VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know how many people know club myce (what used to be CD-Freaks) but it has been taken down.
Gone.
I used to spend a lot of time browsing the site (probably too much)
End of an era!

Reply 3 of 8, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hard to explain, but the core was the optical disc/drives discussions.
An example page can be seen in the attached zip file.

Or... in the wayback machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20220623042837/ht … -ray-writers/45

Attachments

• Filename
    myce.zip
    File size
    1.07 MiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File comment
    myce
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 8, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes - it was oriented towards optical media. People used to discuss media brands, post scans of media, etc
Topics looked like this:
Brand X is on sale at store Y this week.....
I just got brand X at store Y and the media code is Z.....
I think it's to the point no one is using optical media anymore except (ahem) for a few die-hards

Reply 5 of 8, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ncmark wrote on 2022-07-13, 10:50:
Yes - it was oriented towards optical media. People used to discuss media brands, post scans of media, etc Topics looked like th […]
Show full quote

Yes - it was oriented towards optical media. People used to discuss media brands, post scans of media, etc
Topics looked like this:
Brand X is on sale at store Y this week.....
I just got brand X at store Y and the media code is Z.....
I think it's to the point no one is using optical media anymore except (ahem) for a few die-hards

And at least some these die-hards have likely stocked up on the good stuff a while back (hoping it doesn't degrade over time) and mostly use rewritable CDs and DVDs anyway these days to avoid wasting media for retro or testing purposes .
At my current rate of use, I will run out well before my stock of new-in-box, sealed Kodak, Fuji, Verbatim, etc (all from the pre-outsourcing good old days) does, unless I live to be well over 100 .

I also have some M-DISC media (DVD-R and BD-R) that I was thinking of using for important stuff (wedding/event video, etc), but I have not gotten to testing it yet .

Reply 6 of 8, by zyzzle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The most important question is: Did anyone happen to make a backup or an achive of the posts?

So much information lost at the whim and caprice of a greedy company. No regard for preserving the technical nature of much data which is irreplaceable.

Reply 7 of 8, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've regularly visited CD Freaks in the 2000s. They had good guides on how to back up copy protected games and which burners work with which CD-Rs. I still own several high-end Plextor burners from that era.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 8 of 8, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
zyzzle wrote on 2022-07-14, 04:31:

The most important question is: Did anyone happen to make a backup or an achive of the posts?

Someone did. "I took a last backup of the forum in April"
https://confusedbird.com/thread-174.html
(second post)

Not sure if he eventually made it work though, judging by the rest of post.