User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GigAHerZ wrote on 2020-12-22, 20:06:
My googleing skills have not been enough... :( […]
Show full quote

My googleing skills have not been enough... 🙁

It would be absolutely amazing, if someone would have MR BIOS for SIS 85C471 based chipsets.
Information from one of the bios packs here, in the thread: (but the bios itself was missing 🙁 )

Filename   Port      Description  SIS 85C471
-------- ------- ---------------------------------------------------------
V089B410 SIS_410 4 Mem Banks, REG_6A=FF
V089B411 SIS_411 6 Mem Banks, REG_6A=FF
V089B412 SIS_412 8 Mem Banks, REG_6A=FF

V089B413 SIS_413 4 Mem Banks, REG_6A=00
V089B414 SIS_414 6 Mem Banks, REG_6A=00
V089B415 SIS_415 8 Mem Banks, REG_6A=00

NOTE: The versions above are but a few samples of the
many ingenious multiplex schemes possible with
this chipset. (Hint: try V089B410 first).

Just keeping this request up. I've scanned through whole this thread and the repository thread for 486 boards and have not yet been able to find MR-BIOS for SIS 471 chipset. But it does exists according to docs...

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 281 of 385, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am looking for the SARC RC2016 MR BIOS. Does anyone have a dump?

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 282 of 385, by JurassicSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it might be in the CD collection posted earlier. Look for something like MRBIOS1.ZIP, then expand that to MRBIOS_1.ZIP, and look there for SARC.DOC. As soon as the eproms arrive, I'll try this on my Pine PT-319A, an AMD 386SX with a SARC2016A4.

On another note, the bios for the Gigabyte GA-586ATE seems to work for the GA-586ATM as well. The difference looks like the type of chips used for the cache ram. I was able to get a rig working with 4 floppy drives to backup some old floppies and so far results are very good.

Reply 283 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Any chance one might exist for the tyan s1564d? I see that triton hx is supported.
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5131

Also I’d be interested in one for this board
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/4431 Shuttle HOT-403

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 284 of 385, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did some update on my MR BIOS archive. Now the table has info on all the MR BIOS images I could find, not just the files that are actually on the Web.

Here's the catalog.

I also sorted the images by chipsets as opposed to by CPU generations, because many chipsets support different CPUs. Also the actual archive is now organized into chipsets as well, because I've learned that even newer MR BIOS images (such as the one for Opti Pentium boards) are pretty universal and can work with different cache configurations/etc. The exception for now are Intel Socket 7 chipsets, because there are still a lot of unknown motherboards there. It should also make adding new BIOS images easier later on.

A lot of duplicates were fixed thanks to this, so while the actual archive now has 540 images (which is a bit smaller than the previous versions), there are quite a few additions there. Here's the archive.

Also I made a similar catalog of Unicore Award upgrades using the files from the same Evergreen disk.

This is one has a whopping of 3337 images for different Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 chipsets — not just Intel, but also ALi, OPTi, SIS and VIA. There are also a few images for Socket 8 and Slot 1 boards. About a third of them is identified (997 images), the majority of others have at least the vendor and all have the chipset name. In any case, these are Award BIOS files, so you can always look for BIOS codes as opposed to motherboard names, because a lot of motherboards actually share BIOS images.

Now, unlike MR BIOS, Unicore does not seem to differ that much from regular BIOSes of the time, but it should bring support for big HDD and additional CPUs (if your motherboard can provide the voltage or you have a CPU interposer). So I think the main point of this is to help those that can't find any BIOS for their motherboard at all. I also suspect that a big amount of unknown BIOS images are for proprietary/OEM machines.

The archive itself is here.

Last edited by jheronimus on 2022-08-02, 19:21. Edited 1 time in total.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 285 of 385, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2022-07-17, 14:17:
I did some update on my MR BIOS archive. Now the table has info on all the MR BIOS images I could find, not just the files that […]
Show full quote

I did some update on my MR BIOS archive. Now the table has info on all the MR BIOS images I could find, not just the files that are actually on the Web.

Here's the catalog.

I also sorted the images by chipsets as opposed to by CPU generations, because many chipsets support different CPUs. Also the actual archive is now organized into chipsets as well, because I've learned that even newer MR BIOS images (such as the one for Opti Pentium boards) are pretty universal and can work with different cache configurations/etc. The exception for now are Intel Socket 7 chipsets, because there are still a lot of unknown motherboards there. It should also make adding new BIOS images easier later on.

A lot of duplicates were fixed thanks to this, so while the actual archive now has 540 images (which is a bit smaller than the previous versions), there are quite a few additions there. Here's the archive.

Also I made a similar catalog of Unicore Award upgrades using the files from the same Evergreen disk.

This is one has a whopping of 3337 images for different Socket 7 and Super Socket 7 chipsets — not just Intel, but also ALi, OPTi, SIS and VIA. There are also a few images for Socket 8 and Slot 1 boards. About a third of them is identified (997 images), the majority of others have at least the vendor and all have the chipset name. In any case, these are Award BIOS files, so you can always look for BIOS codes as opposed to motherboard names, because a lot of motherboards actually share BIOS images.

Now, unlike MR BIOS, Unicore does not seem to differ that much from regular BIOSes of the time, but it does seem to bring support for big HDD and additional CPUs (if your motherboard can provide the voltage or you have a CPU interposer). So I think the main point of this is to help those that can't find any BIOS for their motherboard at all. I also suspect that a big amount of unknown BIOS images are for proprietary/OEM machines.

The archive itself is here.

Very nice, thanks!

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB

Reply 286 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/3127

Any mr bios for this?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 287 of 385, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-07, 20:34:
Any chance one might exist for the tyan s1564d? I see that triton hx is supported. https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards […]
Show full quote

Any chance one might exist for the tyan s1564d? I see that triton hx is supported.
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/5131

Also I’d be interested in one for this board
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/4431 Shuttle HOT-403

I've looked into that Tyan board — I think you should try a BIOS for S1563D, code V098B5SD. It has the same chipset (430HX) and I/O chip (SMC 669QF), and it's also a dual-CPU board. I think there's a high chance of success here.

As to that Shuttle board — it doesn't have anything integrated, so I think you should just try the images that are available for the chipset. Images V020B428, V020B42E, V020B42F, V020B42G and V020B42H are for Opti 493/495 boards that don't have any built-in I/O, so they differ mostly in how turbo is implemented.

Sphere478 wrote on 2022-07-17, 19:38:

I've seen no mentions for VLSI apart from Topcat (that's a 386 chipset).

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 288 of 385, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. Sweet!

I’ll give it a shot in a few weeks. When in front of chip programmer

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 289 of 385, by JurassicSpark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The hunt is on! I'm looking for SARC RC2016A4 MR BIOS, and I think root42 was also. It seems to be V064B312, but I can't find any bios files in the V06xxxxx range. Anybody have any hints? It's for a 386SX board, a PT-319A by Pine Technology.

Reply 290 of 385, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Chipset: Macronix MX83C30x
Caching Tech Corp. C386MX
https://www.ultimateretro.net/en/motherboards/1161

Attachments

Reply 292 of 385, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
watz wrote on 2022-09-01, 07:39:

Is anyone here aware of a MRBIOS for the common UM8881F+UM8886AF+UM8663AF 486 chipset combo?

Thx!

No, none of the late 486 PCI chipsets were supported. Here's the official list of supported chipsets

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 293 of 385, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cyrix200+ wrote on 2020-05-12, 11:43:

I noticed a 386SX motherboard on an auction site and asked the seller for a BIOS dump. He helped out 😀

I am not sure this one was already found before, the board has the Acer/ALi M1217 chip. BIOS ID is V1.41-ACER310.

I have a board exactly like this one, but it doesn't boot.
I'm going to try this bios available but this bios chip “Mr bios” doesn't work in my bios programmer TL866 ii (it doesn't appear in the chip listing).
Would anyone know please which chip I could be replacing this “Mr bios” (28 pin)?
I would really like to see this board showing a sign of life because it is the only 386 I own.

Attachments

Last edited by EduardoHF on 2022-09-30, 19:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 294 of 385, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
EduardoHF wrote on 2022-09-30, 19:21:

I'm going to try this bios available but this bios chip “Mr bios” doesn't work in my bios programmer (it doesn't appear in the chip listing).
Would anyone know please which chip I could be replacing this “Mr bios” (28 pin)?
I would really like to see this board showing a sign of life because it is the only 386 I own.

select a generic 27C512 chip and disable "chip ID" setting on programmer (or ignore the "ID not match" or similar error)
it will be read safely - this chip is just a "one time programmable" 27series rom with a custom label

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 295 of 385, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the tip!
I'm going to buy one of these and try it.
And is there any EEPROM option that I can use, because I don't have a UV eraser

Last edited by EduardoHF on 2022-09-30, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 296 of 385, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought your question was about how to read that "mr.bios" chip
I have no idea which bios data can replace that but it's guaranteed that a 27C512 eprom with the suitable data can replace the mr.bios chip

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 297 of 385, by EduardoHF

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What I intend to do is write a new bios to see if my MB works.
On the analyzer the IRDY LED is off and the others are OK. No digits appear.
I have a hobby oscilloscope and I noticed that the address and date pins have some activity.
I think the only thing left for me to do is try a bios rewrite or a new bios chip.
If it's a chipset problem, there's nothing left to do.

Attachments

Reply 299 of 385, by Riikcakirds

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Nearly all the folders in the MR-BIOS archive have two bios files in each folder with the same name but with different extensions. One ending in 'BIO' and another in 'BIN' extension. They appear identical in size but have different sha1 values.
I was about to flash a 'IBM Aptiva/Intel Advanced/MN Morrison' in folder V097B5NA but don't know which one to flash. Either V097B5NA.BIN or V097B5NA.BIO.
This board has a soldered bios eeprom (not a dip32) so I can't flash it with programmer if I brick it. What is the difference between bin and bio in each folder>