VOGONS

First post, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

-

Edit: project canceled. project and functions superseded/merged by this project: Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker.

Related projects:
Sphere's PCB projects.

OP:

During prototyping of the processor shim tweaker I found out that it made a lot of sense to turn the shim into a full blown interposer. As many people including myself do not want to solder it to the processor its self.

This is the same thing as the processor shim except it has tabs for the heatsink clips. And you put it between a LIF and a interstitial socket. To make a interposer.

Stand by for upload.

as always, at your own risk.

Attachments

• Schematic.png
    Filename
    Schematic.png
    File size
    288.57 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Front 3D.png
    Filename
    Front 3D.png
    File size
    172.94 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Back 3D.png
    Filename
    Back 3D.png
    File size
    170.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    15.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Sphere478 on 2022-06-20, 03:36. Edited 14 times in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some relevant information to consider on a known possible complication:

Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker.

I've noticed a rather serious problem with the interstitial socket and the LIF socket mating

the interstitial socket only starts engaging with the LIF pins at about .060" or 1.6mm about the thickness of the board I planned on using...

this is a huge problem.

but thankfully, JLCPCB can make four layer boards as thin as 0.030" or 0.8mm

This is probably barely enough to make this work but will put strain on the pcb from the heatsink clip.

the other option is to sink the pcb into the LIF further by making the holes larger and trim the legs on the LIF there is a step in the legs that would work as a good resting spot for this but making the holes larger is exactly what we did not want to do.

BUT!!

Why be good when you can be lucky, as luck would have it the hole size I currently have is 0.029" and I need to clear 0.033" so only a tiny bit larger I think I can swing it and still make clearances work.

Currently the processor interposer tweaker is set up to be the size of the thin part of the pins. The above refers to the voltage interposer tweaker project.

So when ordering, I suggest trying a 0.8mm pcb or you can go as thin as jlcpcb supports: 0.4mm. As the processor interposer tweaker is a 2 layer design. However you should consider stress from the heatsink clip. Which will be pretty bad at 0.4mm

For now I will leave the hole sizes as they are because unlike the voltage interposer, this board can go down to 0.4mm if needed. and the hole sizes as they are now are so perfect for the lower tier pin diameter I just think we should try to make that work on this one before reinvinting the wheel like I may have to do on the voltage interposer.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 2 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

π.0

Filename
Socket 5-7-SS7 Processor interposer Tweaker pi.0.zip
File size
2.56 MiB
Downloads
52 downloads
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Schematic.png
    Filename
    Schematic.png
    File size
    244.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Front 3D.png
    Filename
    Front 3D.png
    File size
    171.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Back 3D.png
    Filename
    Back 3D.png
    File size
    169.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 3 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This installs right between CPU and socket with no extra parts, right?
Won't the part that has the logo and 'MOTHERBOARD SIDE'/'PROCESSOR SIDE' written on it collide with the common ZIF sockets so the whole thing will be at an angle?

Reply 4 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-28, 05:49:

This installs right between CPU and socket with no extra parts, right?
Won't the part that has the logo and 'MOTHERBOARD SIDE'/'PROCESSOR SIDE' written on it collide with the common ZIF sockets so the whole thing will be at an angle?

file.php?id=138092&mode=view

It works like this^ 😀

There are other threads for other flavors. See OP for links

If you want one that installs between the cpu and socket without extra parts you want the “processor shim” variant. It requires you to solder it to the cpu currently though.

If you wanna beta a hole size mod we can try to get the press fit working on it though.

As for the collision, no. the interstitial socket will raise it to clear the part of the motherboard socket that has the socket 5/7 logo and crank in it.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 5 of 10, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have to admit I am not sure I understood the picture. 😅
There's a LIF socket on top. What's underneath? Is that the interstitial socket?

I was confused by the OP, assuming it was identical to the processor shim just with added heatsink retention tabs:

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-26, 06:18:

This is the same thing as the processor shim except it has tabs for the heatsink clips.

While now I understand the PCB shares the electrical design (and the functionality) of the shim but connects like the voltage interposer. Did I get it right this time?

Edit: Ah, your previous post was edited while I replied. So it is an interstitial socket under the PCB. Ok, I think I got it now.👍

Reply 6 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-28, 07:48:
I have to admit I am not sure I understood the picture. 😅 There's a LIF socket on top. What's underneath? Is that the interstiti […]
Show full quote

I have to admit I am not sure I understood the picture. 😅
There's a LIF socket on top. What's underneath? Is that the interstitial socket?

I was confused by the OP, assuming it was identical to the processor shim just with added heatsink retention tabs:

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-05-26, 06:18:

This is the same thing as the processor shim except it has tabs for the heatsink clips.

While now I understand the PCB shares the electrical design (and the functionality) of the shim but connects like the voltage interposer. Did I get it right this time?

Edit: Ah, your previous post was edited while I replied. So it is an interstitial socket under the PCB. Ok, I think I got it now.👍

In order:

Yes interstitial socket below.

I edited description

Yep. Sorry, I often continue to add info for a few min after post. Haha it indeed is a interstitial socket below.

I was just basically saying that all I did was make the pcb shape different to give it tabs.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 8 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Doornkaat wrote on 2022-05-28, 08:00:

Thanks for clearing that up.👍
I had an idea for a makeshift press fit solution for the shim btw. I replied in that thread. Really not sure if it works though. 😅

Thank you 😀 I’m sure others would have wondered also. Now they can read this 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 9 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
58355A48-2CD2-405F-A01C-6F18EA90CF48.jpeg
Filename
58355A48-2CD2-405F-A01C-6F18EA90CF48.jpeg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Got the prototype!

I believe I ordered this in 0.6 thickness just to see what would happen.

Here is the result:

Using a pretty light tension clip,

-I see some deflection. So 0.8 thickness is the next step. If that doesn’t work I need to open the holes up and sink the pcb into the LIF further.

-The tabs either need some kind of solder ridge like I designed into the voltage interposer, or the tabs need to be longer. But the tabs are the right shape and fit the hooks nicely. Just, they kinda look like they might slip off given the chance. Something I was expecting but wanted to verify.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 10 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gonna update the outline on next version to correct alignment (little off center) and make it wider (same width as processor)

Edit: project canceled. project and functions superseded/merged by this project: Re: Socket 5/7/SS7 (Voltage Interposer) Tweaker.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-