VOGONS

First post, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I followed Philscomputerlab's GOG tutorial to unpack the setups for use in Win98, but some games don't unpack the game files at all to the "app" folder from the innounp unpacker, only extracting all the other components of the setup. The problematic games for me are Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow and Terminal Velocity. I'm yet to test the successfully unpacked ones on Win98SE, but Descent 3 and Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 extracted to the "app" folder with all the game files. Is there a particular reason the first two games are not unpacking as they should? Did I miss something? Thanks

Reply 1 of 4, by Peter.Mengel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well ill do it this way...ill buy the games from GoG and then went right after to archive.org and get my games in original iso files of that time...and enjoy them. As you buy anyway just a license to play the game i dont see why i should fight against the gog installer xD

Reply 2 of 4, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Evidently people do it for different reasons and even specific games, which warranted a tutorial by Phil. Eventually found a workaround that got the job done for every problematic game: install the GOG games normally in a 2000/ME/XP build, copy the installed files and run them on the Win98SE PC. Really looks obvious now!

Reply 3 of 4, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just extracted GOG's Terminal Velocity with https://constexpr.org/innoextract (on Linux) and it worked perfectly fine. I have yet to encounter a GOG installer I couldn't extract with it.

The innoextract tool also has a "--gog" option that extracts *.bin files with unrar automatically. It also supports the new GOG Galaxy format some installers use now. See the "GOG.com Installers" section of the above web page.

Reply 4 of 4, by andre_6

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
realnc wrote on 2022-06-19, 04:32:

I just extracted GOG's Terminal Velocity with https://constexpr.org/innoextract (on Linux) and it worked perfectly fine. I have yet to encounter a GOG installer I couldn't extract with it.

The innoextract tool also has a "--gog" option that extracts *.bin files with unrar automatically. It also supports the new GOG Galaxy format some installers use now. See the "GOG.com Installers" section of the above web page.

Thanks a lot, will give it a try too