Topic actions

Reply 44920 of 52690, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismes wrote on 2022-06-01, 19:06:
GigAHerZ wrote on 2022-06-01, 11:32:

I'm currently in the middle of repairing a Compaq ProLinea 4/25s machine: Compaq ProLinea 4/25s - Seems to be dead, ideas?

But while keeping my eyes open, i found that someone's selling a motherboard, that is not compaq motherboard, but has all the ports, screw holes and even riser slot exactly the same as the compaq. So i got it for 10€ and i hope that will be a "backup solution" if i don't get the original motherboard working.

It would actually be even an upgrade - it has cache (which compaq does not have) and slowest CPU i can provide there is dx2-50, which is double the "megaherzes"! 😁

So it's an Acer Acermate A1G, right? My guess is Acer produced those boards for Compaq and also offered their own systems with it.

Thanks! I didn't start identifying it before i got it to at my hands.

There are few candidates, when i started off from your suggestion.
A1G - all looks good, except the video memory is different/not socketed and there is no on-board ram. (pads are there)
A1G4 - based on the component image on UT, it is identical, except the jumpers between cache and tag chip are wrong way around. (Mine seems to be like A1G)
A1GL - Same story as A1G4

There is A1G+, which doesn't have any picture material. Maybe that will be a perfect match. Once i receive the board, i'll try to identify it properly.

Thanks for the suggestion and helping me to get on track with this board!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 44921 of 52690, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-06-02, 07:14:
MSI K7T266 Pro-R for the usual tenner. Early "DDR" Socket 462 / Athlon motherboard with IDE RAID and AGP pro. Some random AM. Fa […]
Show full quote

MSI K7T266 Pro-R for the usual tenner. Early "DDR" Socket 462 / Athlon motherboard with IDE RAID and AGP pro. Some random AM.
Fat, good looking caps. Boots just fine.
Apparently, the original VIA KT266 chipset has all kinds of funny bugs to look forward to...

This came with surprise CPU that turned out to be a surprise... Thunderbird 1400.
Nice! Especially since I have one of those since 20 years, only that I cooked it some day...
IIRC, that bugger is unlocked by nature. It readily OCed via multiplier setting in the award bios.

Of note that they included what seems to be a 4 pin 12v plug. Don't think I've seen many pre-nForce 2 mobos sport that.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 44922 of 52690, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-02, 07:59:
MSI K7T266 Pro-R for the usual tenner. Early "DDR" Socket 462 / Athlon motherboard with IDE RAID and AGP pro. Some random AM. Fa […]
Show full quote

MSI K7T266 Pro-R for the usual tenner. Early "DDR" Socket 462 / Athlon motherboard with IDE RAID and AGP pro. Some random AM.
Apparently, the original VIA KT266 chipset has all kinds of funny bugs to look forward to...

This came with surprise CPU that turned out to be a surprise... Thunderbird 1400.
Nice! Especially since I have one of those since 20 years, only that I cooked it some day...
IIRC, that bugger is unlocked by nature. It readily OCed via multiplier setting in the award bios.

Of note that they included what seems to be a 4 pin 12v plug. Don't think I've seen many pre-nForce 2 mobos sport that.

Uhm, now that you mention it? I did not notice that one when I just tested it with some random FX5200.
But I'd have very much assumed it is.
Yet, call my crazy, I had a look at the manual.
Turn's out, it's not. It's supposed to be a hook up to the graphics card. Apparently, that was a thing?
(I'm intending to use the board with an ELSA Gloria II pro (Quadro-gf256 DDR) with AGP pro, that does not have one of those.)
It matches the usual p4 plug in shape and voltage and I'd assume it would not hurt the board to attach one, but if I'm understanding this correctly, the juice is supposed to go out there and to the card?

That MSI board seems to have all kinds of weird shit.
Like, some strange USB based p2p connection instead of LAN? TF?

See the relevant pages, attached. Far out.

Attachments

I like jumpers.

Reply 44923 of 52690, by chrismes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2022-06-01, 11:25:

Is hama Mediamarkt's store brand?

No, but they are sold in their stores. You can find them everywhere, at least here in Germany. They slap their name on thousands of products to distribute, mostly overpriced basic stuff of low to medium quality, at least in my experience.They just don't feel like a real name brand.

Reply 44924 of 52690, by NyLan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK... I think IDE to SATA adapters should be enough for me for the next few years... 😄

2022-06-02 18.50.26.jpg
Filename
2022-06-02 18.50.26.jpg
File size
830.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

8 brand new adapters, 10$

My Intel SE440BX-2 Intel's website Mirror : Modified to include docs, refs and BIOSes.
Proud owner of a TL866 II
Personal GitHub

Reply 44925 of 52690, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

The one KT266 motherboard I ever dealt with was a Shuttle AK32, and it had a similar northbridge heatsink; it was in an old case with poor ventilation, and the heat caused the double sided tape holding it on the northbridge to loosen up, and it began to slide off. The cure was a standard northbridge heatsink held in place with plastic pushpins in the (thankfully) preexisting holes.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 44926 of 52690, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Show full quote

Is it a 1400B or a 1400C?

And yes these chips are indeed easy to cook 😒

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 44927 of 52690, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've acquired a Voodoo3 1000. I can't believe these things were sold with no heatsinks. Even at stock, I couldn't touch the core for more than a fraction of a fraction of a millisecond. I applied a smallish heatsink and pointed a smallish fan at the chip and it overclocked stable at 157.5MHz through various benchmarks 3DMark 1999, etc. at 800x600x16. 26% increase. The RAM was always cool to the touch. Once I pulled the fan away and locked it up in a case, 157.5MHz wouldn't hold. I should be able to get more than Voodoo3 3000 speeds with proper cooling; the RAM certainly won't be the limiting factor at 5.5ns. I'll get to that sometime in the future.

Attachments

Reply 44928 of 52690, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-02, 17:27:
Show full quote

It is the 1400C for the 133 MHz FSB.
Although I'd assume the 1400B was merely the very same chip set to default to 14 x 100 MHz on older boards...

I actually bought that one for cheap and used, in 2002 or 3 to upgrade from a prized TB 700 that I had bought with some silly dotcom startup job money back when that was cool.
Mainly because 700 @ 1000 felt sub standard by then and the obnoxious nerd in me refused to buy a CPU that bore the name of a Microsoft OS, if not officially.

"Easy to cook", well, it depends.
Just don't ever move them anywhere near a power supply without a heat sink attached.
Mere negligence can mean to accidentally hook up a "live" PSU that for some freak reason turns on before you attach the heat sink, e.g.

But, I'm still ashamed to admit, I cooked it by ignorance rather than negligence. Back then, think I wanted to check whether a certain board does POST at all or something like that.
And, I assumed it would be ok to power it up for a mere second up to the VGA bios screen.
Turns out, it's not ok. Not at all.

What can I say? I was young and reckless. Also, to my defense, the chip was retired and just had entered "obsolescence purgatory". So I did not care too much. But it was the last of the CPGA Mohicans, even back then. I should have known better! 🙁

Attachments

• DSCI0011.JPG
    Filename
    DSCI0011.JPG
    File size
    245.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

I like jumpers.

Reply 44929 of 52690, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:17:
It is the 1400C for the 133 MHz FSB. Although I'd assume the 1400B was merely the very same chip set to default to 14 x 100 MHz […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Although I'd assume the 1400B was merely the very same chip set to default to 14 x 100 MHz on older boards...

I actually bought that one for cheap and used, in 2002 or 3 to upgrade from a prized TB 700 that I had bought with some silly dotcom startup job money back when that was cool.
Mainly because 700 @ 1000 felt sub standard by then and the obnoxious nerd in me refused to buy a CPU that bore the name of a Microsoft OS, if not officially.

Just don't ever move them anywhere near a power supply without a heat sink attached.
Mere negligence can mean to accidentally hook up a "live" PSU that for some freak reason turns on before you attach the heat sink, e.g.

But, I'm still ashamed to admit, I cooked it by ignorance rather than negligence. Back then, think I wanted to check whether a certain board does POST at all or something like that.
And, I assumed it would be ok to power it up for a mere second up to the VGA bios screen.

What can I say? I was young and reckless. Also, to my defense, the chip was retired and just had entered "obsolescence purgatory". So I did not care too much. But it was the last of the CPGA Mohicans, even back then. I should have known better! 🙁

I have the same cpu.
I got it from my uncle, as he moved to a P4 like 6 months after he bought it (when it had already been out for some time).
It was set to 100mhz fsb and the h/s was mounted backwards, hence it wasn't making a 100% contact on the die surface.
Didn't die and as I noticed the issue I reapplied thermal paste and mounted the h/s correctly.

As for the "it will POST".
When I tested Athlons, if the h/s wasn't mounted or have the adequate pressure on, no post.
Temp does spike fast on those. Happy they went back to IHS.

I can't get myself to use one of those as a retro rig. I prefer 754 or 939 sockets.

Last edited by Nexxen on 2022-06-02, 22:04. Edited 1 time in total.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 44930 of 52690, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-02, 19:57:

I should be able to get more than Voodoo3 3000 speeds with proper cooling

Probably this is exactly why they were sold bare.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 44931 of 52690, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've acquired a Voodoo3 1000. I can't believe these things were sold with no heatsinks.

I think I saw the same listing some time ago. I assumed that the heatsink had been removed. Can you confirm that it never had one?

Reply 44932 of 52690, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:43:

I've acquired a Voodoo3 1000. I can't believe these things were sold with no heatsinks.

I think I saw the same listing some time ago. I assumed that the heatsink had been removed. Can you confirm that it never had one?

It does not appear a heatsink was ever applied; nor have I ever seen a Voodoo3 1000 with a heatsink attached from the factory (which doesn't mean they don't exist, of course, it just means I haven't seen one).

Reply 44933 of 52690, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

Attachments

Reply 44934 of 52690, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Thermalwrong wrote on 2022-06-03, 02:45:

Ah, thank you Mr Gold Recycler, I hope those precious gold fingers and gold plated jumper pins bring you all the riches you desire

That poor sound card. They butchered that poor thing for a few cents in gold.

Reply 44935 of 52690, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's a greedy bastard who did that to a Sound Blaster 2.0 card. 😳

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 44936 of 52690, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I guess you can salvage the chips at least.

Ages ago I received a picture of a trashcan full of ISA, VLB, EISA, etc cards with the gold fingers cut off by a scrapper. No idea if I still have it somehwere but it was depressing back then and that was before the cards were worth money like today.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 44937 of 52690, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Snagged this big boy locally, a Dell P1110 21" CRT. I believe it's a Dell branded Sony G500. It needs G2 voltage adjusted because it has the runaway brightness issue, but that shouldn't be a problem. These can be fine tuned with WinDAS, so a little time and massaging the settings and should be a great monitor!

20220602-230422.jpg

Reply 44938 of 52690, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:43:

I also own one of these they do not have a heatsink. You can use a thermal adhesive tape and 40mm chipset heatsink on top and they will run fine at stock speeds, even at 2000 speeds.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 44939 of 52690, by ChrisK

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-06-02, 20:17:
It is the 1400C for the 133 MHz FSB. Although I'd assume the 1400B was merely the very same chip set to default to 14 x 100 MHz […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

Yes I can remember this little deathbringing noise, too. "pfffff" just one nanosecond after power on and that's it. You can't do nothing against. When you hear it it's already too late.
Happend to me once, too, when testing all my SoA CPUs. Just had the cooler lying loose on top with some gentle pressure to make contact to the die but the heatsink clips unattached to not stress the socket mounts and my fingers and the dies too much to avoid cracking. Think it was a 1 GHz Athlon.
Very poor design, just like the regular P3s w/o heatspreader. Just that they didn't need that much pressure for the heatsink which made testing a lot easier.