VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 30, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Plasma wrote on 2022-06-02, 23:49:

Funny that he didn't even duplicate the floppy contents. That's the easiest part.

Or for that matter use disks that couldn't be read in the first place.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 23 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dang,

You know though. Years from
Now these fakes may be worth something.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 24 of 30, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mister Xiado wrote on 2022-06-04, 11:41:

When a $400 game costs you multiple days' pay even before taxes, then it stings a lot, and you're going to want to be absolutely certain you're getting what you begrudgingly paid for.

I would suggest that if for an individual, $400 is "multiple days' pay even before taxes", then said individual should not buy any "retro PC game collectible" for that much money, real or fake. But we all have hobbies, and for some owning such a game just to put it on the shelf and admire it, is worth more than an exotic vacation, or some item that will actually improve their living standard...

leileilol wrote on 2022-06-04, 16:30:

Makes you think about all those people demanding access to unresized cover scans on MobyGames allegedly for 'wallpaper' purposes...

Haha, yes, I guess. The one time I wanted such a scan it was precisely to print a CD cover of high quality for a game of mine for which I didn't have a cover. Even though it was not an expensive game, somehow it felt silly to buy a second copy just for the cover.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-06-05, 08:57:

Indeed! These were the original genuine fakes that were used to scam people back in the early 21st century!

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 30, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2022-06-05, 09:32:
I would suggest that if for an individual, $400 is "multiple days' pay even before taxes", then said individual should not buy a […]
Show full quote
Mister Xiado wrote on 2022-06-04, 11:41:

When a $400 game costs you multiple days' pay even before taxes, then it stings a lot, and you're going to want to be absolutely certain you're getting what you begrudgingly paid for.

I would suggest that if for an individual, $400 is "multiple days' pay even before taxes", then said individual should not buy any "retro PC game collectible" for that much money, real or fake. But we all have hobbies, and for some owning such a game just to put it on the shelf and admire it, is worth more than an exotic vacation, or some item that will actually improve their living standard...

leileilol wrote on 2022-06-04, 16:30:

Makes you think about all those people demanding access to unresized cover scans on MobyGames allegedly for 'wallpaper' purposes...

Haha, yes, I guess. The one time I wanted such a scan it was precisely to print a CD cover of high quality for a game of mine for which I didn't have a cover. Even though it was not an expensive game, somehow it felt silly to buy a second copy just for the cover.

Indeed! These were the original genuine fakes that were used to scam people back in the early 21st century!

[serious]fake + time = rarity = collectability.[/serious]

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 27 of 30, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dang,

And of course there have to be some guy years from now who will fake those fakes and will also make some easy money. 😄

Reply 28 of 30, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-05, 17:10:

Dang,

And of course there have to be some guy years from now who will fake those fakes and will also make some easy money. 😄

yes, and the fakes will be of such good quality, they will be better than the originals.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 29 of 30, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

maybe its like getting a fake signed baseball or something but i'm not surprised this happens in things involving disks and the like

collectors that never open the box or use the media could be fooled, could even get a good condition box with some blank media in it all shrink wrapped

if it is never opened then it 'is' a rare valuable collectors item, once opened then it 'is' a cheap fake

you would have to have some knowledge in order to spot a fake

Reply 30 of 30, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2022-06-05, 18:09:
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-05, 17:10:

Dang,

yes, and the fakes will be of such good quality, they will be better than the originals.

Those will be the cheaper ones. Really expensive fakes will be those that will be as bad as the original ones, the more bad sectors will be, the higher will be the price. 🙂