VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How many of you actually are flight sim enthusiasts and always were? Back in the day I tested almost every PC release in this genre and for some time in the late 90s/early 00s I even redacted the biggest flight-sim related portal here in Poland. I loved how in the 80s and 90s PC flight sims were the most innovative and most demanding games - offering top of the line graphics (ie. textured real 3D graphics years before quake) and sound. I still love old flight sims with simple yet precise vector graphics and some of them you can watch in my latest video on Top Gun-themed PC titles from 86-95. This is only the first part, second with 96-today will follow soon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xb7EaZkCac

I'm always looking for "new" productions I didn't tested before (the recent "discoveries" of mine include Black Knight and Vertigo, but I also love Corncob 3D I discovered some time ago thanks to LGR's video) - if you know some of such niche/low-budget flight sim productions from the 90s - please let me know.

New items (October/November 2022) -> My Items for Sale
I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 2 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2022-06-03, 13:48:

Me and my dad used to play the flight sim Pro Pilot alot when I was a kid. But sadly I haven't played any flight Sims since.

Ah, yes, that was Dynamix' attempt at making general aviation sim which can compete with MS Flight Simulator... there was also another similar flight sim like this for DOS... I remember it had jet propelled Cessna Citation in it, but I can't remember the title right now...

Edit: It was Flight Light and as it seems it was ProPilot's predecessor: https://www.mobygames.com/game/flight-light-plus I remember having a major mindf**k seeing this game for the first time as it looked so similar to the MSFS4 yet something didn't felt right 😉

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 3 of 6, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used to use MSFS2002 and MSFS2004 back in the days mostly in order to get familiar with air navigation.

Can't call myself a flight sim fan, since I'm not into gaming of any kind. For me flight sim, MSFS in particular, was more of a learning tool. Tried some other flight sims like X-Plane and some others, but due to its quality and a large library of add-ons, MSFS for me was an undoubted winner.

Later was considering to get a PPL, but since I wasn't planning to fly at least once in a week (otherwise it is not safe due to skills loss) in the end considered it as a waste of time and money.

Reply 4 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:32:

Later was considering to get a PPL, but since I wasn't planning to fly at least once in a week (otherwise it is not safe due to skills loss) in the end considered it as a waste of time and money.

Yeah... same here... and in Poland you have to fly at least a certain hours a year or you will loose the license otherwise... so unless it was a full time job it's not something I would do. On the other hand there is no such requirement for ultra light aircraft here.

I8v8PGb.jpg

Reply 5 of 6, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HanJammer wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:44:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:32:

Yeah... same here... and in Poland you have to fly at least a certain hours a year or you will loose the license otherwise... so unless it was a full time job it's not something I would do. On the other hand there is no such requirement for ultra light aircraft here.

Yeah, many folks I was in touch with in those days in the end became airline pilots. I was also considering becoming a commercial pilot, but in my era this profession has already lost its prestige and pilots were already more like drivers of big noisy flying buses.

Reply 6 of 6, by HanJammer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-03, 22:55:

Yeah, many folks I was in touch with in those days in the end became airline pilots. I was also considering becoming a commercial pilot, but in my era this profession has already lost its prestige and pilots were already more like drivers of big noisy flying buses.

Yeah... definitely not for me - the same boring routes all the time, commercial airline-related bull...t and the responsibility... and it's like you said - airline pilot = flying bus driver. I was thinking more about being a chopper pilot - for tv station, police... something like that.

I8v8PGb.jpg