VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I am running Windows 11 and I can get Heretic II to run either using the 1.06 Enhancement Patch or the 1.07 one. Unfortunately on either one the game will crash if I try to load a save game. This was not as big of deal because it would allow you to load a level. However once I got to the second main area in the game you have to backtrack into other levels and if you do that the game crashes. I can't remember if I had a similar issue on Windows 10 because that was a long time ago now. So basically the game crashes when loading a save or backtracking into a prior area played.

"Never pay more than 20 dollars for a computer game" - Guybrush Threepwood

Reply 1 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay I figured this out. I was using the 3dfx GL driver to use nGlide for upscaling. Unfortunately, when using the 3dfx driver it would crash whenever trying to load a game. using the default opengl one does not.

Reply 2 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I was using Glide-GL and nGlide for upscaling does anyone know of any decent OpenGL wrappers that allow upscaling like nGlide or DgVoodoo?

Reply 3 of 19, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

nGlide has a patch for this problem on the compatibility list:
https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-15, 18:24:

Since I was using Glide-GL and nGlide for upscaling does anyone know of any decent OpenGL wrappers that allow upscaling like nGlide or DgVoodoo?

DxWnd and Peixoto's patches should able to force a higher rendering resolution (which I assume is what you mean) for OpenGL games. I would recommend Peixoto's patches for Quake II engine games.

There's also the possibility of combining wrappers (QindieGL > dgVoodoo2), but I haven't run into a single game where that's actually helpful.

Reply 4 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-17, 22:21:
nGlide has a patch for this problem on the compatibility list: https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility […]
Show full quote

nGlide has a patch for this problem on the compatibility list:
https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-15, 18:24:

DxWnd and Peixoto's patches should able to force a higher rendering resolution (which I assume is what you mean) for OpenGL games. I would recommend Peixoto's patches for Quake II engine games.

There's also the possibility of combining wrappers (QindieGL > dgVoodoo2), but I haven't run into a single game where that's actually helpful.

Yeah i have tried nGlide's compatibility patch and it just doesn't work still crashes upon trying to load a save. So far only using stock openGl seems to work.

Reply 6 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-28, 10:58:

Did you get it working with Peixoto's patches? Should be relatively simple and work nicely at least until the fog issues that some GPU drivers have with OpenGL.

I never tried peixoto’s tbh, but the fog issue seems to on,y happen if you use the 1.07 fan patch. If you stick to 1.06 it doesn’t happen.

Reply 7 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some other things to try:
I remember something about Heretic 2 and needing to set the sound to "default sound"? Try that.
Also try the game without any patch.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2022-05-31, 19:32. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-05-29, 12:02:

Some other things to try:
I remember something about Heretic 2 and needing to see the sound to "default sound"? Try that.
Also try the game without any patch.

So just tried with no patch and my game version off of the CD is 1.06a which is the enhancement pack version but like the one with the gore turned off. I wonder if this is why i have issues when applying other enhancement patches.

Reply 9 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

looking further into this and I think I have some sort of standalone version of the game sold later as just a jewel case. it has a number on the back of the case T-624601 01 and there are other CD's on ebay without this. This number is imprinted on the disk itself and if you explore the disk there is a PDF of the game manual. So, I am wondering if this version of the game since it is 1.06a has issues with running, and being patched..

Reply 10 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So got a copy of a disc with 1.0 and like it still has the same problems so using 1.06a isn’t the issue. Here. The weird thing is now it crashes on loading a save no matter what.

Reply 12 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-05-31, 19:32:

I thought you said it worked in OpenGL mode? Play it in OpenGL mode. It's a OpenGL game, not a Glide game.

It stopped working in open GL mode and like you do know a lot of older games do run better with the miniGL driver and using nGlide.

Reply 13 of 19, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-15, 17:35:

Okay I figured this out. I was using the 3dfx GL driver to use nGlide for upscaling. Unfortunately, when using the 3dfx driver it would crash whenever trying to load a game. using the default opengl one does not.

if you had not worked it out then you would have had to beat the game in one sitting!

Reply 14 of 19, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-31, 21:32:

I thought you said it worked in OpenGL mode? Play it in OpenGL mode. It's a OpenGL game, not a Glide game.

It stopped working in open GL mode and like you do know a lot of older games do run better with the miniGL driver and using nGlide.

No, not really. Only old OpenGL games I can think of are all ID engine, and don't play better with Glide at all. At any rate, Heretic II definitely doesn't, there isn't even a widescreen patch for its Glide render.

Not really related to your problem though, if you're still getting crashes even with the OpenGL render, for anyone to be able to help you, you would need to produce save files and exact reproduction steps.

Reply 15 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2022-06-01, 09:15:
Presbytier wrote on 2022-05-31, 21:32:

No, not really. Only old OpenGL games I can think of are all ID engine, and don't play better with Glide at all. At any rate, Heretic II definitely doesn't, there isn't even a widescreen patch for its Glide render.

Not really related to your problem though, if you're still getting crashes even with the OpenGL render, for anyone to be able to help you, you would need to produce save files and exact reproduction steps.

I’m not sure save files even matter because it’s literally every single one. The only reproduction step is to literally try to load one. The only thing you can do is warp directly to a map. This happens on 1.0 1.06 and 1.07. It was working at least in OpenGL mode, but for completely unrelated reasons I had to reinstall windows 11 now it crashes only on loading saves.

Reply 16 of 19, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can try running dependency walker on it. Mabye it's loading an incompatible .dll. I remember issues with some games trying to load a3d .dll's and crashing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 19, by Presbytier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-06-01, 17:51:

You can try running dependency walker on it. Mabye it's loading an incompatible .dll. I remember issues with some games trying to load a3d .dll's and crashing.

Yeah I’ll give that a look especially since it’s doing it in a fresh windows install too.

Reply 18 of 19, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm thinking bad HID device, and since you made this topic earlier:
AIO Cooler Prevents Some Older Games From Launching
Maybe you disabled that on your old install and forgot on your new one?

I mean without more details we can't really help.

Reply 19 of 19, by eqagunn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was playing in 1920x1080 via Peixoto's Patch and with the HUD set to 960x540 via H2Resolution. When used together with Peixoto's Patch, H2Resolution will affect the HUD resolution only. This solves the problem of miniature HUD at higher resolutions. Quicksaving and quickloading would often crash the game, but there was always a level-entry autosave as a backup which would always load. Played through the original and through Shadow Slayer mod like that. Recorded the latter too.

However, while playing through The Return of Morcalavin mod, once I reached the end of "Fairbury Proper 2" the game crashed while loading the next level and before generating the level-entry autosave. Noclipped to the exit a few more times but always the same outcome. Therefore, I was stuck. Took me a bit of googling to find the workaround. As Martin instructed, used H2Resolution to set the game to 1024x760 and started it without Peixoto's Patch. Had to reply the level, but this time it loaded the next one and created autosave successfully. Restarted the game in 1080p via Peixoto's Patch and continued playing as usual. Unsure whether I just needed a lucky attempt or 1024x760 really helped though.

tl;dr Try playing in 1024x768.