Common searches

Your favorite game music?

Topic actions

First post, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Believe it or not, I have many; in fact, I find that many games music are much better than radio top fourties (but that's just me). In fact, due to the amount of game music I love, the following is just a "partial list" --the songs that I currently think of:

Riku Nuottajärvi - Yehat Theme (Star Control 2)

Dan Nicholson - Melee Theme (Star Control 2)

(composer unknown) - Odyssey (Need For Speed 1 Special Edition)

Frank Klepacki - Rain in the Night (Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn)

Frank Klepacki - Bigfoot (Command & Conquer: Red Alert)

Frank Klepacki - Vector (Command & Conquer: Red Alert)

David "Iolo" Watson & Kathleen "Gwenno" Jones - Stones (Ultima series)

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 1 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know the song titles, but the Last Ninja on the C64 had music I still like 😀
And the Ultima music was great in general though the U7 music I heard too often to still fully enjoy 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

I don't know the song titles, but the Last Ninja on the C64 had music I still like 😀

Just wonder: what's the format of C64 music? A standard MIDI, or something else? And if case of the latter, what's the player needed to play them?

Dominus wrote:

And the Ultima music was great in general though the U7 music I heard too often to still fully enjoy 😀

Ah, Ultima 7. I remember a short song titled "Falling in Love" which was always my favorite during my gameplay.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 3 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AFAIR C64 is in a format called SID (there is a plugin for Winamp I *think*). Some if not all songs can be downloaded at http://lastninja.lemon64.com/music.htm

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 34, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

AFAIR C64 is in a format called SID (there is a plugin for Winamp I *think*). Some if not all songs can be downloaded at http://lastninja.lemon64.com/music.htm

How did I miss the Last Ninja site on the first place?

Thanks for the linky, by the way!

Reply 6 of 34, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Personally, I loved the Ultima music. My favorite among those is "Stones". My all time favorite game music, though, is the music at the main menu on the C64 game Moebius. Can't find any SID file conversions of it, though, and don't know the first thing about ripping it myself 🙁 I also love the Ultima V theme music that was only available on the Amiga version. Why they made a new song just for the Amiga version, I still don't know.

As for the C64 music, yes it was all SID music. Yes, there is a plug-in for WinAmp that plays it. Though, I generally prefer to use a straight SID player (SidPlay2.) Sorry, don't have the link for it handy, my main computer is still down, I expect my replacement parts in this Friday. I mainly prefer it because it allows you to use real SID chips to play the music, if you have a card that allows it, like HardSID or Catweasel.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 7 of 34, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think I love music too much to have an absolute favourite among game music, but I REALLY like the Chrono Trigger music , and also The Giana Sisters, but I like so many genres, than I can´t really decide, since I also have a passion for Monkey Island 1 soundtrack. So I don´t have an absolute favourite of anything.

And I don´t want to bore you to death in writing about what game soundtracks I like, and so forth. Since I could really write, and talk for hours about it. But I will spare you for that 😀

But I can say that I made a thread on ASSEMbler long time ago, where I pointed out links to game music.

And ok, I am WDK many places, and also I am sorry if I babble too much.

Reply 8 of 34, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I would have to cast my vote for Ultima as well, Ultima IV to be precise. Origin Systems allowed me to trade in my Atari 800 version of Ultima IV for the Atari ST version when it came out. One of the big selling points of the Atari ST for me was the built in MIDI ports. Ultima IV would output MIDI music through the MIDI ports as well as the speakers. I had a Yamaha DX7 II and Ensoniq Mirage Digital Sampler connected to the ST and for 1986 you would have been hard pressed to top the sound quality of the music played through that setup.

Most of the Ultima series songs can be found at http://www.uo.com/archive/ftp/sound/

Reply 9 of 34, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like any music composed by Mark Morgan (Fallout series, Planescape:Torment) and also the Baldur's Gate Series music.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 11 of 34, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

i generally dont play games with music but a couple of exceptions

Descent - the gaming equivalent of the jaws music just a fantastic way of building the tension

unreal the music suited the game so well

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 12 of 34, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ultimate source for SID tunes has to be HVSC, the High Voltage SID collection. You can download a complete package of all the tunes there. BTW, did you know there's still new SID songs composed for the demo scene? Most demo parties still have a SID competition, and there's some great tracks coming from there.

Another great source of music is UnExoticA, the ExoticA Game Music Archive with music from Amiga games. These come in MOD format, and in some special synth formats, that can be played back with DeliPlayer.

If you're interested in "Scene" music (the tunes from the demo scene, and the ones you hear in Intros of scene groups), head to SceneMusic for music streams and a _lot_ of information.

Ahh, i could go on forever on that topic. I have a huge collection of Oldschoold gamemusic converted to MP3 format (and new game music, as well), and i'm listening to it a lot on the iPod.

Edit: just noticed i'm not exactly on topic. I'm not able to list a top ten (too many good tunes), but i'd say that nearly every tune from Rob Hubbard and Martin Galway made on the C64 is worth listening to.

Oh, and i forgot that many C64 SID tunes in MP3 format are available at this site. These MP3's were made with a HardSID card, which is basically a PCI device you can put original SID chips on. This is as close as you can get to the original SID sound. There's still no SID emulator (or player) that can reproduce the sound exactly (and there never will be one, probably).

Reply 14 of 34, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Old games:
Sam and max
Quest for glory 4 (my favourite)

New games:
Metal gear solid 3

I know it's in bad taste, but meh.

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 15 of 34, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A new favorite is Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars
The music in it was very good and helped set the mood. The Orc theme "Karash" is available for download at the official site.
http://www.spellforce.com/sf2/?lang=en&rid=1417

Reply 16 of 34, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

Descent - the gaming equivalent of the jaws music just a fantastic way of building the tension

unreal the music suited the game so well

I'd agree with both of those.

In addition, earlier games music I enjoyed included Hired Guns (Amiga), Cybernoid 2 Theme (Amiga).

Later stuff that was exceptionally good includes the original Tomb Raider and the Resident Evil series.

Reply 17 of 34, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

first 2 donkey kong country games =) (who hates them?)
journey to silius (NES)
Digger T.Rock title screen =) (NES)
all 3 double dragon game title screen's and some levels (NES)

some more, but i am suffering from memory loss xD

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 19 of 34, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

and don't forget QUAKE! I'm just a Trent Reznor fanboy but even though it's very much fitting into the atmosphere.