VOGONS

Reply 81 of 136, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Schule04 wrote on 2022-04-24, 19:24:

One synth that hasn't been mentioned yet is the M-GS64. I wonder how it compares to the SC88. Same or different DAC?

It's a rackmount version of the 88. Same chip specs as many other Roland products from that time and there's no great need to test it.

Reply 82 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Schule04 wrote on 2022-04-24, 19:24:

One synth that hasn't been mentioned yet is the M-GS64. I wonder how it compares to the SC88. Same or different DAC?

This came up in the Discord last week! It's different from the SC-88, it uses the SC-55mkII DAC. So without hearing, I would guess it sounds "warmer" than the 88. The M-GS64 uses the JV-1080 DAC and the SC-88 the JV-2080 DAC, the 1080 is usually preferred from a "warmth" perspective. Of course all of this is subjective and part of the reason I want actual audio documenting it! 😁

Reply 83 of 136, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Question about units with multiple SC mappings (e.g. SC-55, SC-88, etc). Should we be recording all the different available mappings?

For example, in the document for the SC-88 Pro it only lists the SC-88 and SC-88 Pro mappings. But I'd assume you'd also want the SC-55 mapping recorded?

On a related note, I'm testing all my units. With any luck, I should be able to start recording them shortly. I've got 10 modules to record, so I'm hoping to get all recordings done by the end of next week.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 84 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-05-04, 20:52:

Question about units with multiple SC mappings (e.g. SC-55, SC-88, etc). Should we be recording all the different available mappings?

For example, in the document for the SC-88 Pro it only lists the SC-88 and SC-88 Pro mappings. But I'd assume you'd also want the SC-55 mapping recorded?

On a related note, I'm testing all my units. With any luck, I should be able to start recording them shortly. I've got 10 modules to record, so I'm hoping to get all recordings done by the end of next week.

Yeah, all the mappings. The 88 and Pro are under the 88+ section, the 55 is under the 55 section (not in the document yet, it's still WIP).

Can you post here or send me on Discord all the devices you have again, please? 😀

Reply 85 of 136, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote on 2022-05-05, 07:07:

Can you post here or send me on Discord all the devices you have again, please? 😀

I currently have the following:

SC-55
SC-55mkII
SC-55ST
SC-88
SC-88ST
SC-88 Pro
SC-D70
SD-90
SD-50
CM-500

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 86 of 136, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I got everything set up in my DAW for doing all the recordings. I initially recorded the three MIDI files with my Roland SC-55 and put the link to the files in the Discord channel.

If I get confirmation those recordings are sufficient, I'll start recording the remaining modules.

Do you want full details on the recording setups (e.g. interface, DAW, etc)?

For that matter, is there also a preferred file naming convention?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 87 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Will respond this weekend about the recordings after my busy week ends. 😀

File names don't matter, as long as they're understandable to me. I'll be renaming them later.

Details on DAW not needed, details on interface and method are needed. Thanks for the good questions. 😀

Reply 88 of 136, by Alley_Cat_Jack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are a few variations in the hardware of the SC-55. Each of which has it's own ROMs that are compatable with them. I would recomend including what version of the ROM the SC-55 with the recordings as there are a couple small differences between versions.

I have a SC-55 GS Standard unit which was the first model running version 1.10 ROM, if you need recordings from it.

Reply 89 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Alley_Cat_Jack wrote on 2022-05-17, 18:20:

There are a few variations in the hardware of the SC-55. Each of which has it's own ROMs that are compatable with them. I would recomend including what version of the ROM the SC-55 with the recordings as there are a couple small differences between versions.

I have a SC-55 GS Standard unit which was the first model running version 1.10 ROM, if you need recordings from it.

I mean, a different (EP)ROM just results in different behaviour, not different sound, unless I'm misunderstanding your point, or if there's other hardware differences I'm not familiar with. I'm not familiar with sample ROM's being different within versions of the specific SC-55 device, although I'm certainly not an authority. If you have information relating to your point, please share. 😀

So hopefully that shouldn't be relevant. Happy to take your recordings though! 😀

Reply 90 of 136, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Spikey wrote on 2022-05-11, 07:38:

Will respond this weekend about the recordings after my busy week ends. 😀

Have you had a chance to listen to those recordings yet? I'm all set up to record on the rest of my modules, just need to know if there is anything I need to tweak in my signal chain first.

Details on DAW not needed, details on interface and method are needed.

I'm recording via analog outs from respective sound modules; volume turned to maximum.

Interface is an RME Babyface Pro FS connected via USB through an Intona USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Isolator (to remove ground loop noise). Gain on interface is set to 0 db.

MIDI file is imported into my DAW (Reaper), played back via the DAW while recording on a separate stereo audio track. No effects are applied. Levels in DAW are set to 0 db.

Results are exported to a 24-bit PCM / 96000 kHz WAV file.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2022-05-18, 16:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 91 of 136, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Crap! I've been away and doing other projects and forgot about this. I will try and get these recorded ASAP. To confirm, you are wanting recordings from my...

MT-200
MT-300
SD-20
MT-90u or did you want the MT-90s instead... or both?

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 92 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote on 2022-05-18, 15:58:
Crap! I've been away and doing other projects and forgot about this. I will try and get these recorded ASAP. To confirm, you ar […]
Show full quote

Crap! I've been away and doing other projects and forgot about this. I will try and get these recorded ASAP. To confirm, you are wanting recordings from my...

MT-200
MT-300
SD-20

All good, I've been busy IRL too.

Basically, any Sound Canvas or compatible you own. Both MT-90's are GS compatible, so they should both be included, please. 😀

Reply 93 of 136, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2022-05-19, 08:47:
CrossBow777 wrote on 2022-05-18, 15:58:
Crap! I've been away and doing other projects and forgot about this. I will try and get these recorded ASAP. To confirm, you ar […]
Show full quote

MT-200
MT-300
SD-20

All good, I've been busy IRL too.

Basically, any Sound Canvas or compatible you own. Both MT-90's are GS compatible, so they should both be included, please. 😀

Wilco,

I haven't fired up the 90s since I removed the GoTEK from it to stick into my MT-300. Wonder if it will still work without a drive? I assume it will but will need to verify this. If not, I think I still have the original floppy I removed from it and could stick it back in.

And as I messaged on discord, I did get the recordings done on my MT-300 and SD-20 last night and submitted. Again, I didn't know if you wanted the SD-20 from both of its audio outputs, but I assume that the TOS out uses a different DAC for it as compared to the RCAs but who knows.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 94 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, I didn't know if you wanted the SD-20 from both of its audio outputs, but I assume that the TOS out uses a different DAC for it as compared to the RCAs but who knows.

I think (hope) it's fairly clearly spelled out in the project document, although there have been a number of revisions and I still need to update it further - any device with digital IO we would like recorded via both analog and digital methods. Analog to provide a continuous point of comparison, digital to showcase the (in theory) higher/best quality output of the given device.

BTW, the whole point of digital outputs is that they *don't* use the DAC - the digital signal is simply sent. Thus, no extra conversion - digital signal is generated by the internal sound engine, and then is sent directly via digital outs. Versus, analog audio being converted with DAC from digital to analog, and then sent via analog outs. Ditto on the recording side, instead of your SD-20 converting digital->analog out, and then analog in ->digital on your audio interface, both conversion processes are removed and it is simply digital->digital out, digital in->digital.

(There are some exceptions to this rule, but they are very rare. E.g., Kurzweil K2000/2500, where the digital output comes from the analog output, so there is still a DAC process involved in the digital output.)

I haven't fired up the 90s since I removed the GoTEK from it to stick into my MT-300. Wonder if it will still work without a drive?

I would think so, it's still a sound module regardless of floppies, right? So you just send MIDI in data and it makes sound. Hopefully. 😀

Reply 96 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
garyglitta wrote on 2022-05-21, 09:55:

I have a Roland RAP-10, I think it’s also a sound canvas type device

It's close, it's a SC-7 equivalent, not GS (GM only). However, I'd still be interested in comparison recordings for that device as it uses SC-55 General MIDI samples. I'll likely include it in a special section that has "SC GM only" devices (RAP-10, SC-7 and maybe a few others).

Reply 98 of 136, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It sure is! No need to be sorry, you replied and I appreciate it.

As you can see from the update date, I've been slow to find time for this recently. The project'll get updated in mid June and hopefully I'll start working with the audio people have sent in.

Reply 99 of 136, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently got a Roland SK-50. The infamous Keyboard version of the SC-50.
If its interesting i could record it on my Zoom H6 Audio recorder for (hopefully) good recordings.

FCKGW-RHQQ2