VOGONS

Reply 21980 of 27441, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SteveC wrote on 2022-06-13, 21:06:
The 512KB SOJ ICs (5 of them were cheaper than 2 locally!) turned up much earlier than expected from China (just 2 weeks) so I h […]
Show full quote

The 512KB SOJ ICs (5 of them were cheaper than 2 locally!) turned up much earlier than expected from China (just 2 weeks) so I have upgraded the onboard S3 Trio64 graphics to 2MB - I can now use 16 or 32 bit colour at resolutions over 640x480! And Final Reality now runs on the Matrox m3d 😀

1024-1365 (3).jpg
Screenshot 2022-06-13 220455.png
4032-3024-max (8).jpg

I would like to upgrade the ram on my IBM desktops too.
Can you post a close up photo of that ram chip ?

Reply 21981 of 27441, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-06-14, 07:18:
The 512KB SOJ ICs (5 of them were cheaper than 2 locally!) turned up much earlier than expected from China (just 2 weeks) so I h […]
Show full quote

The 512KB SOJ ICs (5 of them were cheaper than 2 locally!) turned up much earlier than expected from China (just 2 weeks) so I have upgraded the onboard S3 Trio64 graphics to 2MB - I can now use 16 or 32 bit colour at resolutions over 640x480! And Final Reality now runs on the Matrox m3d 😀

1024-1365 (3).jpg
4032-3024-max (8).jpg

Nice memory upgrade... I want to find some cheap chips myself to upgrade nVIDIA NV1 cards i have and for some others, but is rare here... Is this system IBM PC 365 or is other model, as the case is the same.. If is with Pentium Pro what is the set up, also if you are runing it in dual PentiumPro will be nice if you can show off the VRM module, as i dont know how does look in order to find one...

It's an IBM PC330 (Pentium 133 originally, now a 200MMX).

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/StevesTechShed
Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveTechShed

Reply 21982 of 27441, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2022-06-14, 07:45:
Show full quote

1024-1365 (3).jpg
4032-3024-max (8).jpg

I would like to upgrade the ram on my IBM desktops too.
Can you post a close up photo of that ram chip ?

Can you not see the first photo in that post of mine? That's a close up of the chips. This is the seller I used https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363218608404?var=632396512692

Reply 21984 of 27441, by Radical Vision

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did clean, test and sort the new stuff i found.. As usual i pick selected good stuff, and the rest that i dont need will go on ADs for sale/ trade the usual stuff...

From the last finds i will add to the collection ASUS P3B-F, Creative Blaster Permedia II and the shitty AXLE S3 Savage 4 ( i usually dont safe crap such as AXLE, Super and others, but the card is like brand new so could resist..) . From these 478 board the ASUS one is ded and the JETway too. Now JETway is crap so who cares, but ASUS they die alot too is garbage brand to me, so if some of my rare in the collection ASUS board dies, i will totally replace every shitty ASUS with AOpen and GIGAbyte and some with ABIT, as i am disgusted how many dead and dead and dead ASUS board are out there... Someone may say bad luck, or that ASUS did OUTsold MSI and Gigabyte by alot, even if that is the case i dont care, on every 3 Gigabyte boards i find i will find 3 ASUS ones, and 2 of them will be dead... Really garbage brand as far as i can say...

20220614_115458(1).jpg
Filename
20220614_115458(1).jpg
File size
1.72 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

That P3B-F will just be traded for alot better board the GIGAbyte BX2000+, DUAL BIOS, Blue PCB and CPU overvoltage protecion, that board is just so much better even in terms of features, not to mention the color is sick compared to the shitty yellow color of ASUS (how fitting of a shit brand to be colored shitty) . Even AOpen did have black colored slot a boards, or socket 370 black PCB ones, but ASUS naaaa they did continue to use that nasty yellow. Not to mention my ASUS SP97-V was working fine, one day decided to fuck up its BIOS file or prob the BIOS chip itself, now i need to fix that piece of shit as well DAMN i hate that brand for real... The most dead boards i saw since i collect is ASUS and ASUS... No matter i saw ofc other dead brands, most are from ASUS... GIGAbyte is alot more reliable to me, AOpen as well my dual socket AOpen did saw hell, from previous owner, blown up second memory slot, he was smoking all the time so there was nice layer of cigarette nicotine crap over the whole board, there was also visible traces, as he did as well manage to scratch very well the board.. Also that exact board AOpen DX34R-U did have problems on booting corrupted BIOS or something, i managed to fix it all, now the board runs happly and fine.. That is what i call a premium and reliable brand, ASUS meanwhile even dies while in perfect condition on the board, no blown caps, nothing to show why it did die, and just stops powering, no fans, no leds nothing... And that happens on multiple ASUS boards garbage brand + that is what ASUS is.... Not to mention UNDER zero innovation.. While ASSrock did manage to create their Upgrade boards, or AOpen to include DUAL Bios on some of their board, or their insane Tube series boards, or the Che-Che and Sweet Kiss, or ABIT Casper, or GIGAbyte and their CPU overcurrent protection and mostly known for their DUAL BIOS, all ASUS does is only to add Rubycon capacitors on most of their boards, OK that is very good, but what is the point of having the best caps that normally never pop up, if the motherboard they did engineer is trash and will die at some point for no reason...

Attachments

Mah systems retro, old, newer (Radical stuff)
W3680 4.5/ GA-x58 UD7/ R9 280x
K7 2.6/ NF7-S/ HD3850
IBM x2 P3 933/ GA-6VXD7/ Voodoo V 5.5K
Cmq P2 450/ GA-BX2000/ V2 SLI
IBM PC365
Cmq DeskPRO 486/33
IBM PS/2 Model 56
SPS IntelleXT 8088

Reply 21985 of 27441, by pbagain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Uploaded text files from the internal memory of an 80's Brother TC600 word processor/terminal to a PC. Didn't have a suitable 25-9 pin serial adapter and didn't feel like soldering, so instead I modified a cat5 cable and used 6 other adapters and cables to make this monstrosity (blue is the modified cat5):

tc600cable.jpg
Filename
tc600cable.jpg
File size
305.93 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Works great! At least at the TC600's max speed of 1200 baud 😉

Last edited by pbagain on 2022-06-16, 09:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21986 of 27441, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’m continuing to slide in to 90s dad mode.

CBE2C664-8AD9-4367-AA46-566014BB6C73.jpeg
Filename
File size
866.29 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

My laserdisc collection has officially grown past 25 thanks to these three, and I really can’t complain about it. Someday I’ll even find a player that has optical out to properly play the DTS track.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21987 of 27441, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BetaC wrote on 2022-06-16, 03:06:

My laserdisc collection has officially grown past 25 thanks to these three, and I really can’t complain about it. Someday I’ll even find a player that has optical out to properly play the DTS track.

Laser Disc, now that is a very cool thing to collect, would love to do that myself but ..well *points to pile of retro shit I really do have more than enough to keep me busy 😁

Reply 21988 of 27441, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TrashPanda wrote on 2022-06-16, 05:23:
BetaC wrote on 2022-06-16, 03:06:

Laser Disc, now that is a very cool thing to collect, would love to do that myself but ..well *points to pile of retro shit I really do have more than enough to keep me busy 😁

If your local market used to have people rich enough to buy players, then it's actually a cheap hobby. The most I have spent on any Laserdiscs is a combined $60 for my Star Wars (The actually best release, with the faces like on VHS), otherwise that Dune was the second highest at $15 thanks to my current place having a lot of old rich people.

Meanwhile, while I was in New Mexico, I found two laserdiscs ever.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 21989 of 27441, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pbagain wrote on 2022-06-15, 20:59:

Uploaded text files from the internal memory of an 80's Brother TC600 word processor/terminal to a PC. Didn't have a suitable 25-9 pin serial adapter and didn't feel like soldering, so instead I modified a cat5 cable and used 6 other adapters and cables to make this monstrosity (blue is the modified cat5):

tc600cable.jpg

I really want to respond to this but I have no words, I just can't stop laughing.. 🤣

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 21990 of 27441, by SteveC

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pbagain wrote on 2022-06-15, 20:59:

tc600cable.jpg

This is awesome! Probably good thing you're limited to 1200 baud, you're not gonna get 10gbps down that thing 😁

Reply 21991 of 27441, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radical Vision wrote on 2022-06-14, 17:29:
Did clean, test and sort the new stuff i found.. As usual i pick selected good stuff, and the rest that i dont need will go on A […]
Show full quote

Did clean, test and sort the new stuff i found.. As usual i pick selected good stuff, and the rest that i dont need will go on ADs for sale/ trade the usual stuff...

From the last finds i will add to the collection ASUS P3B-F, Creative Blaster Permedia II and the shitty AXLE S3 Savage 4 ( i usually dont safe crap such as AXLE, Super and others, but the card is like brand new so could resist..) . From these 478 board the ASUS one is ded and the JETway too. Now JETway is crap so who cares, but ASUS they die alot too is garbage brand to me, so if some of my rare in the collection ASUS board dies, i will totally replace every shitty ASUS with AOpen and GIGAbyte and some with ABIT, as i am disgusted how many dead and dead and dead ASUS board are out there... Someone may say bad luck, or that ASUS did OUTsold MSI and Gigabyte by alot, even if that is the case i dont care, on every 3 Gigabyte boards i find i will find 3 ASUS ones, and 2 of them will be dead... Really garbage brand as far as i can say...

20220614_115458(1).jpg

That P3B-F will just be traded for alot better board the GIGAbyte BX2000+, DUAL BIOS, Blue PCB and CPU overvoltage protecion, that board is just so much better even in terms of features, not to mention the color is sick compared to the shitty yellow color of ASUS (how fitting of a shit brand to be colored shitty) . Even AOpen did have black colored slot a boards, or socket 370 black PCB ones, but ASUS naaaa they did continue to use that nasty yellow. Not to mention my ASUS SP97-V was working fine, one day decided to fuck up its BIOS file or prob the BIOS chip itself, now i need to fix that piece of shit as well DAMN i hate that brand for real... The most dead boards i saw since i collect is ASUS and ASUS... No matter i saw ofc other dead brands, most are from ASUS... GIGAbyte is alot more reliable to me, AOpen as well my dual socket AOpen did saw hell, from previous owner, blown up second memory slot, he was smoking all the time so there was nice layer of cigarette nicotine crap over the whole board, there was also visible traces, as he did as well manage to scratch very well the board.. Also that exact board AOpen DX34R-U did have problems on booting corrupted BIOS or something, i managed to fix it all, now the board runs happly and fine.. That is what i call a premium and reliable brand, ASUS meanwhile even dies while in perfect condition on the board, no blown caps, nothing to show why it did die, and just stops powering, no fans, no leds nothing... And that happens on multiple ASUS boards garbage brand + that is what ASUS is.... Not to mention UNDER zero innovation.. While ASSrock did manage to create their Upgrade boards, or AOpen to include DUAL Bios on some of their board, or their insane Tube series boards, or the Che-Che and Sweet Kiss, or ABIT Casper, or GIGAbyte and their CPU overcurrent protection and mostly known for their DUAL BIOS, all ASUS does is only to add Rubycon capacitors on most of their boards, OK that is very good, but what is the point of having the best caps that normally never pop up, if the motherboard they did engineer is trash and will die at some point for no reason...

I'd avoid P4P800 and P4C800 like the plague. ASUS and especially Intel were to greedy and removed the ESD protection from their 82801ER southbridges.
I'd in fact avoid anything that uses that craptacularly engineered southbridge. Either 82801EB or skip altogether.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 21992 of 27441, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-16, 14:05:
Did clean, test and sort the new stuff i found.. As usual i pick selected good stuff, and the rest that i dont need will go on A […]
Show full quote

20220614_115458(1).jpg

I'd avoid P4P800 and P4C800 like the plague. ASUS and especially Intel were to greedy and removed the ESD protection from their 82801ER southbridges.
I'd in fact avoid anything that uses that craptacularly engineered southbridge. Either 82801EB or skip altogether.

Wasn't this issue related to the USB ports?
I wonder if disconnecting the USB ports (yes I know loosing USB is something of an issue in this case) and using addon USB PCI cards could prevent the southbridges from dying from this issue.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21993 of 27441, by PD2JK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And what I remember from the P4P800 is that the northbridge could come loose. Asus thought that it was a good idea to fasten it with some sort of 'closed jumper style retention clip'. If one was lucky only that freaky jumper came of, and not the whole heatsink.

i386 16 ⇒ i486 DX4 100 ⇒ Pentium MMX 200 ⇒ Athlon Orion 700 | TB 1000 ⇒ AthlonXP 1700+ ⇒ Opteron 165 ⇒ Dual Opteron 856

Reply 21994 of 27441, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kahenraz wrote on 2022-06-13, 21:08:

That's wonderful! I have quite a few Trio64s with empty ram slots.

Me a decade ago would have just stripped half of them and maxed the RAM on the other half. 🐒

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 21995 of 27441, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have quite a few of these. Very solid cards for DOS and basic 2D. I love them.

I'm not even sure what the memory would be used for. Higher resolution and color depth, I guess. That's always nice to have.

Reply 21996 of 27441, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-16, 14:29:
Show full quote

20220614_115458(1).jpg

I wonder if disconnecting the USB ports (yes I know loosing USB is something of an issue in this case) and using addon USB PCI cards could prevent the southbridges from dying from this issue.

You wouldn't lose only the USB at how crap their ESD protection was. You'd straight up see it burn.

'Floating' ports can sink the ship - USB shield grounding

Reply 21997 of 27441, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PcBytes wrote on 2022-06-16, 18:57:

You wouldn't lose only the USB at how crap their ESD protection was. You'd straight up see it burn.

I had an issue with a refurbished Athlon 64 system I bought some years ago. It was very unstable and after I saw sparks around the USB port on an insertion it removal (I can't remember which), I returned it immediately.

Reply 21998 of 27441, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So it's the front USB headers that are affected and not the back ones. So not connecting the front ones should help avoid this issue.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 21999 of 27441, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote on 2022-06-16, 19:51:

So it's the front USB headers that are affected and not the back ones. So not connecting the front ones should help avoid this issue.

Considering the back ones are connected through the SB very likely, I wouldn't be so sure.