buy it for $300 then it kind of proves the 'value' though, is it disruption? isn't all demand and supply 'di […]
Show full quote

when someone does buy it for $300 then it kind of proves the 'value' though, is it disruption? isn't all demand and supply 'disruption' really? we just don't like it when someone has more money than we have (or are just quicker, more aware of how to get at the stuff) to buy up rare items and then sells them (slowly) to people who have more money to buy them than we have

An example is sports or concert tickets, the best known scalper fields. It sure feels wrong, but if all the $40 tickets would actually have sold for between $80 and $800 then it means the original seller prices them imperfectly - i'm glad they do for the lucky ones who manage to click fast enough to get one for their own use - but if the original seller prices them all for double there wouldn't be as much scalping and yet there would, in the end, be as many concert goers

it all feels a bit unpleasant, but it is the same kind of supply/demand dynamic that results in the prices of bread, box of nails, plywood and computer parts

online just means a seller can wait on a global market to compete for their rare parts

Still doesn't change the fact they don't add any actual value and do nothing but disrupt the market.
I can't think of a single way in which this is actually a positive influence.
And for some it may feel like it's just a bit unpleasant but for some it may be like as if you're going to the supermarket and put your stuff on the conveyerbelt thingy but instead of the cashiere taking the items from you, someone else picks them up, then hands them to the cashiere and pays for it, then asks you to pay 5-fold what the value is of the items in the supermarket.
Since these people often scoop up large amounts of items, this alone artificially creates a scarcity that might not have even existed if this person wasn't trying to squeeze in as some kind of parasitic middleman between a producer and consumer. I mean it's not a transporter, it's not a producer buying items and using these for an own product. They scoop up and try to manipulate a market. Any market! They might not even care what they are selling as long as they can parasitize off of it somehow.

It's also not about supply and demand, it's about manipulating both supply and demand to squeeze out producers and consumers by jamming themselves between the door. It's as fruitful as a gang of local mobsters asking the locals for 'protection payment'.

I think it's hard to argue that these people, these artificial middlemen, serve no real purpose. Not an actual one at least. It's more or less just a form of parasitism and I think this critisism is a fair and correct point.

Of course, it's not practical to actually combat this, though in some cases this is tried like with the Dutch housing market atm where these people are mass-purchasing housing right after it's been completed so they can rent it at inflated prices. Do they produce anything? No. Is it helping alleviate something? No. Can one live without a house? According to our current leadership we clearly can. Just don't move out of your parents house or just buy a house at (of course) inflated price.
The last few years there has been more voices wanting to make living in the house you buy obligatory. This would of course go against the freedom of the individual but atm it's one of the few ways these parasites can be fought against with some level of succes.

Your example, there's also a push against these parasites by for instance not selling more than 1 or 2 tickets per person so these people can't scoop up hundreds or thousands of tickets all at once. It won't outright delete this but at least it keeps it somewhat managable. Just like horses rolling in the dirt try combating their parasites. It will never cure it, but at least it's something.

Scalping in a market that's less essential to a persons need doesn't make it right. If there's too much parasitism it could even outright kill its market. The parasites wouldn't care much, for them it would probably be just the next inflated pyramid balloon construction tumbling down and they will move on or perhaps in some cases go bankrupth, leaving the once healthy and thriving market in shambles and in smoke (and probably half or completely dead).

Their function isn't to put bread on the table, it's about greed. Pure greed.
Sure, hobbies aren't as essential to our wellbeing as housing and food are (but wellbeing by itself is essential), and I don't see these people leaving the retro computing market like ever? Or at least for the forseeable future. It's just the way it is atm and tbh I wouldn't really know what could be done about this in our particular niche market.

Report spammers here!

Reply 533 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-22, 23:51:
LGA 1366 would be as new as I go for collecting and honestly I only want one solid X58 board and a 980x and I would be more than […]
Show full quote
Definitely not lol I'd be surprised if I had even 5 LGA775 boards. I may have if I include the 3 LGA775 boards I got recently (a […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Definitely not 🤣

LGA 1366 would be as new as I go for collecting and honestly I only want one solid X58 board and a 980x and I would be more than happy leaving it at that.

775/771 lasted a very long time socket wise so fabs had a lot of time to try out whacky stuff with the platform (Like that socket 939 add on card) and some of the coolest CPU cooler designs ever were made for it . .ram coolers too (Thermaltake and Zalmann were ballin with the weird coolers). Even the board fabs got into it with MSI making some seriously out there chipset cooling, all in copper too, Gigabyte was another with massive chipset cooling. (I will find a X48 Extreme one day).

I figure us collectors all have one specific era we just love collecting bits for and mine is 775, though if I let it X58 might get close too as fabs still did some crazy stuff with the boards like EVGA with its dual socket triple SLI board, it could do 4 way SLI with the right cards and support X-Fire too. (Classified SR-2, such a glorious board too, yup I know it was actually a server chipset running it and not X58)

SR2.jpg

Just look at that board.

LGA775 lasted a long time. One issue though is BTX. You do anything with BTX or are you trying to avoid that?
Have any BTX cases in your stash, just in case? 😜

For me it was just about collecting what was available at that time. So it's mostly s3, s7 (mostly AT boards), slot1 and s370 that I got, though I don't have exact numbers.
I don't really have one specific area of interest here, it's more about what I would want to avoid 😜

That board looks like a server board.

Report spammers here!

Reply 534 of 1005, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-23, 15:10:

LGA775 lasted a long time. One issue though is BTX. You do anything with BTX or are you trying to avoid that?

My friend and I keep a Dell Optiplex 960 tower running with BTX motherboard. We were having "fun" trying to get a good graphics card working since it can only accept a single slot (and upside down) GPU. Our solution was a PCIe extension cable and a dual slot GPU on the floor of the case, passing the HDMI cable through a slot in the back. :D

Reply 535 of 1005, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LGA775 lasted a long time. One issue though is BTX. You do anything with BTX or are you trying to avoid that? Have any BTX cases […]
Show full quote
LGA 1366 would be as new as I go for collecting and honestly I only want one solid X58 board and a 980x and I would be more than […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Definitely not 🤣

SR2.jpg

Just look at that board.

For me it was just about collecting what was available at that time. So it's mostly s3, s7 (mostly AT boards), slot1 and s370 that I got, though I don't have exact numbers.
I don't really have one specific area of interest here, it's more about what I would want to avoid 😜

I have a Dell XPS420 which uses the BTX form factor, other than that I dont really go looking for BTX stuff, only grabbed the 420 as it was dirt cheap, in mint condition and was headed for the scrap yard. (I see no reason to scrap a Q6600 with a HD2600XT in it)

It is a server class board rigged up to be a gaming platform by EVGA, IIRC it uses a bios rather than server firmware so you can tinker with overclocking and such, still its a damn fine looking board and I might just bite the bullet and buy one.

Reply 536 of 1005, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-23, 15:02:

Still doesn't change the fact they don't add any actual value and do nothing but disrupt the market.
And for some it may feel like it's just a bit unpleasant but for some it may be like as if you're going to the supermarket and put your stuff on the conveyerbelt thingy but instead of the cashiere taking the items from you, someone else picks them up, then hands them to the cashiere and pays for it, then asks you to pay 5-fold what the value is of the items in the supermarket.

it's more that they were at the supermarket last week, aware of the deals, and had the money to buy all the non replenishing things there and then and when you turn up too late they are all gone, but the new seller is in the car park willing to sell to anyone from around the world and willing to wait for top prices to be paid

but yes, it 'disrupts' the market in the sense that the usual buyers are sellers are all affected by the sudden appearance of someone able to absorb all the 'effective demand' in one go and then release associated supply slowly (and painfully), and it definitely spoils our hobbyist potential for enjoying some things

the comparisons with housing is interesting, it's true that some rich people/companies can just buy up each house and convert to rent and that the effect is both to raise remaining house prices and cause potential buyers to have to settle for being renters. I don't much like it either, the way to curtail that is to either regulate it with rules or taxes, ie make it more and more difficult to own more than one house as an individual or reduce the appeal for property companies. Now that's market disruption, its stopping the market operating the way it would if all parties were free to buy sell as they wished (its the kind of disruption i also tend to support on the basis that owning things like houses is the best form of savings/security for most, if the opportunity to own exists)

however how can we apply these ideas to hobbies? should we even try and regulate it. The more controls on what people can and cannot own at any one time erodes the meaning of ownership as it currently stands (can you afford it) and makes it contingent on some kind of approved behaviour (like a sort of social credit) which may have some appeal, but feels very controlling to me (and undoubtedly would be corrupt disaster to try and implement)

so indeed, we have no answer to it

i doubt (most) people selling a voodoo they found in the basement is in dire straits and needs to buy bread though, realistically they just want to get some bonus cash for an item

Reply 537 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
gerry wrote on 2022-05-24, 09:06:
it's more that they were at the supermarket last week, aware of the deals, and had the money to buy all the non replenishing thi […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote on 2022-05-23, 15:02:

it's more that they were at the supermarket last week, aware of the deals, and had the money to buy all the non replenishing things there and then and when you turn up too late they are all gone, but the new seller is in the car park willing to sell to anyone from around the world and willing to wait for top prices to be paid

but yes, it 'disrupts' the market in the sense that the usual buyers are sellers are all affected by the sudden appearance of someone able to absorb all the 'effective demand' in one go and then release associated supply slowly (and painfully), and it definitely spoils our hobbyist potential for enjoying some things

the comparisons with housing is interesting, it's true that some rich people/companies can just buy up each house and convert to rent and that the effect is both to raise remaining house prices and cause potential buyers to have to settle for being renters. I don't much like it either, the way to curtail that is to either regulate it with rules or taxes, ie make it more and more difficult to own more than one house as an individual or reduce the appeal for property companies. Now that's market disruption, its stopping the market operating the way it would if all parties were free to buy sell as they wished (its the kind of disruption i also tend to support on the basis that owning things like houses is the best form of savings/security for most, if the opportunity to own exists)

however how can we apply these ideas to hobbies? should we even try and regulate it. The more controls on what people can and cannot own at any one time erodes the meaning of ownership as it currently stands (can you afford it) and makes it contingent on some kind of approved behaviour (like a sort of social credit) which may have some appeal, but feels very controlling to me (and undoubtedly would be corrupt disaster to try and implement)

so indeed, we have no answer to it

i doubt (most) people selling a voodoo they found in the basement is in dire straits and needs to buy bread though, realistically they just want to get some bonus cash for an item

You're missing the point. On multiple levels. So nevermind that. I can't be bothered to untangle all the spaghetti you create.

Report spammers here!

Reply 538 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cosmic wrote on 2022-05-23, 16:30:

My friend and I keep a Dell Optiplex 960 tower running with BTX motherboard. We were having "fun" trying to get a good graphics card working since it can only accept a single slot (and upside down) GPU. Our solution was a PCIe extension cable and a dual slot GPU on the floor of the case, passing the HDMI cable through a slot in the back. 😁

As long as it works xD 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 539 of 1005, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-23, 19:40:
LGA775 lasted a long time. One issue though is BTX. You do anything with BTX or are you trying to avoid that? Have any BTX cases […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

SR2.jpg

Just look at that board.

I have a Dell XPS420 which uses the BTX form factor, other than that I dont really go looking for BTX stuff, only grabbed the 420 as it was dirt cheap, in mint condition and was headed for the scrap yard. (I see no reason to scrap a Q6600 with a HD2600XT in it)

It is a server class board rigged up to be a gaming platform by EVGA, IIRC it uses a bios rather than server firmware so you can tinker with overclocking and such, still its a damn fine looking board and I might just bite the bullet and buy one.

I'm not even sure what I'd do if I were to get a BTX system. I reckon chances of it being some royalty OEM case is pretty high. I'm prolly gonna look at it from a case to case situation but if I can skip BTX alltogether I think that would be better.

I'm not sure in how much interest BTX would be from a retro perspective but I'd be surprised if it were to get completely forgotten though. It's still special in a way even though I realize I don't appreciate it as much but that's mostly because I prefer to look at it from a practical standpoint.

With AT this is different as AT is more widespread and it's harder to find an ATX alternative in most cases.

Report spammers here!