VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was wondering if you remember playing any game mods for old games.

I remember I enjoyed a multiplayer mod for aliens versus predator 1, it was not perfect but I always loved campaign coop. I don't remember what it was called.

Quake 1 had a lot of mods, one weird one I remember was Quake rally.

Reply 1 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AIX2 for BF2 😁

And of course all the mods for TA, mostly Total Mayhem.

And there was also a (very buggy but hilariously fun) coop mod for FEAR, but I forgotten the name.

And Skyrim mods, too many to name 😋

And ffolkes unlocks mod for 2142

I've also tried some mods for RTW, but ended up creating my own mod (mostly things like unlocked all temples for julii, editing generals character traits to be inheritable including otherwise unobtainable traits like intelligent) and at some point expanded the campaign map to include like half of scandinavia.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 12, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a lot of UT2003 mods I played that I remember a lot but can no longer find said versions of anylonger; Frag Ops in particular. And the very early releases of Troopers: Dawn of Destiny.

There's also a lot of UT99 mods I played over the years that are also not so easy to find: GODZ, Pear Man, Forward Edge Battle Arena, Unreal Fortress, UnLoaded, and some I don't remember the names of...

For Quake 1 I continue to play Future vs. Fantasy, used to also play Rune Quake when I cared about deathmatch.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 12, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

played it only once and very briefly, but yes, that was a thing:
https://doom.fandom.com/wiki/Aliens_TC

Also, I'd assume that the obvious ones like counter-strike don't count as "old games" in this context, but I spent copious amounts of time on the early "Day of Defeat" betas. Those took some rather bold gameplay turns and half the media was lifted directly from "Saving Private Ryan" and HBO's "Band of Brother" which had to be dropped for the retail issues. Good times.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 12, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-09, 19:24:

I remember I enjoyed a multiplayer mod for aliens versus predator 1, it was not perfect but I always loved campaign coop. I don't remember what it was called.

There was this mod that made the warthog gatteling gun rockets

It also make the sniper shot gun its rounds

You could walk on walls

And the flame thrower dispensed cloaking boxes.

It was glorious.

If you know where I can get that again lemme know 🤣

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 5 of 12, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2022-06-09, 19:24:

i remember an x men quake game, more and expansion though as not a 'community' mod

lots of sort-of conversions or duke3d too, many good maps and ideas in amongst many more poor (but sometimes funny) maps

Reply 6 of 12, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ThreeWave CTF Quake
Action Quake 2
Action Half-Life
Counter-Strike
Day of Defeat

Those were the main ones I remember playing back in the day.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 12, by RetroGamer4Ever

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

HL had some great mods back in the day. They Hunger, USS Darkstar, The Awakening, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and the list goes on. That and HL2 were the only games where I really got into mods. For HL2, the Cinematic Mod is the only one I ever installed.

Reply 8 of 12, by Shnur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some 15-20 years ago we were manually modding Civilization save files in hex to change single character and raise the difficulty level above maximum 😀
Standard settings were not enough enymore after hundreds of hours of gameplay..

Reply 9 of 12, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Mistake of Pythagoras" for HL2 was quite memorable to me:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/mistake-of-pythagoras

There are levels with impressive architecture and the whole mod is just so different from anything I've ever played.
You get attacked by massive triangles. That's all I'm saying.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 12 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One other game mod that is very memorable to me is a Balanced Annihilation mod called Chicken Defense.
I modded both BA and BA:CD, BA with up to 5 layered tech trees (so we had a vehicle plant, advanced vehicle plant, high-tech vehicle plant, advanced high-tech vehicle plant and 1 layer on top of that one, too, and each tech level had a construction vehicle and also an assist buggy which could build the previous tech but was more mobile) and mutant space chickens including flying queens and some slowly advancing chickens with over 1m hp (ordinary flash tank has something like 100hp?), flying carpetbombing supernukebombers, tanks with anti-laser shields and hundreds upon hundreds of cannon fodder units being send to their doom by the minute with several factories spamming kbots, tanks and planes continuously, everything buildassisted by hundreds of nanoturrets, rows of advanced metal making fusion reactors, rows of supernuke silos we kept in case of emergencies, EMP silos, gigantic flak systems, it was the ultimate fragfest in RTS.

We'd build multiple layers of defense along with multiple groups of mobile units to quickly plug any gaps that might get eaten into our defenses. I'd take half the defensive frontier and a friend would defend the other half. At some point we'd knew exactly the most efficient way to fill in our hinterlands with economic structures, nano turrets, nuke and EMP silos, AA and shielding (along with a couple antinukes just in case) and the front part was just factories and paths for the units to clear. We'd have multiple layers of defensive structures usually tall structures behind with smaller structures in front, somewhat reminiscent to a pike wall of antiquity. Including nuke cannons, superlasers, vulcans, VL silos and the standard mix of lasers and gatling guns. All of the factories and defensive structures were all shielded with an allotment of shields, anti-bombing shields, plasma deflectors, anti-laser shields and rows of nano turrets to repair anything damaged. Then gaps in the defenses for our unitspam to pass through, again rows of AA, repair units, in front the fodder which we'd continuously resupply and larger more expensive units behind. We'd keep several hundred carpet bombing nukebombers and flying fortresses as a tactical rapid response unit for quick damage control.

Sometimes we'd spam rows of excess nukes into our own front lines just to thin out the relentlessly attacking chickens somewhat regardless of how many hundreds of our own units we'd vaporize in the process, especially if we had entire radarblobs of fresh replenishments anyway.
Of course we disabled map deformation because otherwise the cratering would be too insane after 9 hours 🤣. And because all of this violence would even make my Phenom II x4 crawl to a measly 3 or 4 FPS xD

I pulled the units I used for this mod from anywhere, mostly from TAU but also from some other mods and sources because I suck at 3D modelling (but I know how to enlarge and retexture models in some cases). Obviously never publicly released because I think 'borrowing' other peoples work and then re-uploading as your own work is ehm...not very nice to do. 100% private mod but oh god it was awesome!

One game of modded chicken defense could last up to 9 hours easily, so we'd plan weeks ahead what exact day we were gonna play a game of chicken defense xD
We'd usually get food in advance, plan the entire saturday empty and around noon we'd start....this one game of modded chicken defense 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!