VOGONS

Reply 200 of 253, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ooh My Panasonic Toughbook is a Pentium M 900MHz and it gets 57fps stock (On Windows XP) so might be worth experimenting with, but it's just Intel GME graphics...

Has anyone compared gone to the effort of comparing the same setup but with Win 95/98/Me/2000/XP etc?

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 201 of 253, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Necrodude wrote on 2022-05-14, 09:34:
The latest submission from Doogie with 392,3 fps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpk81l6aXMo and a Commentary explaining the mul […]
Show full quote

The latest submission from Doogie with 392,3 fps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpk81l6aXMo
and a Commentary explaining the multiplier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDOl04hvsRw

Highest score at the moment.
#1 Doogie with 392,3 fps on his Athlon 850 with a geforce 256 DDR
#2 Doogie with 340,1 fps on his Athlon 846 with a geforce 256 DDR
#3 Svensktiger with 302 fps on his Athlon 850 with his Geforce 256 DDR
#4 Svensktiger 263,9fps on his P3 900 with a Geforce 256 DDR
#5 mwd with 156,9 fps on his Dell Pentium III 866 System with a TNT2 M64
#6 XTRINO with 104,7 fps on hos Pentium III 866 System TNT2 Ultra
#7 JizzMasta with 46 fps on his K6-3+ System Geforce 256 SDR
#8 Seraph with 52,7 fps

Liked the video 😀.
What is the max allowed DDR frequency ? Doogie mentioned 170/340 which is max possible for the FSB at 5x, but memory coud certainly hit more depending on the ratio selected.

Reply 202 of 253, by doogie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, to clarify: with the Athlon the maximum clock speed allowed is 850MHz - so 170x5 is the fastest we can get the memory to go, 1:1 with the front side bus. I have not messed with getting the memory to run faster than the FSB, but I have yet to read anything that shows that there might be more performance to be gained from such a config.

Reply 203 of 253, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm playing currently with ASUS A7N8X-E. Best it can do is 5.5 x 154 [847MHz]. It doesn't boot with 5x regardless of FSB or memory settings. But it can push memory to 133% of FSB. I'll test to see the difference. Board comes with MCP-T southbridge, and I'm curious to see how nvidia's SoundStorm will handle this scenario.

Reply 204 of 253, by pa1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
doogie wrote on 2022-05-16, 05:45:

Yes, to clarify: with the Athlon the maximum clock speed allowed is 850MHz - so 170x5 is the fastest we can get the memory to go, 1:1 with the front side bus. I have not messed with getting the memory to run faster than the FSB, but I have yet to read anything that shows that there might be more performance to be gained from such a config.

Well ignoring CHIPSET the only time I seen asymmetrical ratio where ram runs faster then the fsb actually being better is IF there is an IGP involved.
This is probably true for NF2 with IGP assuming IGP is used, dualchannel improves IGP performance a lot from revies I seen but not CPU much if anything from what I can see (my boards dont have IGP).
I think my VIA C3 800 that is 133 fsb with DDR400 and has unicrome graphics is faster with DDR400 then say DDR266 (effectively 1:1 ratio in clocks) if IGP is used.

Every other chipset with dedicated GPU 1:1 is always faster from my testing, lower latency if the clocks are 1:1 and synchronized.

But well testing is always needed to make sure that is always the case.

Website, YouTube, Discord, Gallery

Reply 205 of 253, by pa1983

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stef80 wrote on 2022-05-16, 07:18:

I'm playing currently with ASUS A7N8X-E. Best it can do is 5.5 x 154 [847MHz]. It doesn't boot with 5x regardless of FSB or memory settings. But it can push memory to 133% of FSB. I'll test to see the difference. Board comes with MCP-T southbridge, and I'm curious to see how nvidia's SoundStorm will handle this scenario.

Yea I have the same issue with my NF2 board, idk if its a limitation of the Thunderbird 1400 or the board BUT its not the only board I have that cant do all multipliers. One cant do 9x if i recall on Athlon XP's and from som research it seems very common that most boards have some issues with some multipliers actually.

Website, YouTube, Discord, Gallery

Reply 209 of 253, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The image quality is the same as his avatar 😁

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 210 of 253, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-08, 03:17:

I'm not done yet, but here's where I'm at...

That's gotta be some serious modding of the engine.
I can barely reach that even without sound, and sound takes at-least 5-10% off the score.
Tho I suppose there could be some hardware trick I have missed.
Very curious to see your setup =)

Reply 212 of 253, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2022-06-08, 14:37:
That's gotta be some serious modding of the engine. I can barely reach that even without sound, and sound takes at-least 5-10% o […]
Show full quote
Meatball wrote on 2022-06-08, 03:17:

I'm not done yet, but here's where I'm at...

That's gotta be some serious modding of the engine.
I can barely reach that even without sound, and sound takes at-least 5-10% off the score.
Tho I suppose there could be some hardware trick I have missed.
Very curious to see your setup =)

I"ll be submitting officially next week. I have a few more things to test beforehand.

Reply 213 of 253, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Unfortunately I don't have time to join in the fun, so I'll leave some tips I know to help those who are participating.

Many years ago I had a small site about mods and hacks to run lowspec games, it was mainly focused on running games on the worst vgas like intel and sis/via.

I won't mention the most common tweaks, as they have already been mentioned in other posts.

Open the game's textures, and reduce them to a ridiculous size, like 16x16, 8x8, or 4x4, you'll get something like a nintendo 64.

Disable all effects that use alpha channel.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a way to disable animations in quake.

Use Windows XP, and disable EVERYTHING that is not needed for the game to work. It is possible to leave the ram consumption below 32mb with tweaks easily found out there.

I didn't see (or didn't pay attention to) rules about macs. Macs are much more effective at processing math, and power per clock. A g4 800mhz, roughly equivalent to a Pentium 3 1400 or P4 1600mhz. The only problem with macs, are the poor graphics drivers. But quake is from iD, and iD used to polish and take every last drop of performance out of macs, so that won't be a problem.

I don't know if this would be cheating, but there were some multi gpu video cards in the past, they were designed to use multiple monitors, but there were modified drivers that made them work as SLI (with a cost of this management falling on the processor).

Have your machine on a table, without the case, with a ventilator.

Take a look at my blog: http://rikintosh.blogspot.com
My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfRUbxkBmEihBEkIK32Hilg

Reply 215 of 253, by kitten.may.cry

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-06-08, 15:50:
Unfortunately I don't have time to join in the fun, so I'll leave some tips I know to help those who are participating. […]
Show full quote

Unfortunately I don't have time to join in the fun, so I'll leave some tips I know to help those who are participating.

Many years ago I had a small site about mods and hacks to run lowspec games, it was mainly focused on running games on the worst vgas like intel and sis/via.

I won't mention the most common tweaks, as they have already been mentioned in other posts.

Open the game's textures, and reduce them to a ridiculous size, like 16x16, 8x8, or 4x4, you'll get something like a nintendo 64.

Use Windows XP, and disable EVERYTHING that is not needed for the game to work. It is possible to leave the ram consumption below 32mb with tweaks easily found out there.

I didn't see (or didn't pay attention to) rules about macs. Macs are much more effective at processing math, and power per clock. A g4 800mhz, roughly equivalent to a Pentium 3 1400 or P4 1600mhz. The only problem with macs, are the poor graphics drivers. But quake is from iD, and iD used to polish and take every last drop of performance out of macs, so that won't be a problem.

I don't know if this would be cheating, but there were some multi gpu video cards in the past, they were designed to use multiple monitors, but there were modified drivers that made them work as SLI (with a cost of this management falling on the processor).

GT6600 Dual, what a beast that thing was.

Reply 216 of 253, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
kitten.may.cry wrote on 2022-06-08, 18:30:
Unfortunately I don't have time to join in the fun, so I'll leave some tips I know to help those who are participating. […]
Show full quote

GT6600 Dual, what a beast that thing was.

I had a 4870 x2 (or 4890 x2, I don't remember). This was a portal to hell, the computer couldn't run for more than 15 minutes with the lid closed. That thing, coupled with the Phenom, made my room hot. On the other hand, he spent several years running games at maximum quality.

Reply 217 of 253, by DarthNvader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Show full quote

I built Netradiant for the macOS, but I have no clue how to get it to open the games texture?

Reply 218 of 253, by Rikintosh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DarthNvader wrote on 2022-06-09, 13:27:
Show full quote

I built Netradiant for the macOS, but I have no clue how to get it to open the games texture?

you need to first find out how the texture was compressed / what format. Opensource games usually have documentation explaining this.

Reply 219 of 253, by DarthNvader

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rikintosh wrote on 2022-06-09, 16:56:
DarthNvader wrote on 2022-06-09, 13:27:
Show full quote

you need to first find out how the texture was compressed / what format. Opensource games usually have documentation explaining this.

Ok, I was hoping this was something you had done before with Quake3. Anyway I can't seem to properly install Quake3 support into NetRadiant, so I have to figure that out first:

https://gitlab.com/xonotic/netradiant