VOGONS

Reply 360 of 488, by electric_monk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am planning to add SPDIF, though it's a little fiddly (the easiest way right now seems to be to actually plumb it in via the FPGA), so I've been prototyping to try adding the relevant stuff to try that out (the chip shortage is certainly slowing things down, though). In the mean time I2S is on the board between the CPU and the DAC, though it'd be pretty fiddly to solder (though definitely possible, I've done similar mods for testing/prototyping on other boards). On the DAC3100, pin 5 is DIN, pin 6 is WCLK and pin 7 is BCLK.

Just as an aside, my firmware does also do ATAPI ZIP drive simulation just now, though mostly tested with a Roland sampler as that was the feature request. HDD is also on the list but I've been juggling it with a few other refactors so not quite ready yet.

Reply 361 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
electric_monk wrote on 2022-01-24, 04:20:

Yes, mine supports a DOS utility I made (and I plan to add Win16 and Win32 apps at some point, and possibly Linux for a laugh) to control, as well as plugging in a Crystalfontz USB button/display module which gives you menus you can use to switch disk images/etc. On top of that you can control it via USB (not super useful for this, but some people use it for arcade stuff, usually with a Raspberry Pi).

Edit to add: things like HDD support and simultaneous master/slave have been on my TODO list for a long time, but aren't finished yet (too many other TODOs, projects and other aspects of life in general keep requiring attention). It does support writing to disk in ZIP disk mode, of course, but that's mega different to IDE hard disk 😉

Remember to grab the newest firmware from issues.tattiebogle.net in the "DOS compatibility" thread for the best support. Old firmwares had a couple of ISA timing issues.

Hi ElectricMonk, just wanted to check few things before I order:

1. Can this device coexist (in either master or slave mode) with another real IDE device connected to the same cable?
2. Is there a simple DOS utility that can change ISO images without the need of using Crystalfontz USB module?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jura Tastatura on 2022-06-17, 12:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 362 of 488, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
electric_monk wrote on 2022-01-24, 04:20:

Yes, mine supports a DOS utility I made (and I plan to add Win16 and Win32 apps at some point, and possibly Linux for a laugh) to control, as well as plugging in a Crystalfontz USB button/display module which gives you menus you can use to switch disk images/etc. On top of that you can control it via USB (not super useful for this, but some people use it for arcade stuff, usually with a Raspberry Pi).

Hola!

I've been using mine for a couple of OS installs and such, and aside from a couple of issues with DOS CD-ROM drivers it's been working quite well.
Where/how can I get my hands on one of those display/button modules? Having to connect a console to do much is a bit on the fiddly side, and makes it hard to create a "nice" build .. :)

Thanks,
/Eirik

The Floppy Museum - on a floppy, on a 286: http://floppy.museum
286-24/4MB/ET4kW32/GUS+SBPro2
386DX-40/20MB/CL5434 ISA/GUSExtreme
486BL-100/32MB/ET4kW32p VLB/GUSPnP/AWELegacy

~ love over gold ~

Reply 363 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2022-06-17, 09:48:

Where/how can I get my hands on one of those display/button modules? Having to connect a console to do much is a bit on the fiddly side, and makes it hard to create a "nice" build .. 😀

https://issues.tattiebogle.net/dokuwiki/doku. … e_simulator:lcd

Reply 364 of 488, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-06-17, 09:56:

Where/how can I get my hands on one of those display/button modules? Having to connect a console to do much is a bit on the fiddly side, and makes it hard to create a "nice" build .. :)

And since I clearly suck at searching and reading (sorry!), it doesn't matter which one I pick as long as it's in the CFA633 series (USB)?
And while I'm at it I'll be ordering another device from you as well, unless there's a new HW revision coming up soonish?

/Eirik

~ love over gold ~

Reply 365 of 488, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-06-17, 09:56:

Also too stupid to see who's writing. Sorry.
Today is not a good day for science.

~ love over gold ~

Reply 366 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2022-06-17, 10:21:

Also too stupid to see who's writing. Sorry.
Today is not a good day for science.

It happens when we're old. 😅
I've ordered one anyway, based on your review. 😁

Reply 367 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So... I took a bite and ordered a Tattiebogle IDE Simulator (so you don't have to - but you SHOULD). 😁
Just wanted to say that it works as advertised (although it's creator could do a better job at marketing it, or writing instructions for it), at least on my system with 430HX chipset. The best part for me is IDESIM utility in DOS with which you can easily switch between iso/bin/cue images loaded from USB drive or SD card. Like Daemon Tools for DOS with CD audio supported.

Also, that stupid (and only) review of the device on youtube does it no good. It was the only reason I didn't order it earlier, tbh. I was worried it wouldn't work based on that video. However, I was suspecting that dude from the video was doing something wrong because he didn't even bother to try new firmware, just negative talk and bashing the product, which is a shame.

I've been searching so long for this while it was here and available all the time. Was skeptic about the price too, however considering it's the only product of this type on the market and a one guy project with numerous hours of development went into it, I'd say it's more than fair.

Reply 368 of 488, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jura Tastatura wrote on 2022-07-12, 18:27:
So... I took a bite and ordered a Tattiebogle IDE Simulator (so you don't have to - but you SHOULD). :D Just wanted to say that […]
Show full quote

So... I took a bite and ordered a Tattiebogle IDE Simulator (so you don't have to - but you SHOULD). :D
Just wanted to say that it works as advertised (although it's creator could do a better job at marketing it, or writing instructions for it), at least on my system with 430HX chipset. The best part for me is IDESIM utility in DOS with which you can easily switch between iso/bin/cue images loaded from USB drive or SD card. Like Daemon Tools for DOS with CD audio supported.

Also, that stupid (and only) review of the device on youtube does it no good. It was the only reason I didn't order it earlier, tbh. I was worried it wouldn't work based on that video. However, I was suspecting that dude from the video was doing something wrong because he didn't even bother to try new firmware, just negative talk and bashing the product, which is a shame.

I've been searching so long for this while it was here and available all the time. Was skeptic about the price too, however considering it's the only product of this type on the market and a one guy project with numerous hours of development went into it, I'd say it's more than fair.

Did you manage to boot from it? I swear I did so once but now I can't for the life of me get that to work on any of the systems I'm playing with ..

For the record I agree with your assessment of the price point. Given the amount of work, cost of parts, and *exceedingly* small target market ..

/Eirik

~ love over gold ~

Reply 369 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haven't tried booting from it yet, but I guess should be no problem if device is detected in bios. Will try tomorrow when I get back from work and will let you know.
Btw., how do you start idesim.exe under Windows? Tried both "idesim /driver direct" and "idesim /driver aspi" in W98 but it doesn't recognize device although it's visible in windows explorer together with last mounted .iso file. Installed Adaptec Aspi drivers but that didn't help also.

Reply 370 of 488, by SmooBandit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ltning wrote on 2022-07-12, 18:50:

Did you manage to boot from it? I swear I did so once but now I can't for the life of me get that to work on any of the systems I'm playing with ..

I've installed Win98 (P-II) and WinXP (Athlon) from ISO images using the TattieBogle. I just set the BIOS to boot from CDROM, and then it found the loaded ISO during the post-POST sequence. I could NOT do this on my 486 because that BIOS does not support CDROM at all. Happy to compare more detailed notes if that would be of assistance.

The best part for me is IDESIM utility in DOS with which you can easily switch between iso/bin/cue images loaded from USB drive or SD card.

I've been using the CrystalFontz display, which works just fine on my 486. I have been waiting for the DOS utility so that I could try it out on a couple of cases that do have have spare 5.25" drive bays. Where on earth do you download the IDESIM utility from? Can't see it on Colin's support page. Oh, wait - it's on the MantisBT support page isn't it? And there is a new firmware.

Right, got to set aside some tinkering time.

Reply 371 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SmooBandit wrote on 2022-07-13, 07:41:

Right, got to set aside some tinkering time.

Lol, that's the best part of this hobby. 😁

Me too wanted to order that Crystalfontz display, but shipping to Croatia is like 150$ which is insane. 😁
Don't need it now otherwise would try to order parts from EU resellers.

Reply 372 of 488, by ltning

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All I can confirm now is that my ASUS P65UP5 (with dual PPro) *will* boot from SD2ATAPI and real CD/DVD-ROMs, but not from the Tattie. :(

I have no problems accessing it from e.g. DOS, but booting doesn't seem to work. I may have to try again, perhaps gremlins were near..

~ love over gold ~

Reply 373 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ltning wrote on 2022-07-13, 08:28:

All I can confirm now is that my ASUS P65UP5 (with dual PPro) *will* boot from SD2ATAPI and real CD/DVD-ROMs, but not from the Tattie. 🙁

I have no problems accessing it from e.g. DOS, but booting doesn't seem to work. I may have to try again, perhaps gremlins were near..

I figured out Tattie won't remember mounted .iso image after cold boot. It will remember after soft or hard reset but not after cold boot (which makes sense), maybe that's your problem?
I guess .iso image should be mounted with commands in autorun.txt file in order to always be mounted and visible. Did you try that?
I screwed up my W98 install yesterday so gonna try to install it from Tattie this time, later when I come home from work.

Reply 375 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It boots fine on my PC, had to put "disk select sd:/win98se.iso" line to autorun.txt. Before that I've copied win98se.iso to sd card, obviously (autorun.txt is also on sd card).
I'm using Tattie as a slave device, here's how my autorun.txt file looks like:

interface set slave
disk select sd:/win98se.iso

Hope it helps.

Reply 376 of 488, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I can confirm now is that my ASUS P65UP5 (with dual PPro) *will* boot from SD2ATAPI and real CD/DVD-ROMs, but not from the Tattie. 🙁

What is the SD2ATAPI ? Is it available to buy or DIY build ?

Reply 377 of 488, by Jura Tastatura

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2022-07-14, 17:32:

What is the SD2ATAPI ? Is it available to buy or DIY build ?

I'd like to know too, but it seems like he's on vacation and/or away from computer. 😁

Reply 378 of 488, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
So... I took a bite and ordered a Tattiebogle IDE Simulator (so you don't have to - but you SHOULD). :D Just wanted to say that […]
Show full quote

So... I took a bite and ordered a Tattiebogle IDE Simulator (so you don't have to - but you SHOULD). 😁

Do you think the review was accurate at the time perhaps? Maybe it's been updated and fixed?

Also how easy do you find selecting and changing between CDs in DOS? I'm thinking a game with several CDs like I dunno Riven where you may have to keep changing.

Reply 379 of 488, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is that sintech's adapter ? if so, which revision do you have ?

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port