VOGONS

First post, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After several failed attempts to get an Intel VS440FX board working for my Pentium Pro project, I substituted a Gigabyte GA-686NX and got it to POST for the first time. However it says the CMOS battery has failed, and I don't see a CR2032 cell anywhere on the board. The manual says the battery is replaceable, but I have no idea where it is, what it is, or how to get another. Has anyone worked with this board or a similar old Gigabyte board before?

Board layout:

8a1pIqJ.jpg

wp0kyr-2.png CALIFORNIA_RAYZEN
1wpfky-2.png REDBOX
3q6x0e-2.png FUNKENSTEIN_3D

Reply 1 of 5, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's inside the Dallas chip. You could buy a new DS12887+ chip ($11.28 at DigiKey), buy a GlitchWorks one with a replaceable battery, or get out your files/dremel and soldering iron and modify your existing chip to use an external battery. Hopefully the chip is in a socket and not soldered on...

Reply 2 of 5, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is indeed socketed, and the one on my board (Odin OEC12C887) was a horrible mess with bent pins and missing pins!

E: that item is out of stock. Will a Dallac DS12CR887-5+ do the job?

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX

Reply 5 of 5, by Woolie Wool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked the missing pins and they correspond to ones that are missing on pictures of the same type of chip in Google, so that's a relief. I ordered a DS12CR887-5+‎ from Digikey. Thanks everybody!

1wpfky-2.png REDBOX