VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by CraigAB69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys,

I used to use the boot manager that comes with Arch Linux to dual boot between Win 10 and Linux, but I was wondering if there was anything better to use?

If you are dual booting a machine, what boot manager are you using to boot between Win 10 and Linux?

I would much prefer to use Windows in a VM. But my old HP Envy M6 does not have IOMMU. I think not having that feature introduces delays, as Ableton Live 11 (In a Win 10 Virtualbox VM) seems to struggle.

So the way around that is to dual boot again.

Although I am thinking of trying to buy a Desktop Motherboard that enables IOMMU.

Cheers,
Craig

“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

Reply 1 of 3, by cloverskull

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think one distinction here is that Arch doesn’t really “come with” any specific boot manager, you pick your own 😀

That said I’ve enjoyed systemd-boot and have used it pretty extensively. But that requires a systemd-based distro and everything that comes along with it. Grub is still an excellent all-around choice and probably what I’d recommend.

Reply 2 of 3, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I’m a fan of plop for choosing between drives. If you can get all the os’s all set up non dependent on the other’s boot loader plop is a good option.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)