VOGONS

AMD issues with dgVoodoo

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by Mondodimotori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ravagino wrote on 2022-03-05, 16:12:
Hello. since a few months i can't start any more games with dgvoodoo2 if i use a current AMD GPU driver. the last working dri […]
Show full quote

Hello.
since a few months i can't start any more games with dgvoodoo2 if i use a current AMD GPU driver.
the last working driver is 21.5.2.. but i always have to reinstall this after 1-2 days if i want to play games with dgvodoo2. it seems to me that something is updating itself even though i have disabled windows driver updates.
newer drivers do not work from the start. my system: AMD RX 5700 with Windows 10 home.
I always use the DX12 API because the older ones never worked with my GPU without graphics issues.

I'll show you a few screenshots from the event viewer.
I also upload the dbug log.

I hope that someone has a tip how I can solve this problem.

Hello there, new member but long time users of the tool.

I must report that, even with the most recent AMD drivers, the games crashes on startup with DX12 (no matter if 12 features or 11 features).
I'm also on a 5700, and I'm pretty sure I was able to launch them with no problems at the beginning of the year.

The games launch with DX11, but of course there is the texture bug that it's alredy known and that has no easy solution.

This means that on AMD GPUs the tools is unusable.

Tested games: Donald Duck: Goin Quackers; Sheep, Dog'n'Wolf

EDIT: I may try to downgrade drivers, but it's not something I'm really willing to do for a couple of games. Next time I may get an nVidia GPU.

EDIT 2: I can confirm that with AMD Adrenaline Driver 22.3.2 the games launch and work fine with DX12.

Reply 21 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

(I moved the affected posts here because they are not about a dgVoodoo regressive bug but related to AMD)

The newest adrenaline is 22.5.2 if I see it right. So, D3D12 doesn't work with that but it does with downgrading 22.3.2?

Reply 22 of 25, by Mondodimotori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-06-13, 14:42:

(I moved the affected posts here because they are not about a dgVoodoo regressive bug but related to AMD)

The newest adrenaline is 22.5.2 if I see it right. So, D3D12 doesn't work with that but it does with downgrading 22.3.2?

I almost missed that it was moved here and was commenting again on the other thread.

I have another update.

After 1 hr of doing something else with the PC, the games on AMD driver 22.3.2 stopped working again with DX12. I don't have any automatic updates enabled, so I don't have any idea of what could've happened.

I'll try and revert to an even previous version on wich I am sure they used to work, the 21.12.1 (because I completed a full game with the tool), and EDIT this post again with updates. I'll try the games both immediately after installing the driver and after a few hours with the PC running.

EDIT 1: I don't know if it's because I lingered for 5 minutes or if it's because I spent those 5 minutes enabling a couple of option I needed in the driver, but now even with 21.12.1 the games crash on startup with DX12. But those options I enabled have always been enabled on my machine. I'll try and revert to even older drivers that I tested earlier this afternoon (the previously mentioned 21.5.2), and work my way up from there. I'm tired of having to use DDU.

EDIT 2: for now the 21.5.2 version seems to be working. Except of the fact that now it's the Radeon Software that refuses to launch, so I cannot edit any settings in the driver. I'll try to go up a few versions to see if the games still works.

EDIT 3: I installed the 21.10.3 and, after launching immediately the game, it worked. Then I opened the driver, set up the "gaming" option, and the game stopped working. I reverted the options to factory and the game started again.
I think I pinpointed the culprit with a process of elimination: The "Radeon Anti-Lag" option. I don't know why, I always had it enabled since I bought this GPU 2 years and a half ago, never had this problem with the Tool, but now it does. When I enable "Radeon Anti-Lag" the games crashes with DX12. Disabling it fixes the issue.
I have created a profile for each game inside the driver, disabling "Anti-Lag" only for those I use the tool with. I'll now try to update to the latest drivers and disable "Anti-lag" with it too.
I think that, with "Anti-Lag" disabled, the games should still run even with the latest drivers.

EDIT 4 and final EDIT: I've installed the latest suggested driver (not the optional one). It's the "22.5.1" from 28 of April 2022 and, by disabling "Radeon Anti-Lag" for the games that uses dgvoodoo2 (by creating a profile), the games launch and functions perfectly. Then he is the culprit.
I don't know what you can do with this information, but I'm pretty sure it will be useful for other users. Unfortunately I don't want to test WHEN this "Anti-Lag" started causing the issue, because I would need to test several drivers and I could not be bothered. Unless it could be important in fixing the issue altogether.

Reply 23 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mondodimotori wrote on 2022-06-13, 15:42:

I don't know what you can do with this information, but I'm pretty sure it will be useful for other users. Unfortunately I don't want to test WHEN this "Anti-Lag" started causing the issue, because I would need to test several drivers and I could not be bothered. Unless it could be important in fixing the issue altogether.

Thank you for your effort! Unfortunately I cannot do anything for fixing the 'anti-lag' problem but I too think this information will be very useful for others.

Reply 24 of 25, by Mondodimotori

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2022-06-13, 20:02:
Mondodimotori wrote on 2022-06-13, 15:42:

Thank you for your effort! Unfortunately I cannot do anything for fixing the 'anti-lag' problem but I too think this information will be very useful for others.

Great, I thougt it would be impossible to do something, just like the DX11 problem. Unfortunately it's something I'm used to with AMD. Sometimes their drivers fucks up something and I have to bash my head at if for a few hours.
Is there somewhere else where this solution could be useful? Like PCGamingWiki or other support forums?

Reply 25 of 25, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mondodimotori wrote on 2022-06-13, 20:11:

Is there somewhere else where this solution could be useful? Like PCGamingWiki or other support forums?

TBH I don't know... But I mention it in the readme of v2.79 anyway. The problem is, nobody reads that. 😀