Reply 480 of 507, by 640K!enough
MJay99 wrote on 2022-03-28, 00:36:
@JazeFox: Is, or would it be possible, to use the Orpheus' /XOFi & /XOFe option with any CS423x card?
Depending on how you've connected the OPL3, it is likely possible. Whether JazeFox would want to allow those options for other designs is another matter, as it may cause confusion.
Currently, UNISOUND checks the on-card EEPROM to determine whether it is configuring an Orpheus, then acts accordingly. Assuming you've connected the external synth via the CS4237's SCS# pin, you still have a few options:
- Download the Orpheus EEPROM updater from the official Orpheus page, and flash that to your card. This should convince the current version of UNISOUND to process those options. See additional details below
- If your card's EISA ID is of the form CSC??37, as shown by UNISOUND, you can also download and try ORPHINIT from the Orpheus page. It only checks for a CS4237-based card, not specifically for an Orpheus.
- These suggestions apply to the CS4237 only; other chips in the series may have different behaviours/requirements not accounted for in current software.
- Enabling an external FM synth connected via SCS# triggers a chip bug that results in the loss of PCM volume control in Sound Blaster compatibility mode.
- If flashing the EEPROM: Depending on the capacity of the EEPROM on your card, you may need to comment the line that includes the firmware patch file, as some designs didn't have enough space for updated firmware.