VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by shmel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am big dos newb, sorry in advance if I seem dense.

I have windows98SE machine (PII with 262MB of RAM) and I am trying to play some DOS games, at the moment Dune II and Prehistorik 2. I am running into classic not enough memory problem when I try start games after rebooting into DOS. So i followed Phil's handy guide:
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-mode-super-easy.html

So now when I reboot into Dos using Phil's shortcut, I get to choose if I want to extend memory and which drives I want to load. However I am still running into Prehistorik2 saying it is out of memory. Same thing with Dune 2.

If I type in mem command, I get this:

convention Total: 640k Used: 59k Free: 581k
upper Total: 0k Used: 0k Free: 0k
reserved Total: 384k Used: 384k Free: 0k
extended (XMS) Total: 261,120k Used: 86k Free: 261,052k
------------------------------------------
total memory Total: 262,144k Used: 511k Free: 261,633k
total under 1MB Total: 640k Used: 59k Free: 581k

Phil goes over in this part of the video what he is adding to that MSDOS reboot shortcut:
https://youtu.be/f52bZzWs-u4?t=250

It basically uses that shortcut without modifying system files, which if I did it would look like this:

CONFIG.SYS

[COMMON]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
FILES=30
BUFFERS=30
LASTDRIVE=H

[menu]
menuitem=EMC, Expanded memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=XMC, Extended memory + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=CMC, Conventional Memory only + Mouse + CD-ROM
menuitem=EM, Expanded memory + Mouse
menuitem=XM, Extended memory + Mouse
menuitem=CM, Conventional memory only + Mouse

menudefault=EMC,10

[EMC]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DRIVERS\VIDECDD.SYS /D:OPTICAL

[XMC]

[CMC]

[EM]
DEVICE=C:\DOS\EMM386.EXE RAM

[XM]

[CM]

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@ECHO OFF
PROMPT $p$g
PATH C:\DOS
SET TEMP=C:\DOS
LH C:\DRIVERS\CTMOUSE.EXE /R2
GoTo %config%
:EMC
:XMC
:CMC
LH C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OPTICAL
:EM
:XM
:CM

Reply 1 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recommend picking up the book Running MS-DOS which among other things explains DOS memory configuration.

I'm more of a KISS person rather than configuring such menus. Looks like you're in a situation without emm386.
I would rename config.sys to config.bak and autoexec.bat to autoexec.bak, and c:\windows\dosstart.bat (if it exists) to dosstart.bak.

then in c:\config.sys put
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=c:\drivers\videcdd.sys /d:mscd000
dos=high,umb

then in c:\windows\dosstart.bat put
lh mscdex /d:mscd000
lh c:\drivers\ctmouse

when you "restart in ms-dos mode"from windows rather than rebooting and using F8 to get a command prompt, it will drop into dos and execute dosstart.bat automatically.

Reply 2 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did you try the "Expanded Memory" settings? These ones can load TSRs and part of DOS into high memory, saving precious conventional memory for real mode executables.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 13, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

for dos, I'd not bother trying to load a CD driver + mscdex. that will save a bunch of memory.

"XM" should give you most free memory,

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 4 of 13, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well you kind of need a CD driver for CD games...

The XM options don't load EMM386 which means no UMBs. So a lot less conventional memory. They are basically only good for protected mode games that don't behave with EMM386 like Zone 66.

Reply 5 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that Plasma mentioned Zone 66, the game refuses to start with any XMS driver loaded. CMC and CM options are the only ones that works and since the OP is running Windows 98, the DOS line in CONFIG.SYS should be like this:

DOS=HIGH,UMB,NOAUTO

The NOAUTO parameter prevents automatic loading of HIMEM.SYS, IFSHLP.SYS, DBLBUFF.SYS and SETVER.EXE. Phil's MS-DOS Mode Super Easy PIF shortcut includes it.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 13, by Matth79

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The options also don't seem to include a NOEMS, now it doesn't normally hurt to have EMS enabled (unless using EMM386 at all is incompatible with games that do their own memory management), but it's 64k that can't be used for UMB and also splits the available UMB space into 2 smaller areas

Reply 7 of 13, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It deliberately doesn't include NOEMS because there are games that do require EMS. Two examples: The Incredible Machine 2 is one that refuses to run without it and Monster Bash needs it for digitized sound effects.

Nevertheless, another configuration menu can be created using EMM386 with NOEMS parameter if more UMB is needed.

Reply 8 of 13, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-07-03, 00:15:

It deliberately doesn't include NOEMS because there are games that do require EMS. Two examples: The Incredible Machine 2 is one that refuses to run without it and Monster Bash needs it for digitized sound effects.

Nevertheless, another configuration menu can be created using EMM386 with NOEMS parameter if more UMB is needed.

That's fair. I guess it depends on whether the OP being a "dos newb" just wants it to work in the maximum possible configuration or wants to dig into this stuff and understand it starting from the maximum conventional memory possible and then adjust things to make it more compatible with games. IMO it's not that insurmountable, just tedious.

Looks like archive.org has Running MS-DOS in their library. This is the book I personally used way-back-when to learn about this stuff. There's a nice description of DOS memory management starting on p. 431: https://archive.org/details/RunningMSDOSVersi … e/n431/mode/2up

Reply 9 of 13, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's realtively easy to get 620kb free conventional memory in DOS with mouse, sound and CD drivers installed just by loading most drivers into the UMB.

There is a file here on Vogons that I uploaded 10 years ago from some warez scene guy (a german - excuse his english) that pretty much explains everything very slowly and precisely. It's quite enlightening. It's in this forum somewhere under Dos Conventional Memory Tricks or something...

Take a looksee. It should solve all your problems for getting any game working if you can spare an hour or so to follow the guide.

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 10 of 13, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It depends on the upper memory area. If there are additional ROMs (NIC, SCSI, etc.) then there will be less space available. EMS page frame takes away another 64K if enabled. But 600K should be possible on most 386+ systems.

Reply 11 of 13, by shmel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got the book, I will be reading up MSDOS basics, memory and drivers shenanigans, etc. Thanks for suggestion!

jakethompson1 wrote on 2022-06-30, 16:31:
I recommend picking up the book Running MS-DOS which among other things explains DOS memory configuration. […]
Show full quote

I recommend picking up the book Running MS-DOS which among other things explains DOS memory configuration.

I'm more of a KISS person rather than configuring such menus. Looks like you're in a situation without emm386.
I would rename config.sys to config.bak and autoexec.bat to autoexec.bak, and c:\windows\dosstart.bat (if it exists) to dosstart.bak.

then in c:\config.sys put
device=c:\windows\himem.sys
device=c:\windows\emm386.exe noems
devicehigh=c:\drivers\videcdd.sys /d:mscd000
dos=high,umb

then in c:\windows\dosstart.bat put
lh mscdex /d:mscd000
lh c:\drivers\ctmouse

when you "restart in ms-dos mode"from windows rather than rebooting and using F8 to get a command prompt, it will drop into dos and execute dosstart.bat automatically.

Reply 12 of 13, by shmel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Iris030380 wrote on 2022-07-08, 11:46:

It's realtively easy to get 620kb free conventional memory in DOS with mouse, sound and CD drivers installed just by loading most drivers into the UMB.

There is a file here on Vogons that I uploaded 10 years ago from some warez scene guy (a german - excuse his english) that pretty much explains everything very slowly and precisely. It's quite enlightening. It's in this forum somewhere under Dos Conventional Memory Tricks or something...

Take a looksee. It should solve all your problems for getting any game working if you can spare an hour or so to follow the guide.

I will check that out as well, thank you for your help!

Reply 13 of 13, by tomexplodes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure it's helpful, but on my DOS 6.22 system, I use QEMM and let it do its thing, I have 629k free conventional, and enough EMS and XMS for games that need them. For Ultima 7 I use a bootdisk, haha.

1.) MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium 233mhz, 32mb RAM, S3 Trio64, Sound Blaster Pro 2
2.) Windows 98SE with Unofficial SP3, AMD Athlon 1.3ghz, 768mb RAM, Geforce 4 MX 440 64mb AGP, Sound Blaster Live! Value