VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently had a discussion with someone about old DOS games under Windows.
I usually run everything from a bootdisk on a Win98SE system. Still many said this didn't help them. Could it be a FAT32 NTFS problem?
I have one 2 GB FAT16 partition for this stuff.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

no, the only thing that might be wrong is the fact that the security permissions were wrong.

The fact that old games fail to work on win2k is that support for the old dosfunctions has been limited and the timing is bad

win2k is made for many applications at once as in dos the programs had full control.

But there are many many isues that prevent old games from working. But FAT isn't one.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix But there are many many isues that prevent old games from working. But FAT isn't one.

Wouldn't be quite this broad on definition. There are installers written for games from the FAT16 era that will "freak" when they see large partitions. Results vary, but the usual response is a negative drive size being reported, which usually results in the installer refusing to install the game.

Reply 4 of 7, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know and read them, however this wasn't a troubleshooting post in the traditional sense. My system runs just fine. I was posting in the name of about 5 other people. Since they claim to be "experts" but don't even know how write an autoexec.bat I thought I'd ask if this could be the issue.
Even though my first computer had the first version of Windows 95 on it I consider myself a DOS junkee.
It was more of a theoretical question then a troubleshooting one.
Since I figured you all had experience with older games and FAT I just wanted to ask.
Now if I wanted to know why Shattered Steel's cinematic sequences stutter I'd have posted everything!

Reply 5 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, if you're having problems with cinematic sequences in Shattered Steel, go make a new thread and ask. 😀

Drive formatting (FAT12 v FAT16 v FAT32 v NTFS v EXT2 v EXT3 v REISERFS v anything else) is (rather, should be) transparent to normal programs. As was mentioned already the only possible problem could be that of really old FAT16 games returning negative values (signed float overflow) and that would only affect the installation, not the actual running of the game.

Also, you said "FAT32 NTFS" but FAT32 and NTFS are two COMPLETELY different formats. Could you please clarify?

Oh, and don't be a proxy -- tell those l00zers to post here themselves. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 7, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I shall do that!
Yes if I determine I really want help on Shattered Steel I will make a new thread with ALL the stats including my weight, eye-color and religious affiliation of my cat.
Basically most folks I know have FAT32 or NTFS systems and didn't even know FAT16 existed. :-)
That's all. I'll consider this thread closed.