VOGONS

Common searches

Crysis Setup Oddities

Topic actions

First post, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been testing out Crysis on Vista 64-bit. Ran into some strange behavior that doesn't appear to have been discussed online. Thought I'd document it here for reference:
- Launching the game using the 'Games Explorer' Crysis icon will launch the 64-bit exe.
- Launching the game by clicking 'Play' on the DVD launcher menu will launch the 32-bit exe (not sure if this can be corrected).
- With patch 1.2 installed (latest patch), the game refuses to launch fullscreen in Dx10 mode; it will always boot windowed. This issue does not occur in Dx9 mode and was introduced with patch 1.2; base 1.0 and patch 1.1 are unaffected and will launch properly in fullscreen in Dx10. The workaround for this on Nvidia hardware is to force vsync through the control panel. With vsync forced, the game will launch fullscreen in Dx10 mode on patch 1.2.
- Installing patch 1.2 breaks the graphical effect in which oil pools on the ground after an oil drum is pierced by a bullet. On base 1.0 and patch 1.1, the oil pools as you would expect but with patch 1.2, the oil pool decals are not aligned properly and appear to clip through the ground. I always loved this feature of the game, how the oil drains realistically, so it's a shame the latest patch breaks this.
- Helicopter rotors don't spin properly when using the 64-bit exe; the rotor blades appear to slow down intermittently rather than spin at a consistent speed. This issue does not affect the 32-bit exe.
- Anti-Aliasing causes artifacting in vegetation; with AA enabled, as you move through areas of vegetation, there are these little white specks of light that appear briefly on foliage. On occasion, the white spots are so big and bright that they look like muzzle flash from enemy weapons. This artifacting does not occur with AA disabled. It's also worth noting that the game readme mentions that AA can cause atmospheric effects to display incorrectly. The readme doesn't go into detail as to which effects are affected, but it seems like AA does not play nice with Cryengine 2.
- Texture streaming is disabled when using the 64-bit exe. MASSIVE improvement in texture quality as a result. This is mentioned in the game readme, thankfully.
- Texture streaming can be disabled when using the 32-bit exe with the 'r_TexturesStreaming' command.

Last edited by Rodney Betters on 2022-05-21, 03:18. Edited 6 times in total.

Reply 1 of 31, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going through my files and noticed this which I've never tested
https://github.com/ccomrade/c1-launcher

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had run Crysis 1 on my AMD system on Windows 10, and it needed the Windows 7 compatibility settings to launch, despite not having the 3DNow! code. Now on Windows 11, it doesn't run anymore. This C1 Launcher helped out, but I wonder how Crysis ran without it on Win10 on AMD Ryzen and without a CrySystem.dll tweak to see the PC as an Intel?

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 4 of 31, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rodney Betters wrote:

but it seems like AA does not play nice with Cryengine 2.

Crysis applies own edge anti-aliasing on foliage to reduce shimmer effect. You can disable it.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 5 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-02, 15:57:

I had run Crysis 1 on my AMD system on Windows 10, and it needed the Windows 7 compatibility settings to launch, despite not having the 3DNow! code. Now on Windows 11, it doesn't run anymore. This C1 Launcher helped out, but I wonder how Crysis ran without it on Win10 on AMD Ryzen and without a CrySystem.dll tweak to see the PC as an Intel?

Only Crysis 1 32bit incorrectly detects 3DNow! on AMD CPUs, the 64-bit executable doesn't use 3DNow! but in the past I had to activate Windows Vista sp2 (or sp1, I don't remember) compatibility mode. On Windows 10 with AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU I can assure you that it works (without modifications or launchers), I have not tried on Windows 11 but I guess so.

EDIT
I just tried it on Windows 11 and it works: crysis.exe (64 bit) with Windows Vista compatibility mode (without it, it makes black screen and crashes).

Reply 6 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-03, 21:54:
Only Crysis 1 32bit incorrectly detects 3DNow! on AMD CPUs, the 64-bit executable doesn't use 3DNow! but in the past I had to ac […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-02, 15:57:

Only Crysis 1 32bit incorrectly detects 3DNow! on AMD CPUs, the 64-bit executable doesn't use 3DNow! but in the past I had to activate Windows Vista sp2 (or sp1, I don't remember) compatibility mode. On Windows 10 with AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU I can assure you that it works (without modifications or launchers), I have not tried on Windows 11 but I guess so.

EDIT
I just tried it on Windows 11 and it works: crysis.exe (64 bit) with Windows Vista compatibility mode (without it, it makes black screen and crashes).

You are correct, it should work. But the ones I find, for v1.2, looks for MSVCR80.DLL which has been installed multiple times on my machine. The confusion probably grew because archive "working no-CDs" and I had put the 32-bit ones there, and how did I use them is something I can't recall.

Edit: Going throught that folder, the 32 bit executable would crash but it crashed CrySystemD3D10 or D3D9 DLLs. After some extensive DxWnd profiling and skipping exceptiona, I was able to launch a very broken version of the game on DX9, I will test more later.

Reply 7 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-04, 15:02:

You are correct, it should work. But the ones I find, for v1.2, looks for MSVCR80.DLL which has been installed multiple times on my machine. The confusion probably grew because archive "working no-CDs" and I had put the 32-bit ones there, and how did I use them is something I can't recall.

Edit: Going throught that folder, the 32 bit executable would crash but it crashed CrySystemD3D10 or D3D9 DLLs. After some extensive DxWnd profiling and skipping exceptiona, I was able to launch a very broken version of the game on DX9, I will test more later.

There is no reason to play with the 32-bit executable unless you want to play it on an old PC, which I doubt will be able to exceed 25-30 fps with Crysis (in low details). To run the 32-bit version, you need to download a fix for AMD CPUs found in PCGamingWiki (I think it bypasses the check for 3DNow!), But I see no reason to do so. The 64-bit version (it should be v1.21 but I'm not sure) also works correctly in Windows 11 with Windows Vista compatibility mode and with AMD CPU, so... what you are doing is masochistic 😁

Reply 8 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-04, 15:30:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-04, 15:02:

There is no reason to play with the 32-bit executable unless you want to play it on an old PC, which I doubt will be able to exceed 25-30 fps with Crysis (in low details). To run the 32-bit version, you need to download a fix for AMD CPUs found in PCGamingWiki (I think it bypasses the check for 3DNow!), But I see no reason to do so. The 64-bit version (it should be v1.21 but I'm not sure) also works correctly in Windows 11 with Windows Vista compatibility mode and with AMD CPU, so... what you are doing is masochistic 😁

I tried the 32 bit fix and it doesn't give any sound. I could play the 64 bit version of v1
2.1 but 2 problems: crysis64.exe with vista comp doesn't work ans crysis.exe has securom issues that I haven't been able to fix with another executable

Reply 9 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-04, 17:07:

I tried the 32 bit fix and it doesn't give any sound. I could play the 64 bit version of v1
2.1 but 2 problems: crysis64.exe with vista comp doesn't work ans crysis.exe has securom issues that I haven't been able to fix with another executable

I don't remember having audio problems with the fix for the 32 bit version, and yes you should have crysis.exe (64 bit) v1.21 (the latest version) without SecuROM. I guess there is some working no-cd, or you need to find an already unprotected version (GOG).

Reply 10 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-04, 17:26:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-04, 17:07:

I don't remember having audio problems with the fix for the 32 bit version, and yes you should have crysis.exe (64 bit) v1.21 (the latest version) without SecuROM. I guess there is some working no-cd, or you need to find an already unprotected version (GOG).

CLauncher does the work so yes, I will live with it. Maybe someday one can create a "proper" moder no-CD for the game with only the DRM less stuff.

Reply 12 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-09, 15:50:

I could share my executable, if it's not against the rules.

I was able to run it, using Crysis64.exe and your stuff but it runs 1 out of 15 times. Crash module is CrySystem.DLL 😒

Reply 13 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-09, 18:46:

I was able to run it, using Crysis64.exe and your stuff but it runs 1 out of 15 times. Crash module is CrySystem.DLL 😒

You must run Crysis.exe (not Crysis64.exe) with Windows Vista compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, try installing MS VC++ 2005 x86 and x64. If it still doesn't work, maybe you have corrupt files or there is something wrong with the operating system.

Reply 14 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-09, 18:52:
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-09, 18:46:

You must run Crysis.exe (not Crysis64.exe) with Windows Vista compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, try installing MS VC++ 2005 x86 and x64. If it still doesn't work, maybe you have corrupt files or there is something wrong with the operating system.

Again want to hear something funny? I checked the PM, downloaded and installed that VC++ I missed and the game, with DxWnd ran on Crysis.exe for the first time. Then I exit and it no longer runs. With DxWnd it says "Could not launch the main application" and without it still complains for the lack of MSVCR80.DLL, which also shouldn't happen.

Edit: A GOG executable, hmm?

Reply 15 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Kappa971 I read many Steam threads where the executable was published as well. They bypassed a CrySystemD3D10.dll crash from Crysis.exe in Bin64 (which still happens with Bin32 and Bin64 doesn't find VC++) but it was soon followed by a CrySystem.dll crash in Crysis64.exe.

Upon inspection, I found your executable for Bin64 is 32-bit, but Crysis64.exe is 64-bit. Actually I assumed the other way around as the 32-bit executable is significantly larger in size but is labelled as a SONYDADC launcher (launchers are usually smaller but it's opposite here).

I will search for a try a GOG distribition for testing to see what's wrong

Reply 16 of 31, by Kappa971

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-09, 19:42:

@Kappa971 I read many Steam threads where the executable was published as well. They bypassed a CrySystemD3D10.dll crash from Crysis.exe in Bin64 (which still happens with Bin32 and Bin64 doesn't find VC++) but it was soon followed by a CrySystem.dll crash in Crysis64.exe.

Upon inspection, I found your executable for Bin64 is 32-bit, but Crysis64.exe is 64-bit. Actually I assumed the other way around as the 32-bit executable is significantly larger in size but is labelled as a SONYDADC launcher (launchers are usually smaller but it's opposite here).

Crysis.exe somehow forwards to Crysis64.exe, so the game started by Crysis.exe is 64-bit (it also runs in Directx10 to confirm this). I tried to run Crysis64.exe directly, but it doesn't work in any way. Try playing with compatibility settings, try running Crysis.exe in Windows Vista SP2 mode (I ran it 4 times in a row and it works). Also check "Disable full screen optimizations" otherwise the game runs at 50hz.
The MSVCR80.DLL error is related to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable. Try uninstalling it, restart your PC and reinstall it, in this case I think it's a Windows problem.
Also, what PC do you have? I have a 1st gen AMD Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU (immortal GTX 1060). Maybe you have an AMD GPU? I have never had crashes with CrySystemD3D10.dll and CrySystem.dll

Attachments

Reply 17 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kappa971 wrote on 2022-06-09, 21:28:
Crysis.exe somehow forwards to Crysis64.exe, so the game started by Crysis.exe is 64-bit (it also runs in Directx10 to confirm t […]
Show full quote

Crysis.exe somehow forwards to Crysis64.exe, so the game started by Crysis.exe is 64-bit (it also runs in Directx10 to confirm this). I tried to run Crysis64.exe directly, but it doesn't work in any way. Try playing with compatibility settings, try running Crysis.exe in Windows Vista SP2 mode (I ran it 4 times in a row and it works). Also check "Disable full screen optimizations" otherwise the game runs at 50hz.
The MSVCR80.DLL error is related to the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 redistributable. Try uninstalling it, restart your PC and reinstall it, in this case I think it's a Windows problem.
Also, what PC do you have? I have a 1st gen AMD Ryzen CPU and Nvidia GPU (immortal GTX 1060). Maybe you have an AMD GPU? I have never had crashes with CrySystemD3D10.dll and CrySystem.dll

We have pretty similar systems, me having a 1st Gen Ryzen as well as a GTX 1050Ti. The CrySystemD3D10.DLL in Bin32 causes illegal instructions that renders a very broken game. What I read in Steam was for Bin64, but probably they had a problematic HW too?

Anyways, the last MSVC problem I remember was for MSI Afterburner, it didn't run regardless of having MSVC installed by itself, it fixed itself last week. Also MS Edge (off-topic though) couldn't open PDFs since April and it was fixed in the start of this month.

But anyways, the first thing I need is for Crysis.exe to start. Besides my PC being able to support a large catalogue of applications old and new, I am disappointed this game's behaviour.

A similar problem occurs that I can't run DOS programs on VDM in folders containing the term "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", it just crashes there. Overall there is a large variety of problem I am having on Windows 11, that I can't explain, but it's expected. I will try to see if it happens for Windows games as well.

Last edited by BEEN_Nath_58 on 2022-06-10, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-10, 07:58:
We have pretty similar systems, me having a 1st Gen Ryzen as well as a GTX 1050Ti. The CrySystemD3D10.DLL in Bin32 causes illega […]
Show full quote
Crysis.exe somehow forwards to Crysis64.exe, so the game started by Crysis.exe is 64-bit (it also runs in Directx10 to confirm t […]
Show full quote

We have pretty similar systems, me having a 1st Gen Ryzen as well as a GTX 1050Ti. The CrySystemD3D10.DLL in Bin32 causes illegal instructions that renders a very broken game. What I read in Steam was for Bin64, but probably they had a problematic HW too?

Anyways, the last MSVC problem I remember was for MSI Afterburner, it didn't run regardless of having MSVC installed by itself, it fixed itself last week. Also MS Edge (off-topic though) couldn't open PDFs since April and it was fixed in the start of this month.

But anyways, the first thing I need is for Crysis.exe to start. Besides my PC being able to support a large catalogue of applications old and new, I am disappointed this game's behaviour.

A similar problem occurs that I can't run DOS programs on VDM in folders containing the term "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86)", it just crashes there. Overall there is a large variety of problem I am having on Windows 11, that I can't explain, but it's expected. I will try to see if it happens for Windows games as well.

And more news, I took the game from my default D:/Program Files (86)/Electronic Arts/Crytek to D:/Crysis and the game is now running after 2 times not finding MSVCR80.DLL., but with just your executable

I need someone to explain the sorcery here.

Edit: And it no longer runs.

Reply 19 of 31, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-10, 08:06:
And more news, I took the game from my default D:/Program Files (86)/Electronic Arts/Crytek to D:/Crysis and the game is now run […]
Show full quote
BEEN_Nath_58 wrote on 2022-06-10, 07:58:
We have pretty similar systems, me having a 1st Gen Ryzen as well as a GTX 1050Ti. The CrySystemD3D10.DLL in Bin32 causes illega […]
Show full quote

And more news, I took the game from my default D:/Program Files (86)/Electronic Arts/Crytek to D:/Crysis and the game is now running after 2 times not finding MSVCR80.DLL., but with just your executable

I need someone to explain the sorcery here.

Edit: And it no longer runs.

GOG version:
file.php?mode=view&id=139254

Attachments