VOGONS

Reply 21820 of 27364, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-05-24, 14:46:

Thanks!

With NFS5a.dll it's all fixed. Even the frame rate to 65 fps, not ideal for benchmarking, but it's alright. At least it works with a decent frame rate.

You're welcome 😁 Glad I could help.

Reply 21821 of 27364, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Played my copy of Planetfall I just picked up on my Tandy 1000. Can tell this games gonna be amazing! Now waiting on new blank disks to arrive so I can back it up and be able to save.

IMG_3771.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3771.jpeg
File size
689.8 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later
IMG_3775.jpeg
Filename
IMG_3775.jpeg
File size
128.79 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Reply 21822 of 27364, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Been playing with a rough ABIT NF7-S2 (the non fun version).
After the usual thorough clean (smokers board, yuck) and recap (most caps were fine, but a few smaller ones were really bad).
I dropped in a Barton 2600+, the 166x11.5 version.
And accidentally booted it at 200MHz fsb.
And to my surprise the chip runs rock stable at 2300MHz, it didn't even need a millivolt extra to do it.
Temperatures also barely reach 40 degrees.
I had no idea the last Socket A CPU's were this o'c friendly, or maybe i got a really good chip =)

Reply 21823 of 27364, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Have been playing around a bit with the map editor for Zod Engine, a remake of Z. I didn't get very far, mostly just trying out stuff and options while figuring out how it all works and also figuring out what I want the map(s) to be like.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21824 of 27364, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just swapped out the very noisy Samsung 2GB HDD from my IBM PC330 for a 2GB CF card. Unfortunately all my other IDE drives are under 1GB or 17GB or higher and it doesn't seem to like them.

Weird though - the HDD activity LED no longer works???

Last edited by SteveC on 2022-05-25, 14:18. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21825 of 27364, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As i just got the Infinity Multipro-9000 machine fully cleaned up and working, i took out the next "disaster" from the cellar. This time a known brand machine. 😀

If i remember correctly, many years ago, when i got it, the PSU did start, but nothing came out from the machine itself - was completely dead.
Wish me luck on bringing this machine to life! 😀

Attachments

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 21826 of 27364, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-05-24, 22:03:
Been playing with a rough ABIT NF7-S2 (the non fun version). After the usual thorough clean (smokers board, yuck) and recap (mos […]
Show full quote

Been playing with a rough ABIT NF7-S2 (the non fun version).
After the usual thorough clean (smokers board, yuck) and recap (most caps were fine, but a few smaller ones were really bad).
I dropped in a Barton 2600+, the 166x11.5 version.
And accidentally booted it at 200MHz fsb.
And to my surprise the chip runs rock stable at 2300MHz, it didn't even need a millivolt extra to do it.
Temperatures also barely reach 40 degrees.
I had no idea the last Socket A CPU's were this o'c friendly, or maybe i got a really good chip =)

I suspect everything from 2500+ onwards was OC friendly. I have a 2800 that I might put back into my MSI K7N2-Delta ILSR machine, though not before case swapping it first. (I want to use its actual case for my BE6-II.

Onto the CPU - I have several 2500s (including...a green one, for whatever reason, it's 400FSB as well) and a 2800, both CPUs have gone rather well to 3200 speeds over three different mobos - an ASUS A7N8X-E Dlx, an Epox 8RDA6 Plus and the aforementioned MSI K7N2. The last one's build (K7N2 Delta-ILSR) needs some more finishing touches (especially PSU wise...) but otherwise I'm confident it will OC rather well.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21827 of 27364, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-05-25, 14:18:

As i just got the Infinity Multipro-9000 machine fully cleaned up and working, i took out the next "disaster" from the cellar. This time a known brand machine. 😀

If i remember correctly, many years ago, when i got it, the PSU did start, but nothing came out from the machine itself - was completely dead.
Wish me luck on bringing this machine to life! 😀

a challenge! looks plausible for card to ide and some other 'modernisation' to bring the 486 glory

Reply 21828 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I fitted a newly purchased 8MB Fast RAM expansion to my Amiga 1200.

amiga-ram.jpeg
Filename
amiga-ram.jpeg
File size
446.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The one I previously had was causing all kinds of issues due to a poor design not making decent contact with the edge connector on the motherboard. I literally used to have to reseat the card several times and bend down slightly, followed by never ever moving the computer. This obviously had to go! 🤣

The new one pictured slotted straight in and without issue.

Whilst I was working on the computer, I took a look at a software issue that was causing WHDLoad to crash to a black screen after loading a couple of different games. The only change I'd made recently was adding the cover images to Tiny Launcher and sure enough with those removed no more crashes. So I think I'll just leave the cover art off for now, it was only a gimmick anyway.

A nice stable Amiga 1200 finally. This RAM expansion should tide me over until hopefully the PiStorm32 gets released at some point in the future.

Reply 21829 of 27364, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Testing the new parts i did acquire, as for me is important to see if i got new stuff or scrap..

20220526_182608.jpg
Filename
20220526_182608.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 21830 of 27364, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PTherapist wrote on 2022-05-26, 15:48:
Today I fitted a newly purchased 8MB Fast RAM expansion to my Amiga 1200. […]
Show full quote

amiga-ram.jpeg

The one I previously had was causing all kinds of issues due to a poor design not making decent contact with the edge connector on the motherboard. I literally used to have to reseat the card several times and bend down slightly, followed by never ever moving the computer. This obviously had to go! 🤣

Whilst I was working on the computer, I took a look at a software issue that was causing WHDLoad to crash to a black screen after loading a couple of different games. The only change I'd made recently was adding the cover images to Tiny Launcher and sure enough with those removed no more crashes. So I think I'll just leave the cover art off for now, it was only a gimmick anyway.

A nice stable Amiga 1200 finally. This RAM expansion should tide me over until hopefully the PiStorm32 gets released at some point in the future.

Nice!! Was it hard to find? Seems like parts like that might be super rare.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 21831 of 27364, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Had this little number arrive today a Jaton NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400, nothing super amazing about it other than its a PCI version of the MX400. Going to pull the Zida Tomato board out of storage and run some benchmarks on this to see how it stacks up against a AGP MX400, I'm almost positive that the PCI bus wont hamper it much at all .. if anything the motherboard will be the limiting factor here as the Zida Tomato board is limited to PCI only. Might also test to see if anything changes if I put this PCI card into the AGP board with the 100mhz bus.

s-l1600 (6).jpg
Filename
s-l1600 (6).jpg
File size
78.59 KiB
Views
File comment
Seller Photo
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 21832 of 27364, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-27, 03:34:

I'm almost positive that the PCI bus wont hamper it much at all

From my own tests I found that it depends very much on the game. Some show little difference and some like Quake 3 (and any game using that engine) are very bandwidth hungry and will suffer a big penalty.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 21833 of 27364, by Byrd

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This RAM expansion should tide me over until hopefully the PiStorm32 gets released at some point in the future.

I've a basic A1200 and that's what I've been waiting for too - but I can't see much development of late? I know there are cheap TF030 or even TF060 but the thought of an upgradable, updatable board in an Amiga sound like a lot of fun. I'm currently using an old Apollo LC accelerator max 8MB RAM - it was 25Mhz, but I recently clock chipped it to 33Mhz and it's a good stable board.

Reply 21834 of 27364, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-27, 03:34:

Had this little number arrive today a Jaton NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400, nothing super amazing about it other than its a PCI version of the MX400. Going to pull the Zida Tomato board out of storage and run some benchmarks on this to see how it stacks up against a AGP MX400, I'm almost positive that the PCI bus wont hamper it much at all .. if anything the motherboard will be the limiting factor here as the Zida Tomato board is limited to PCI only. Might also test to see if anything changes if I put this PCI card into the AGP board with the 100mhz bus.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

I have a similar card and the PCI bus destroys performance. It was a really bad fit for my Socket 7 systems.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21835 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-26, 22:42:
Today I fitted a newly purchased 8MB Fast RAM expansion to my Amiga 1200. […]
Show full quote

amiga-ram.jpeg

Nice!! Was it hard to find? Seems like parts like that might be super rare.

Regular Fast RAM expansions like this are quite common and easy to find, there are loads of different ones available. They're not as sought after, as most people want the more expensive accelerators instead for CPU upgrades & IDE performance boosts etc.

Just have to avoid some of the cheaper hobbyist RAM expansions, as it's a gamble and they can often have poor connectors which wear down quickly and do not make sufficient contact with the edge connector on the motherboard, which was the issue I had with the card I've just replaced.

Reply 21837 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Byrd wrote on 2022-05-27, 05:09:

This RAM expansion should tide me over until hopefully the PiStorm32 gets released at some point in the future.

I've a basic A1200 and that's what I've been waiting for too - but I can't see much development of late? I know there are cheap TF030 or even TF060 but the thought of an upgradable, updatable board in an Amiga sound like a lot of fun. I'm currently using an old Apollo LC accelerator max 8MB RAM - it was 25Mhz, but I recently clock chipped it to 33Mhz and it's a good stable board.

Yeah it has been worryingly slow for a while, there seemed to be lots of development last year but not so much this year.

Worst case scenario, if it's still not out by the end of next year I'll probably have to consider something like the Terrible Fire myself too.

Reply 21838 of 27364, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today's retro activity - disassembling a recently purchased Super Famicom completely and giving it a thorough clean. It was pretty filthy on the outside, but only some mild dust bunnies on the inside.

It's yellowed a bit, but otherwise it looks pretty good. I might try just putting it out in the sun for a few hours each day, when we next get some sunlight here. It takes a lot longer to see results, but it helped a little to brighten both my VIC-20 and Dreamcast.

Reply 21839 of 27364, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested the IBM PS/2 Model 25 and the head broke off of the original floppy drive when I was attempting to clean it (I was careful).

Last night, I cleaned the Kawai ACR-20 out and it smells better, but the silicone buttons need a deep musty removal and some of the plastic has a faint smell. Also tested it and it's working. Had to put the mounting plates back on the right spot since the unit would glitch out.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser