Cx[C2]=FF
Cx[C3]=FF
Cx[C0]=FF
Cx[C2]=FF
Cx[C3]=FF
Cx[C0]=FF
CxType=0
Check Potomac

What CPU do you have and are you using the latest HWiNFO v6.21?

Reply 806 of 881, by roytam1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2022-05-28, 14:15:
roytam1 wrote on 2022-05-28, 14:09:
got "Fatal Error" when starting, DBG log: […]
Show full quote

got "Fatal Error" when starting, DBG log:

VidMode=3
DispComb=8
HWiNFO v6.2.1
Flushing disk caches ...

Reading Data ...

DetectCPU - 586
CPUID=513
Check Cx
Cx[C2]=FF
Cx[C3]=FF
Cx[C0]=FF
Cx[C2]=FF
Cx[C3]=FF
Cx[C0]=FF
CxType=0
Check Potomac

What CPU do you have and are you using the latest HWiNFO v6.21?

tested on "Script PC" emulator, NSSI shows:

nssi060-1.png
Filename
nssi060-1.png
File size
17.1 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
nssi060-2.png
Filename
nssi060-2.png
File size
21.17 KiB
Views
File license

and yes I tested with 6.2.1. BTW hwinfo16 works.

Reply 807 of 881, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you still interested in random reports? If so here's a ThinkPad 365X report and debug.

I've got a weird problem with a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDs where it acts like the last key you press is stuck down when in the application. I need to play with the machine more though to see if it's just a dodgy laptop!

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFOTP.zip
    File size
    15.73 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 808 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SteveC wrote on 2022-06-24, 17:58:

Are you still interested in random reports? If so here's a ThinkPad 365X report and debug.

I've got a weird problem with a Toshiba Satellite 4000CDs where it acts like the last key you press is stuck down when in the application. I need to play with the machine more though to see if it's just a dodgy laptop!

Yes, still interested in any retro reports 😀 Thanks!

Reply 809 of 881, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have some issues with it here: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/user/rando … /devices/289361

CPU and RAM not detected.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 810 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-09-09, 20:21:

I have some issues with it here: https://gamesystemrequirements.com/user/rando … /devices/289361

CPU and RAM not detected.

Try the latest version of HWiNFO for DOS, not HWiNFO16 which is for 8086-286 only.

Reply 811 of 881, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

IBM PC 330 Model 466DX2 (486 DX/2 66MHz) DBG and LOG file

Attachments

• Filename
    IBM PC330 466DX2.zip
    File size
    7.14 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 813 of 881, by werchter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for resurrecting HWinFO!
As someone who developed DOS programs myself, I was always really impressed by HWiNFO's great text interface (TUI), and always wondered how it was build.
I know that we can't expect HWinFO to become open source any time soon.... but are you willing to tell maybe something how you build the interface?
For example programming language it was developed in, and if it's completely custom build, or some kind of TUI library was used?

I think it can be super interesting for any developer working on TUI interfaces (even modern ones) to learn about how this classing programming was build!

Reply 814 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
werchter wrote on 2022-10-05, 16:28:
Thanks for resurrecting HWinFO! As someone who developed DOS programs myself, I was always really impressed by HWiNFO's great t […]
Show full quote

Thanks for resurrecting HWinFO!
As someone who developed DOS programs myself, I was always really impressed by HWiNFO's great text interface (TUI), and always wondered how it was build.
I know that we can't expect HWinFO to become open source any time soon.... but are you willing to tell maybe something how you build the interface?
For example programming language it was developed in, and if it's completely custom build, or some kind of TUI library was used?

I think it can be super interesting for any developer working on TUI interfaces (even modern ones) to learn about how this classing programming was build!

The interface is completely custom-built mostly using object-oriented C++, a bit of ASM. It wasn't that hard to create it.

Reply 815 of 881, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Textual user interfaces are easy to create in C++ and asm. A complete windowing system is almost as easy. You just need to write it initially in pseudo code, and break it down to the smallest elements. I need to rewrite my own for my x86 OS 😀

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 816 of 881, by werchter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mumak wrote on 2022-10-05, 16:45:

The interface is completely custom-built mostly using object-oriented C++, a bit of ASM. It wasn't that hard to create it.

Thanks!

Yes, I writing a DOS interface is relatively uncomplicated, compared to for example cross platform nix* development with ncurses or similar frameworks.
I did some development with Turbo Vision in Borland's Pascal in '90s. Turbo Vision give great results as well, but is relatively complex, especially for straightforward use cases.

Anyway, great work @Mumak on the interface, especially for time period when it was initially released!

Reply 817 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
werchter wrote on 2022-10-05, 18:11:
Thanks! […]
Show full quote
Mumak wrote on 2022-10-05, 16:45:

Thanks!

Yes, I writing a DOS interface is relatively uncomplicated, compared to for example cross platform nix* development with ncurses or similar frameworks.
I did some development with Turbo Vision in Borland's Pascal in '90s. Turbo Vision give great results as well, but is relatively complex, especially for straightforward use cases.

Anyway, great work @Mumak on the interface, especially for time period when it was initially released!

Thanks. Some others (creating similar tool(s)) have copied a lot including several details and textual descriptions.. But I won't name them...

Reply 818 of 881, by kennyPENTIUMpowers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

downloaded HWiNFO32.exe ..

it wont run, get an error

when i click on it (go to run it) in windows 95 on my p166 machine I get "Error Starting Program" "A required .DLL file, WININET.DLL, was not found"..

this new version doesnt work on win 95 4.00.950a

is there an old original version that does?

according to this page which lists wininet.dll versions the dll comes in the internet explorer package or the OS install (WIN(95OSR2 onwards).. https://www.geoffchappell.com/studies/windows … story/index.htm
wondering which version is necessary?
does this mean i have install Internet Explorer (ughh i dont want that crap on my system) .. or just the dll - which i have no idea where to get from and potentially opening up a can of worms as theres 11ty million different versions..?
ok ok so say i manage to find this missing dll, then what? where does it go? in the same folder as hwinfo32 or somewhere else like the windows folder?

ah retro computing... just as i remember it back in the day .. a complete headache