A64D7198-C4A4-40BF-9126-B349C05C2511.jpeg
Filename
A64D7198-C4A4-40BF-9126-B349C05C2511.jpeg
File size
104.62 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

So, there are a few versions of these things, ddr3 and ddr4 I believe I’ve seen.

Before you ask, no these are not ram to storage adapters. They are just a easy place to mount a storage solution. You treat them like any old sata drive and plug them into the sata port. It just mounts to a ram slot passively.

Anyway, I got to thinking, this would be handy on some retro systems also.

If I could find a kicad project for a m.2 adapter and some projects for sdram and simms maybe even ddr and ddr2 or even rdram I could copy and paste the elements and make these for those form factors as well.

The BOM is pretty small for these, just a few surface mount components and they are ready to go.

Any interest in this? I think this would work great in my tyan build with my promise tx4 sata II

No intention of selling them, just a fun open source pcb project.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 1 of 31, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I fail to understand is why they bothered with the DIMM pins? Power and data are provided by the SATA connectors in the corner, so why bother with the edge-connector at all?

I’d contemplated a similar idea previously, but vertical mounting for two 2.5” SSDs that you simply slot home onto connectors like the one on the corner of this device. Place a single SATA power in connector on one edge and two SATA data on the other.

Reply 3 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
paradigital wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:12:

What I fail to understand is why they bothered with the DIMM pins? Power and data are provided by the SATA connectors in the corner, so why bother with the edge-connector at all?

I’d contemplated a similar idea previously, but vertical mounting for two 2.5” SSDs that you simply slot home onto connectors like the one on the corner of this device. Place a single SATA power in connector on one edge and two SATA data on the other.

Well its a cost thing, the tools for making DDR3/DDR4 PCB blanks are already available and you wont need to make a new set of PCB blanks for these adaptors by just repurposing what's already available in mass quantities.

The pins dont go anywhere so there is no cost in having them there.

Reply 5 of 31, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:36:
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:32:

Seems like a waste of a RAM slot.

most retro boards come with 4 ram slots and if you only need to use one or two then this simply uses the empty slots.

But why? You can put it literally anywhere.

Reply 6 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, many retro boards can max out ram without using all the slots. Like my p55xb2 could max out the ram using only one of the provided 6 slots 🤣

Or my tyan, only 4 of provided 8

Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:39:

most retro boards come with 4 ram slots and if you only need to use one or two then this simply uses the empty slots.

Including a ram slot!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:39:

because this M.2 SSD adaptor is designed to fit into an empty Dimm slot, im not sure what your issue is with repurposing an empty ram slot ?

Reply 8 of 31, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you are putting an M2 SSD in a retro system, you've probably got the RAM maxed out as well. Doesn't make sense when you could easily just stick it in a drive bay adapter. If you don't have any free bays then stick it on the side of the case.

Reply 9 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:43:

If you are putting an M2 SSD in a retro system, you've probably got the RAM maxed out as well. Doesn't make sense when you could easily just stick it in a drive bay adapter. If you don't have any free bays then stick it on the side of the case.

Depends on the system, Sata is a pretty old standard and works well with XP era systems which dont need 16gb of ram so no you wont generally have maxed out memory in a retro rig since its not needed.

I have zero interest in sticking adaptors like this where they dont belong ...such a tacky thing to do when it'll fit really nice into a spare DIMM slot, if I do have maxxed ram then I sure as hell wont be using an adaptor like this ill be using something more exotic and designed to fit into a HDD drive slot or PCIe slot.

Reply 10 of 31, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:43:

I wanna use it on this build. Four unusable slots available would be kinda cool to see a m.2 in one or two of them. Good conversation starter.

This case does have some spaces for 2.5” drives in rear though. But it’s a hobby. I like to have fun with it 😀

Attachments

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 12 of 31, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sphere478 you clearly ran out of space in that tiny case 😜

What I dont understand about the linked adapter is ENIG on ram pins, its easily 2x the cost of pcb

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 13 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 07:02:
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:49:

I have zero interest in sticking adaptors like this where they dont belong

Agreed. RAM slots are for RAM 😜

Clearly it does belong in a Dimm slot since its a Dimm PCB with pins and latch locks obviously designed and meant to go .. in a RAM slot. (Shit its even got a nice little notch that perfectly suits a RAM slot) So why would I put this anywhere else ?

Reply 14 of 31, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:10:

Clearly it does belong in a Dimm slot since its a Dimm PCB with pins and latch locks obviously designed and meant to go .. in a RAM slot. (Shit its even got a nice little notch that perfectly suits a RAM slot) So why would I put this anywhere else ?

https://imgur.com/a/4yMC8

I highly recommend cup holder with integrated lighter

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 15 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

hmm ..I have a cup holder in my XP rig . .the lighter I dont have but I could use one !

wait ... its a cup holder right

Cup Holder.jpg
Filename
Cup Holder.jpg
File size
71.65 KiB
Views
File comment
Totally Not My Picture
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 31, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 06:49:

I have zero interest in sticking adaptors like this where they dont belong

A better question is why would you have it in the first place? It's unnecessary. I can 3d print a plastic shelf that plugs into an AC outlet. That doesn't mean the AC outlet is designed to hold a shelf.

Reply 17 of 31, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:40:

A better question is why would you have it in the first place? It's unnecessary. I can 3d print a plastic shelf that plugs into an AC outlet. That doesn't mean the AC outlet is designed to hold a shelf.

Ok now your argument is going into silly territory, but just so you know . .AC outlets can do a myriad of things they were never designed to do .. like carry network traffic, Dimm slots can hold more than just memory modules, what something was designed to do is very different from what it can actually do.

Shifting spanners were never designed to be used as hammers but you can bet your behind thats exactly what they get used as, just ask any fitter or mechanic.

Reply 18 of 31, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:48:
Plasma wrote on 2022-05-31, 11:40:

Ok now your argument is going into silly territory, but just so you know . .AC outlets can do a myriad of things they were never designed to do .. like carry network traffic, Dimm slots can hold more than just memory modules, what something was designed to do is very different from what it can actually do.

Shifting spanners were never designed to be used as hammers but you can bet your behind thats exactly what they get used as, just ask any fitter or mechanic.

This entire thread is silly territory. Is there really nowhere else to put an M2 besides the DIMM slot? If you want to waste a slot knock yourself out, but you aren't going to convince me this is useful.

Reply 19 of 31, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Vote for the utility of these things. Maybe it's because of my penchant for vintage cases, but I've frequently had trouble getting a 2.5" SSD properly mounted in a case, let alone any nVME thing like this. I generally have more RAM slots left than good places to stick a stick.

That said, the opposite may also be true. In that case, just don't use it 😉