VOGONS

Reply 40 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's indeed an upshot for DOSBox. I think many, as me, left out the idea of running Windows 95 inside DOSBox for a while, knowing the GUI wouldn't run and even if it would, it would with issues.
Do you think a separate thread is necessary?

Reply 41 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah it's not so much your achievement but a feat by the Dosbox authors (I think mainly wd added stuff that allows Windows 95 work much better). Hooray for the team!

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 45 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't try it yet. By the way, if it behaves as other emulators, you'll have to make it run twice: The first instance of the program wouldn't show up so you'll have to double click it once more, then press Ctrl-Alt-Del and close the first instance of the program then leave it bain-marie and go make yourself some coffee/tea; when you come back it would probably show up.

Reply 46 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chip8 Emulator is a DOS emulator of the CHIP8 language interpreter used on computers such as COSMAC VIP or Telmac 1800 and some do-it-yourself computers

nonamewr1.th.png nonamfpa3.th.png nonamgbc6.th.png nonamhgq5.th.png
nonamidw0.th.png nonamjpz0.th.png nonamkmz3.th.png vchip8000fx0.th.png

This one is version 1.1 and it works in DOSBox 0.70

Reply 48 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe... Most of those old DOS arcade emulators should work fine. I can think of Sparcade, Juno First, M72, Rage or xDragon.

Most of them are avilable at http://www.zophar.net/marcade.html

Of course, the real trouble here is getting the ROMs.

Now, If I could find my old NeoRage compatible NeoGeo sets...

Reply 52 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(In high-pitched Mario voice) Here we go!

HkAOuuI.png qc8k3ae.png

First of all, the bad news, I'm giving up NeoGeo emulation under DOSBox, at least until next version. The available NeoRage DOS versions are far less advanced than I though, and the best alternative I could find (NeoMame v0.56) runs at only 10 fps. At least, though, the emulator worked flawlessly under DOSBox, even with sound.

But I have good news as well, RockNES v3.10 (last non-beta DOS version that I know of) works fantastic under DOSBox! There's a minor issue involving crashes while navigating the menus, but only if you use the default VESA 1.x driver. All it takes is to fix this is editing the ROCKNES.INI file and selecting another video mode. All the games I've tried work nicely.

Nesticle and LoopyNES also work fine, and I specially like the way the later reproduces sound. However, it doesn't offer savestates.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-20, 13:38. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 53 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Neville wrote:

First of all, the bad news, I'm giving up NeoGeo emulation under DOSBox, at least until next version. The available NeoRage DOS versions are far less advanced than I though

It's not advanced but does it work?

adripsx000hw3.th.png adripsx002te4.th.png

Playstation inside DOSBox using AdriPSX v01.02.01. The first picture is Bubble Bubble II/Bubble Symphony, fully playable (some slow-downs occur during transition effects, never during gameplay); the second one is Resident Evil but that's the only frames I saw this far (it must be due to the emulator's limited features). The emulator has no sound support under DOS.

Reply 54 of 136, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Playstation inside Dosbox *snicker* - good one. I love this thread 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 55 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
butterfly wrote:
Neville wrote:

First of all, the bad news, I'm giving up NeoGeo emulation under DOSBox, at least until next version. The available NeoRage DOS versions are far less advanced than I though

It's not advanced but does it work?

Could be. The latest DOS version of NeoRage for DOS that I could find is v0.2d (at http://www.zophar.net/neo-geo.html). It has no GUI and no sound support. I tried to make it work a few times, but it kept complaining of missing files (the NeoGeo BIOS, I think, although I'm pretty sure I have the correct files). That's why I moved to NeoMAME.

BTW, amazing PSX pics. I have to try that.

Reply 56 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can't think of many other systems to try, really. This is a CBM Amiga running through Fellow 0.36 R1. I've tried several games, but only "Test Drive" was playable. As for the emulator, flawless.

All menus and option work fine, and even at 640x400 with sound enabled the speed was adequate. If only the compatibility was closer to its Windows version...

QaXgAqI.png YfLtqCO.png

butterfly, was it you the one who tried DOSUAE at the beginning of this thread? How was the compatibility?

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 15:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 57 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More stuff: Atari ST emulator Pacifist:

iG0DYq8.png wFrMvjq.png
xTmfXSN.png jTelgEr.png

Unlike Fellow, I could get most games to work quite easily. The problem (and the embarrasment 😊 ) came later, when I wasn't able to find the keys where the joystick is mapped.

Now, I don't think there's much left to try, but I'll see if I test Raine one of these days. I used to spend hours playing those Taito arcades.

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 14:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 58 of 136, by butterfly

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it was kruwi

[EDIT]
I spent more time playing Bubble Bobble PC (novalogic) version with my friends. It was kinda hard trying to figure out how it worked in arcades 😅

I kinda played more on an old Operation Bear (Operation Wolf clone) machine, the one with the big machine gun.

Reply 59 of 136, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ever heard of the Apple IIGS? It's the 16 bits version of the Apple II, and it is also emulated. I've tested XGS-DOS. It is VERY slow, but stuff like the "King's Quest" series is playable.

fPOlliO.png ZuMm8aJ.png

Last edited by Neville on 2017-08-19, 14:14. Edited 1 time in total.