VOGONS

Three 5.25 bays idea

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've also seen card reader, USB port, front audio bays in 5.25 but I'm not sure if they were a thing you could buy by themselves or were used by some manufacturers to bring older cases "up to date" and came with the case.

Those monitors though 🤣 I thought that was a custom build with an old kaypro monitor or mini TV in the fallout build, I didn't not realise they had been offered by more than one manufacturer for server etc use.... so not sure whether to hate you for making it seem like I might find one someday 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 23 of 38, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

An idea for 2 slots:

* A compact flash IDE slot so you can quickly switch OS cards without multiboot. They exist mounted in a 5.25 bay like this
* A 5.25 storage rack to store those compact flash cards, like this

Reply 24 of 38, by Cosmic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2022-07-01, 20:13:

More ideas from one of my cases:

Wow, a true tower of power. That LCD display is awesome!

My 98-99 build has two 5.25 bays and two 3.25 bays:

• Trusty AOpen CD-RW drive, needs a paper clip to open it
  • Random 5.25" floppy drive that surprising works great. Has a red LED instead of green which is cool
  • Matching 3.5" floppy, also with a red LED
  • A new Zip disk 100 drive

Reply 25 of 38, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-01, 16:48:

I've also seen card reader, USB port, front audio bays in 5.25 but I'm not sure if they were a thing you could buy by themselves or were used by some manufacturers to bring older cases "up to date" and came with the case.

Those monitors though 🤣 I thought that was a custom build with an old kaypro monitor or mini TV in the fallout build, I didn't not realise they had been offered by more than one manufacturer for server etc use.... so not sure whether to hate you for making it seem like I might find one someday 🤣

You can make them yourself too.

When they were hot and I was poor, I found an old 1970s era video camera in a university rubbish bin. Couldn't do anything with the camera itself (in retrospect that would have been an awesome CCD) but the monitor was exatly that: a 3" B/W CRT, with composite input and what turned out to be 12V power supply. It just about filled 3 5.25" drive slots. So I hacked a wire from Molex to the power input of this thing, and from TV-out of a Trident ProVideo9685 card (the most trouble-free TV-out I ever encountered) to the composite input, and low and behold, I had a second screen in my Windows XP system. Shoved it in those 3 drive bays, then ran Winamp visualizations full-screen on it 😉

Reply 26 of 38, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Get a Slot loading CDROM drive.
This one is an 8x Sony.

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0111.jpg
    File size
    374.76 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 38, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Love slot-in DVD readers ! I have 4 or 5 Pioneer ones (for some reason I came a cross a lot of them for cheap). But it's not planned for this project.
Thank you all for your suggestions.

Reply 29 of 38, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2022-07-01, 23:26:
BitWrangler wrote on 2022-07-01, 16:48:

You can make them yourself too.

When they were hot and I was poor, I found an old 1970s era video camera in a university rubbish bin. Couldn't do anything with the camera itself (in retrospect that would have been an awesome CCD) but the monitor was exatly that: a 3" B/W CRT, with composite input and what turned out to be 12V power supply. It just about filled 3 5.25" drive slots. So I hacked a wire from Molex to the power input of this thing, and from TV-out of a Trident ProVideo9685 card (the most trouble-free TV-out I ever encountered) to the composite input, and low and behold, I had a second screen in my Windows XP system. Shoved it in those 3 drive bays, then ran Winamp visualizations full-screen on it 😉

Awesome. Guess I'll be keeping an eye out for ancient video cameras in the trash now too.

Reply 30 of 38, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustJulião wrote on 2022-07-12, 00:29:

Do you guys know which sound cards have a 5.25" interface ? I know about SB's and the Terratec DMX 6 Fire.

Terratec EWS64. And the card it's truly "retro" and awesome, ISA, nice wavetable chip onboard.

Reply 31 of 38, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RaverX wrote on 2022-07-12, 07:24:

[...]

Terratec EWS64. And the card it's truly "retro" and awesome, ISA, nice wavetable chip onboard.

Specifically the EWS64XL and EWS64XXL (the latter with a Kurzweil synth in the 5.25" bay, the former just with connectors in there). The EWS64L and EWS64S don't have a 5.25" bay. Note by the way that these are tempremental divas that can be a pain to get working, particularly in combination with other cards. I've tried - and failed - several times to do a build with EWS64(XL), AWE64 and GUS, for the ultimate 'all synths in one build' experience - but nope, the EWS won't play ball. Solo under DOS and Win9x they aren't too complicated. Win2k is headache territory too, unfortunately.

Reply 32 of 38, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These cards look awesome. But even if my original request was for a beige case, this time this is for a grey one. I wouldn't fit a grey bay on a beige case. As you might expect in a grey case, this is a rather newer project (P4 hased). There is no ISA port. My beige project will probably stick to the DVD reader.
The mainboard will be a Soyo Dragon Ultra which comes with a 2.5" interface (with a 5.25 adapter) that is... beige (soyo sb-p4sx).
How ironic.
Maybe it'll end up in another case since it looks to be a standard connector, even if I don't like the idea of splitting old hardware that is still bundled.

Reply 33 of 38, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are also good:

6000198491342.jpg

These drawers also exist in white/beige:

31f318a0-f449-4527-b290-a879dc501908_1.00b37e19dea55a07b741ba85ec545949.jpeg

Or something like this:

21-big-aerocool-cooltouch-r.jpg

I also like to use my expansion options, but I don't like to waste them on thing's I wouldn't use, like tape or zip drives.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 34 of 38, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2022-07-01, 23:26:

Couldn't do anything with the camera itself (in retrospect that would have been an awesome CCD)

Bee Tee Dubs, I think we were well into the 80s before CCD appeared in commercial video cams, it was probably a Vidicon tube in there.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 35 of 38, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2022-07-12, 15:20:
These are also good: […]
Show full quote

These are also good:

6000198491342.jpg

These drawers also exist in white/beige:

31f318a0-f449-4527-b290-a879dc501908_1.00b37e19dea55a07b741ba85ec545949.jpeg

Or something like this:

21-big-aerocool-cooltouch-r.jpg

I also like to use my expansion options, but I don't like to waste them on thing's I wouldn't use, like tape or zip drives.

Looks nice !

Reply 36 of 38, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just spotted in another thread: Looking for lost drivers: Greystone MPC-GS220M ISA to PCMIA adapter

greystone.jpg
Filename
greystone.jpg
File size
45.63 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 37 of 38, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yah, I've got a Micron branded P200 tower with a PCMCIA drivebay in front, only single wide though.

Reply 38 of 38, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JustJulião wrote on 2022-07-12, 14:38:
These cards look awesome. But even if my original request was for a beige case, this time this is for a grey one. I wouldn't fit […]
Show full quote

These cards look awesome. But even if my original request was for a beige case, this time this is for a grey one. I wouldn't fit a grey bay on a beige case. As you might expect in a grey case, this is a rather newer project (P4 hased). There is no ISA port. My beige project will probably stick to the DVD reader.
The mainboard will be a Soyo Dragon Ultra which comes with a 2.5" interface (with a 5.25 adapter) that is... beige (soyo sb-p4sx).
How ironic.
Maybe it'll end up in another case since it looks to be a standard connector, even if I don't like the idea of splitting old hardware that is still bundled.

Here is the grey case I'm refering to