VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was given an S3 Virge/GX that had been sitting in a box of random parts for several years. It was very dirty and covered in dust and grime. Despite multiple attempts to get it working and several reseats, it was confirmed dead.

I first tried to attack the problem by going after all of the low hanging fruit. This included a thorough cleaning in the sink, resetting the BIOS chip, and applying DeoxIT to the pins. The card was still dead.

The next and easiest choice would have been to try and replace the capacitors, but I've noticed that a common failure mode for cards of this age with large quad flat pack chips is for a defect to appear as a cracked solder joint on one of the legs. A very close inspection under a microscope revealed nothing out of the ordinary, although the break can still be impossible to see.

I applied a gratuitous amount of flux and cleaned off all of the legs before applying fresh solder. I then inspected the area several times for bridges and found some, cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and found some more, carefully cleaned and inspected the legs once again with a fine brush and found one more.

On the first boot, the card sprung to life. Another card saved.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of this repair. So you'll have to use your imagination.

20220505_015711_resize_28.jpg
Filename
File size
411.37 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-05, 06:09:
I was given an S3 Virge/GX that had been sitting in a box of random parts for several years. It was very dirty and covered in du […]
Show full quote

I was given an S3 Virge/GX that had been sitting in a box of random parts for several years. It was very dirty and covered in dust and grime. Despite multiple attempts to get it working and several reseats, it was confirmed dead.

I first tried to attack the problem by going after all of the low hanging fruit. This included a thorough cleaning in the sink, resetting the BIOS chip, and applying DeoxIT to the pins. The card was still dead.

The next and easiest choice would have been to try and replace the capacitors, but I've noticed that a common failure mode for cards of this age with large quad flat pack chips is for a defect to appear as a cracked solder joint on one of the legs. A very close inspection under a microscope revealed nothing out of the ordinary, although the break can still be impossible to see.

I applied a gratuitous amount of flux and cleaned off all of the legs before applying fresh solder. I then inspected the area several times for bridges and found some, cleaned the area with isopropyl alcohol and found some more, carefully cleaned and inspected the legs once again with a fine brush and found one more.

On the first boot, the card sprung to life. Another card saved.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any photos of this repair. So you'll have to use your imagination.

Nicely done! 😀

What did the microscope cost you btw?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't remember exactly, as it was several years ago. But I got it for a song; something under $250. Maybe $200 or even $150.

It's an Amscope and it's probably worth between $500-600 brand new. Many of the repairs I can do now would otherwise be impossible without a proper microscope.

Reply 4 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't have many early 90s PCI video cards, so it's a useful addition to my collection. I also wanted to see if the failure was the quad flat pack, as I imagined, which is why I worked in that next, rather than replacing the capacitors.

This gives me another good point of reference that this is not an uncommon point of failure. Keep this in mind if you ever have a Voodoo 1 or 2 die on you. This might be the problem.

Unfortunately, I do NOT recommend attempting this kind of repair without a microscope. You're guaranteed to end up with solder bridges between the legs and many of them already extremely difficult to spot, which is why I inspected, cleaned, inspected, double-checked, and inspected again. I've done this enough times to know not to trust a single inspection and to look over it multiple times from several different angles.

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-05-05, 14:52:

I don't have many early 90s PCI video cards, so it's a useful addition to my collection. I also wanted to see if the failure was the quad flat pack, as I imagined, which is why I worked in that next, rather than replacing the capacitors.

This gives me another good point of reference that this is not an uncommon point of failure. Keep this in mind if you ever have a Voodoo 1 or 2 die on you. This might be the problem.

Unfortunately, I do NOT recommend attempting this kind of repair without a microscope. You're guaranteed to end up with solder bridges between the legs and many of them already extremely difficult to spot, which is why I inspected, cleaned, inspected, double-checked, and inspected again. I've done this enough times to know not to trust a single inspection and to look over it multiple times from several different angles.

I assume you only do the checking itself using the microscope or do you actually use the microscope while doing the repairs? I presume the former?
Dang, I want one now 🤣

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I guess you haven't seen any of my other repair threads? Here is a picture of my microscope. A binocular microscope like this is often used for circuit board repair and inspection. Soldering under a microscope is very common and absolutely necessary for certain kinds of repair, especially with surface mount components.

You can find more photos of my repairs by searching for my name on the forum, often with keywords "repair" or "triage".

IMG_20211216_202602_resize_58.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211216_202602_resize_58.jpg
File size
190.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20210907_144239_resize_59.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210907_144239_resize_59.jpg
File size
33.28 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20210907_143922_resize_6.jpg
Filename
IMG_20210907_143922_resize_6.jpg
File size
23.83 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Kahenraz on 2022-05-05, 17:32. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 7 of 10, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some more photos from past repairs.

2021-11-11 23_23_06.png
Filename
2021-11-11 23_23_06.png
File size
242.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20211211_045141.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211211_045141.jpg
File size
34.03 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20211127_034743.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211127_034743.jpg
File size
37.1 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20211127_061404_resize_34.jpg
Filename
IMG_20211127_061404_resize_34.jpg
File size
41.35 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have seen it before.
I want this skill in my inventory before I perish xD

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This microscope is similar to what I use at work for device repair. Comes with the 1 tonne base. 😀

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.