VOGONS

First post, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there,

Always me, Loris, and today I make a great deal, I think, with these four video card from the past.

We have here three Creative CT6970 (geforce 256 DDR) and a Voodoo2 12MB.

Tomorrow I will test them, I just got them for about 100 bucks.

What do you think? I will earn some money isn't it?

Computer lover since 1992.
Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 1 of 11, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hard to tell before you test them. But chances are, you won't make a loss there.
gf 256 DDR sure tend to move in the three figures but they can be finicky.

Weird to see that some of the CT6970 had a fan header and some didn't. Will these people please make up their mind?

That V2 is the 12 MB version, I'd hope - depends on the rear view.

Good catch!

I like jumpers.

Reply 2 of 11, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That third CT6970 next to the Voodoo 3 (lower left corner) looks like it does have the pins for the fan but not the plastic that the fan would clip in. Same thing was done to the one above it too.
My guess is that someone replaced the heatsinks on those CT6970 - all the photos Google is providing me point to the CT6970 having a fan - all three cards here do have the pins for the fan intact, but at least two are missing the plastic that the fan clips in (the square white plastic bit that's present on the upper right corner CT6970.)

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The heatsinks seem to all 3 be their original onesEDIT: Definitely not original IF they are supposed to be Creative brand ENDEDIT, but 2 of them have their fan missing. One of the heatsinks seems to have a pushpin replaced by a screw(?!?) and 1 heatsink seems to have no pushpins installed at all.

The pic is not very clear, so can't see if the pins of the Voodoo 2 are alright (this seems to be a common issue with Voodoo 2 cards).

I'd guess it's possible that the original owner had the fans removed because the original fans died or were too loud.
It's also possible the original owner had the heatsinks replaced by better quality aftermarket heatsinks (with or without a fan, like some of the early Zalman flower coolers for instance or the one with the heatpipe), and when he wanted to sell the cards he tried to fit the original heatsinks back.

These 4 cards are all from the same seller I reckon?

Yes I would test them. Just make sure the cooling is sufficient or you might end up frying your earnings of some money.

Last edited by Tetrium on 2022-04-23, 09:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Waaaaaait...

We have here three Creative CT6970 (geforce 256 DDR)

The pic shows a Winfast fan on the top left card. Something is not kosher here 🙂

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd say this here is one of the more interesting bits 😀

The attachment creativewinfast.jpg is no longer available

EDIT: I don't have any Geforce 1 cards of my own and the pic quality isn't great, so I can't really determine where these heatsinks originated from.
But it's very well possible these heatsinks are not original to the CT-6970. The fan situation is definitely not their original state as GF1 cards always came with one (afaik) and the fan Creative used was different.
The Winfast fan is from some other card.

Looks like one of the previous owners tried to mix and match heatsinks. It could also explain why one of the fan headers seem to be missing the plastic fan thingy part, it may have gotten yanked out as the previous owner was messing around with the GPU coolers.

So I don't know if this will seriously degrade their value since I've always been more of an actual user of hardware and get hardware with the intend to use it and not to put it in a glass case and have people look at it. So for me it wouldn't make much difference since it shouldn't be too hard to create some effective cooling for these GPUs. But for some hardcore collector that wants everything as original as possible, this may not be what he wants.

And on top of that, this (the way these cards seem to have been treated in the past) increases the chance that one of the cards have gotten damaged (and I don't mean just that one plastic fan header part).
I've never seen someone use an actual screw to replace a missing push pin. I'd be seriously worried to damage the PCB that way.
I hope that's not a screw 🤣

The attachment creativewinfastscrewed.jpg is no longer available

The Voodoo 2 alone could be worth it though (even though I still find todays prices somewhat ridiculous), if it is the 12MB version and if it works.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 11, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there!

Sorry I was missed this thread for a little time, but now I'm here and explaining.

Two of the three CT6970 Creative Geforce 256 are correctly working, but they have the ELSA Gloria II bios, that has little higher frequencies of work. But all is working great, GPU core elevated to 135mhz and RAM 166mhz to elevate a little the bandwith.

I was trying to flash a original Creative bios, but it's too difficult today to find a Geforce 256 bios and the editor of it.

So I think this is nice as it is.

The heatsink yes, I removed all, I cleaned the chip, applied the thermal paste and found three nice heatsink with fan, connected to the header and work flawlessy.

The last one Gf256 is strange, it works, but only 16MB of Ram is saw by the system, I really don't know why. If only I could flash the original bios... I cannot find the bios chip in that old kind of videocards...

Ps: the Voodoo2 was a 12mb edition yes.. Just sold to about 100 euros.

Love retro-computing, retro-gaming, high-end systems and all about computer-tech.
Love beer, too.

Reply 8 of 11, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chuky wrote on 2022-06-03, 14:39:

I'm not sure what your issue was with the bios but the bios of the Creative 256 DDR and SDR is on the driver cd. I copied it on archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/creative-geforce- … 56-bios-drivers

Thanks a lot, I made a floppy with dos boot and nvflash correctly for that cards.

I will try to flash the original gf256ddr bios and let you know.

Very kind. Thanks.

Love beer, too.

Reply 9 of 11, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chuky wrote on 2022-06-03, 14:39:

I'm not sure what your issue was with the bios but the bios of the Creative 256 DDR and SDR is on the driver cd. I copied it on archive.org.
https://archive.org/details/creative-geforce- … 56-bios-drivers

I'm sorry but under the directory BIOS the are only the CT6941 or CT6971 bios in .exe files. Why EXE files? I cannot flash them through Nvfalsh in DOS mode if not in .bin extension. What can I do?

Love beer, too.

Reply 10 of 11, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The readme file says you run the exe in native Dos and press F to flash the bios. If your goal is to edit the bios I guess you can dump it after you flashed it and then edit your backup and flash the bios again with the edited one.

Reply 11 of 11, by biessea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chuky wrote on 2022-06-04, 01:57:

The readme file says you run the exe in native Dos and press F to flash the bios. If your goal is to edit the bios I guess you can dump it after you flashed it and then edit your backup and flash the bios again with the edited one.

Oh perfect an automated procedure that write "nvflash -- protectoff" and "nvflash -4 -5 -6 bios.rom" for me.

I will try as soon as I can.

Love beer, too.