VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Short intro: I was reading the "Bought new retro hardware today" thread and saw someone linking to ebay for something, but on that page I did see some seller with 'rare vintage motherboards' but what did actually catch my eye was how those boards were stored.
Like so:

CT-6ESV pic van ebay.jpg
Filename
CT-6ESV pic van ebay.jpg
File size
322.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
CT-6ESA pic van ebay.jpg
Filename
CT-6ESA pic van ebay.jpg
File size
242.79 KiB
Views
File license

and I thought this was pretty clever. I didn't want to go off-topic over there so I made a new thread here about storing parts.
There are some other threads about storing parts (check the link in my signature on vogonswiki if interested) but these threads are years old by now and I didn't want to bump them. So here I am with a new thread! 😜

Anyway..

At one time, back when I had just started thinking about storage techniques (and before I found those kiwi boxes), I thought of a similar storage system made out of cardboard, but it looked more like this:

storage notsosmart.jpg
Filename
storage notsosmart.jpg
File size
16.11 KiB
Views
File license

I don't have them anymore as I've replaced all of them by now so no pics.

Anyway, I mean it worked, kinda, but it wasn't really a good solution as the cardboard parts penetrated the sides of the box so it made it more cumbersome to store next to something else and sometimes the cardboard bars would be pushed out of the cardboard box side thingy by accident so it wasn't really secure.

This storage system is better and is more like this:

storage smarter.jpg
Filename
storage smarter.jpg
File size
23.09 KiB
Views
File license

The items are stored within the box but also with a layer of air and cardboard which is acting like a buffer or a bumper-alike thingy (seen here as the purple square, everything between the purple box and the outside box is basically something of a crumple zone).

storage smarter - protected.jpg
Filename
storage smarter - protected.jpg
File size
29.8 KiB
Views
File license

This seems like a nice way to save some space (and also to keep your cards safe), especially for people with a large number of cards.

Thus far I've been using kiwi boxes to store and stack, particularly some of these ones which can be semi-closed at the top. These are really sturdy and can be stacked a meter high (literally) and even higher, just don't bump into the tower 😋

Do you guys also use this homemade cardboard storage mechanism I described earlier? Or do you maybe use something else?
Please share with us your clever ways 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 1 of 17, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh yeah... How to store my collection - every vintage computing enthusiast asks himself this question at some point. There may be many ways to do that, but in my opinion there are actually only two options.

This:

13 - ©bruno clergue_BC00408_1440px.jpg
Filename
File size
179.88 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Or this:

DSC_1899.jpg
Filename
DSC_1899.jpg
File size
138.73 KiB
Views
File license

In other words, or you strip down your collection to the size that fits on your shelves or you will need to get a warehouse or at least a storage unit.

Regarding storing motherboards, in addition to mentioned above solution I saw also another option:

Universal Repair Tool Anti static Adjustable LCD screen and PCB motherboard Support Holder Tray 1-1000x1000.png
Filename
Universal Repair Tool Anti static Adjustable LCD screen and PCB motherboard Support Holder Tray 1-1000x1000.png
File size
241.52 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 2 of 17, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For expansion cards I do it similarly, only without the cardboard separators. I don't have so many motherboards (that aren't already in a case) so I can use separate "pizza box" for each.

Also, if I have something on-topic to say, I rather necro a years old relevant thread without a second thought than to start a new one. I think it's better for search results than a dozen different threads about the same thing.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3 of 17, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-06-07, 11:26:

For expansion cards I do it similarly, only without the cardboard separators. I don't have so many motherboards (that aren't already in a case) so I can use separate "pizza box" for each.

Also, if I have something on-topic to say, I rather necro a years old relevant thread without a second thought than to start a new one. I think it's better for search results than a dozen different threads about the same thing.

You're spicy today, ey!

Reply 4 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ThinkpadIL wrote on 2022-06-07, 10:48:
Oh yeah... How to store my collection - every vintage computing enthusiast asks himself this question at some point. There may […]
Show full quote

Oh yeah... How to store my collection - every vintage computing enthusiast asks himself this question at some point. There may be many ways to do that, but in my opinion there are actually only two options.

This:

Or this:

DSC_1899.jpg

In other words, or you strip down your collection to the size that fits on your shelves or you will need to get a warehouse or at least a storage unit.

Regarding storing motherboards, in addition to mentioned above solution I saw also another option:

You mean either get a warehouse of shelves or keep everything in little boxes inside a large box?

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of us here don't rent a storage unit simply to have more space, if only because of the costs involved.
I used to rent a small storage unit years ago but that was more because I was staying at a place I couldn't be staying for long because it was going to be torn down at some point, so I knew I would need to vacate it sooner or later without knowing if I would be able to find a new place in the mean time (and I mean I had no certainty whether or not I'd be able to find a roof to sleep under except for a bridge or something 🤣). That's why I hired a storage unit and from hindsight it was the right decision.

Keeping a collection within your own living space doesn't really cost any extra, unless you purposefully find something bigger because of your collection.

I started out just keeping everything in whatever box I would find, but that ended up with me needing to store lots of boxes of different sizes (and some of these boxes weren't of great quality, so couldn't really stack too many things on top of them) and storing all the items on those buildable shelves is also inefficient because you'd leave most of the room on any shelf empty unless these items are stored in boxes.

This Universal Repair Tool Anti static Adjustable LCD screen and PCB motherboard Support Holder Tray, another pic I found is this one
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H85c25cb607f440078 … g_Q90.jpg_.webp

Mijl-Universele-Anti-Statische-Verstelbare-Lcd-scherm-Pcb-Moederbord-Ondersteuning-Houder-Lade-Voor-Iphone-Samsung-Lcd.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg
Filename
Mijl-Universele-Anti-Statische-Verstelbare-Lcd-scherm-Pcb-Moederbord-Ondersteuning-Houder-Lade-Voor-Iphone-Samsung-Lcd.jpg_Q90.jpg_.jpg
File size
61.48 KiB
Views
File license

which would make it wayyy too small for motherboards (another website gives dimensions of Size:16*17*4.5cm).

I have seen similar items for RAM modules though and I know some people have made custom storage solutions which I think looked rather neat.

Personally I think it's better to store items closed off somewhere, because anything that's laying naked on an open shelf will get dusty over time.

Report spammers here!

Reply 5 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the pizza boxes for motherboards.

The most recent one I found was 2017 (not counting the one with the flooded basement). Personally I rather not necro an old thread especially if the topic is not the same.

Btw, yesterday I thought it might actually be a good idea for me to write a wiki page about this subject but I'm in the middle of some big projects IRL right now so it will take some time. But pics of custom storage solutions of other Vogoners here for this (as of now hypothetical) wiki page would be greatly appreciated 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-07, 11:28:

You're spicy today, ey!

So how do you store your stuff? 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 17, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-08, 06:02:

You're spicy today, ey!

All around me, honestly. Need access to parts on a daily basis. The rest is stored in wrapping, and put in a box.

Reply 8 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-08, 06:52:

You're spicy today, ey!

All around me, honestly. Need access to parts on a daily basis. The rest is stored in wrapping, and put in a box.

So how do you store your parts efficiently while also having them accessible on a daily basis? Pics are welcome 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 17, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-08, 11:47:

So how do you store your parts efficiently while also having them accessible on a daily basis? Pics are welcome 😀

He didn't say 'efficiently' ... I'm picturing stuff piled up all around the place 😁

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 10 of 17, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SteveC wrote on 2022-06-08, 11:56:
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-08, 11:47:

He didn't say 'efficiently' ... I'm picturing stuff piled up all around the place 😁

True that.

Reply 11 of 17, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use labeled, plastic bins. I don't have a ridiculously huge collection (yet), so everything is manageable this way.

If I need to get at anything, it's all readily accessible.

Attachments

• parts_storage_01a.jpg
    Filename
    parts_storage_01a.jpg
    File size
    151.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • parts_storage_01b.jpg
    Filename
    parts_storage_01b.jpg
    File size
    155.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • parts_storage_02a.jpg
    Filename
    parts_storage_02a.jpg
    File size
    162.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • parts_storage_02b.jpg
    Filename
    parts_storage_02b.jpg
    File size
    150.43 KiB
    Views
    File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 12 of 17, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have an entire floor dedicated to my retro gear 😀

Oh wait...I live in a one storey apartment 🙁

That means individual items in AS bags, then mainly in multi-occupancy boxes or on open shelving, with the occasional random pile here and there - I have way too much stuff now and should really nuke the lot down to a few key items, but I'm weak!!!

Reply 13 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shponglefan wrote on 2022-06-08, 12:43:

I use labeled, plastic bins. I don't have a ridiculously huge collection (yet), so everything is manageable this way.

If I need to get at anything, it's all readily accessible.

I've recently also started getting these plastic bins. These are weather proof and easy to carry around and easy to keep clean, but I noticed they can't be stacked very high (the top is too weak to carry a heavy load) and the bottom is a bit narrower than the top, which makes it harder to fit motherboard boxes in neatly (I need to kinda resist wanting to push the box in anyway) but the latter is but a minor nuisance 😜

I reckon by looking at your pics, for stuff like cables these boxes are actually excellent 🙂

What kind of labels are you using? The labels I got years ago all dried out and are literally falling off unless I use something like masking tape to tape the sides to the boxes.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 17, by pixel_workbench

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Plastic bins on a wire shelving rack, inside a closet. Motherboards and expansion cards wrapped in antistatic foam and placed in antistatic bags. This works pretty well for protecting the components, and allows for efficient use of available space.

P_20220608_102754_vHDR_Auto_HP_1.jpg
Filename
P_20220608_102754_vHDR_Auto_HP_1.jpg
File size
552.74 KiB
Views
File license
P_20220608_102910_vHDR_Auto_HP_1.jpg
Filename
P_20220608_102910_vHDR_Auto_HP_1.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license
P_20220608_102829_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Filename
P_20220608_102829_vHDR_Auto.jpg
File size
1.47 MiB
Views
File license
P_20220608_103742_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
Filename
P_20220608_103742_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg
File size
853.76 KiB
Views
File license

My Videos | Website
P2 400 unlocked / Asus P3B-F / Voodoo3 3k / MX300 + YMF718

Reply 15 of 17, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do I store mine?

1 word answer - badly.

More in depth answer - organized chaos! 🤣

There's literally drawers full of stuff, in multiple rooms of the house. Then a pile of boxes with motherboards etc, on top of a cooler box containing a random array of parts & cables. The rest is piled high in my loft. It can be tricky finding stuff sometimes, but pretty much everything I use regularly is stored in convenient places.

I'd love to be organised and sort my stuff as per the various pics in this thread, but my laziness prevails and I'll probably never do it. 🤣

Reply 16 of 17, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-08, 12:51:

What kind of labels are you using? The labels I got years ago all dried out and are literally falling off unless I use something like masking tape to tape the sides to the boxes.

I user a Brother label maker for all my labels. They work well and the labels have retained their adhesion for years.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 17 of 17, by ThinkpadIL

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-08, 05:54:

You mean either get a warehouse of shelves or keep everything in little boxes inside a large box?

I mean if you have a large collection and a life, then you'd better find an outside-house storage solution. Otherwise it's worth to think about stripping down your collection to the size that fits on your shelves without transforming your living space into a junk yard. I certainly do not judge collectors who have their collection spread all over the house but it is not my way of storing things.