VOGONS

First post, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As per title, i have a CPU that's pinned in place on a socket 3 zif. There's no room on either side to press it down and slide it too the side, even the jumper pins are too close. I need to add, the tension in this bar is pretty extreme, im concerned over snapping the plastic of the socket

Attachments

• DSC_0155.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0155.JPG
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You´ll have to apply a little force here. Push the wire down firmly and slide it a bit to the side. THere´s nothing that could be damaged. If a jumper pin gets bent a little - who cares.
Once that´s accomplished the opposite side will come loose easily.

Reply 2 of 7, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it lose but it was sketch as hell, the little plastic foot of the jumper is the same height as below the fastening point on the zif so there was no way to slide the bar past

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I applied paste and put it back together, went over all the jumpers, but still same issue. Decided to remove the CF2IDE drive and now it works, guess i just misread the beeping. Is it possible I had it in the wrong way or that my board just don't like the CF2IDE drive?

For reference I had the one on the left directly attached to the MB, no socket so I might have had it the wrong way around. Going to try the middle one too, the SD2IDE works fine so I'm good if it doesn't work out anyway

Attachments

• DSC_0158.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0158.JPG
    File size
    805.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 4 of 7, by timw4mail

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
myrsnipe wrote on 2022-07-14, 15:40:

I applied paste and put it back together, went over all the jumpers, but still same issue. Decided to remove the CF2IDE drive and now it works, guess i just misread the beeping. Is it possible I had it in the wrong way or that my board just don't like the CF2IDE drive?

For reference I had the one on the left directly attached to the MB, no socket so I might have had it the wrong way around. Going to try the middle one too, the SD2IDE works fine so I'm good if it doesn't work out anyway

Sometimes motherboards don't like the ones that connect directly to the board. The progress led stays lit, but nothing happens.

Reply 5 of 7, by myrsnipe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After some testing and having to install msdos on dosbox trough a Linux laptop and transferring over i finally got it working (only have one single non corrupt floppy and the gotek is still on its way). It refuses to boot from the CF card but does so from the SD card so I guess I'll go with that and use the CF as a transfer medium. Got a whole lot of other small issues to deal with but it's getting out of scope of this thread.

Reply 6 of 7, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Scrape off that paper sticker! I had seen several cheap chinese sellers that put together cheap computer leave stickers atop processor's surface, making heatsink's purpose moot.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.